RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,722
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 803
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 8 2010, 11:52 PM   #1
Mr Light
Admiral

The Other Guys

We went to see the new Will Ferrell movie today, only because we had free tickets for it. I had zero anticipation for this flick.

It was actually pretty hilarious! And in addition to being a good comedy, it was ALSO a good big budget cop action movie. There was some crazy carnage.

Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg were surprising an amazing comedy pairing. Ferrell was a lot more subdued than he normally was, he was more annoying than a living cartoon, and Wahlberg's exasperation against him was just hilarious. It's definitely the best showing from Marky Mark I've ever seen.

So... recommended! There were multiple surprising laugh out loud moments.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2010, 01:27 AM   #2
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Re: The Other Guys

It was a very funny movie. Ferrell's best performance in a while. Special shoutout to Michael Keaton, who has a very funny turn as the police captain. Between this and voicing Ken in Toy Story 3, it's been a very good comeback year for him.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2010, 01:39 AM   #3
Mr Light
Admiral

Yeah, I'd forgotten all about Michael Keaton and how funny he can be. He just disappeared after White Noise and that was 2005 I think?

Old August 9 2010, 03:28 AM   #4
Theonethatis
Commander

I really liked it. Wasnt expecting anything but was again very pleased with the results.
Theonethatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2010, 03:33 AM   #5
nx1701g
Admiral

Who would of thought that a bit at the Academy Awards would lead to a pretty good movie. I thought it was pretty good.

Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Equal time for those of us who thought it was lame. It was funny in some spots, trite in others and downright stupid in some respects.

-Godzilla, King Of The Monsters
Admiral2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Equal time for those of us who thought it was lame. It was funny in some spots, trite in others and downright stupid in some respects.
What do you mean in some respects
Old August 11 2010, 11:53 PM   #8
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
What do you mean in some respects
Police Captain Michael Keaton moonlighting as a manager at Bed Bath and Beyond? And every now and then he confuses the two jobs?

Asinine.

Will Farell acts like his wife EVA MENDES is not hot?

B.S.

The flying peacock references were just gay. Absolutely gay.

The movie is uneven. It offers a few laughs but it's just not laugh-out-loud funny.

Old August 11 2010, 11:59 PM   #9
Mr Light
Admiral

Cops moonlight a second job all the time... though obviously being a BBB manager is an exaggeration of that a bit. And they explained in the movie why Ferrell kept claiming his wife was unattractive.

Old August 12 2010, 12:06 AM   #10
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Cops moonlight a second job all the time... though obviously being a BBB manager is an exaggeration of that a bit.
A blatant, groan-worthy exaggeration. Not a funny one.

And they explained in the movie why Ferrell kept claiming his wife was unattractive.
That's the BS part of it. It's like the writers said "Hmmm, let's throw in an 'awww' moment now because we shot our wad with everything else."

Old August 18 2010, 05:21 PM   #11
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Well, I got to disagree with you Admiral2. Spoilers follow, so if you haven't seen it, you were warned.

After movies I hated (Land Of The Lost, Blades of Glory, Semi-Pro) or a decent movie with another stupid Ferrell character (Stepbrothers), I think he finally gives another great performance. Ferrell is great as the straight laced character instead of his usual out of control, stupid characters. He was believable as the paper pushing desk jockey, even if the pimp storyline was a little stupid.

The supporting cast was also good:

- Mark Wahlberg does a great opposite to Ferrell.
- Michael Keaton did a great captain, crotchety yet still a good man.
- A surprise for me was Steve Coogan as Ershon; he had some great lines and great moments.
- I thought the cast of Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson as the two superstar cops was ingenious. I was surprised that they were killed off so early.
- Ice-T as a narrator? I think he has a future in it.

If you're going to it looking for Shakespeare, you're not going to find it. But I saw it in a theatre with people of all ages and the laughs were pretty constant.
Old August 18 2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Saw this a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it more than I expected. Funnier than your average summer comedy. I guess that's damning with faint praise, but everybody at my showing was laughing a lot.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2010, 06:55 AM   #13
Nowhere Man
Commodore

I thought it was stupid as shit, in a good way. I was suprised about how well Walberg and farell worked together. I thought the movie was pretty dam funny. Good to see Keaton get his funny bone back. I get that the writers were purposely over the top and down right retarted and unbelieveable. I think it was all part of the joke. A parody of a buddy cop movie, without bieng " Not another Cop Movie", movie. ould watch Walberg bieng a pissed off asshole cop for hours on end. He was my second favorite character in "The Departed" He should have his own show," Pissed off Asshole Cop." The only missing line was," Say hello to your mother for me." That would have been hilarious. We don't want no scrubs.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2010, 01:25 PM   #14
Mr Light
Admiral

Yeah I waited the whole movie for him to say "say hello to your mother for me". Wasted opportunity!

Old August 19 2010, 01:29 PM   #15
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Danny99 wrote: View Post
Well, I got to disagree with you Admiral2.
(shrug) Well, I did imply I was going to be the only "nay" vote around this here thread. Looks like that's how it shaped up.