Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 15 2010, 03:30 PM   #91
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Re: Things that have Changed Since You were in School

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
TighsEye wrote: View Post
Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post

I believe she is a Librarian.
But why would a librarian need a pager?
Librarians can use pagers for everything. That said, most libraries use pagers for customers when an internet terminal is available.
When I first visited the Public Record Office in England, ten years ago, readers chose a table, and then were assigned a pager and a pigeonhole with the same letter and number. When you ordered a document, you waited for your pager to go off, and then you went to your pigeonhole to pick it up.

That's another thing that has changed since I was in school. On my first research trip after I got my PhD, I discovered that the pagers had been replaced with a web-based system. And the Public Record Office had been renamed the National Archives.
Old August 15 2010, 03:42 PM   #92
Goliath
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Common Era and Before Common Era. It's a bit silly considering they still use Jesus' supposed birth year as the point of differentiation.
Not necessarily. "BC" means "Before Christ," and not everybody believes that Jesus of Nazareth was, in fact, Jesus Christ. Similarly, AD means "anno domini," or "year of the Lord," and not everybody believes that Jesus is Lord.

There's nothing wrong with using the traditional date of Jesus' birth as an epoch: considering the impact that his teachings and followers have had on Western and even world history, it's as good a date as any other. BCE and CE are just more inclusive terms than BC and AD.

Though personally, if we ever do reform our dating system, I would favour making the year 1543 CE the new year zero: that was the year in which Copernicus and Vesalius published their epoch-making works on astronomy and anatomy, and the traditional date for the beginning of the Scientific Revolution.
Old August 15 2010, 03:46 PM   #93
RoJoHen
Awesome

Goliath wrote: View Post
Though personally, if we ever do reform our dating system, I would favour making the year 1543 CE the new year zero: that was the year in which Copernicus and Vesalius published their epoch-making works on astronomy and anatomy, and the traditional date for the beginning of the Scientific Revolution.
I'd be very surprised if we ever changed our dating system at this point. If you thought Y2K was bad, just imagine what would happen if we suddenly lost 1500 years!
Old August 15 2010, 04:53 PM   #94
Goliath
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I'd be very surprised if we ever changed our dating system at this point. If you thought Y2K was bad, just imagine what would happen if we suddenly lost 1500 years!
True. But, hey--I can dream, can't I?
Old August 15 2010, 08:08 PM   #95
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Common Era and Before Common Era. It's a bit silly considering they still use Jesus' supposed birth year as the point of differentiation.
Not necessarily. "BC" means "Before Christ," and not everybody believes that Jesus of Nazareth was, in fact, Jesus Christ. Similarly, AD means "anno domini," or "year of the Lord," and not everybody believes that Jesus is Lord.
Yes, I know.

There's nothing wrong with using the traditional date of Jesus' birth as an epoch: considering the impact that his teachings and followers have had on Western and even world history, it's as good a date as any other. BCE and CE are just more inclusive terms than BC and AD..
I don't disagree. My point wasn't about using Jesus' supposed birth year -- I've no problem with that. My point is that changing the terms to be "more inclusive" is a bit silly considering they are still referring to Jesus' supposed birth year.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2010, 08:25 PM   #96
macghoul
I believe most sincerely

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macghoul

Omnius wrote: View Post
macloudt wrote: View Post
Omnius wrote: View Post
Highschool...I had no internet, we were still using guilders and it was always a pain in the proverbial ass when you went shopping in Germany (I live at the border) where everything was in Deutsche Marken ofc. I do miss the rijksdaalder though. As a dutch saying goes: "On the market your guilder is worth a dollar."
My aunt gave me a 1963 rijksdaalder made into a necklace for my 18th birthday, 24 years ago. Speaking of German borders, this aunt lives in Venlo. My parents are from Roermond.
Cool!So you're a Limburgian, I'm from a town near Nijmegen.
Have you been back to the Netherlands since you left?
Yes, quite a few times. My dad worked for C&A and was transferred to Canada by the company. Since our entire extended family lives in Nederland the company paid for us to travel there once a year. I still have fond memories of travelling everywhere on colourful trains during the 70s and 80s, and I regularly crave frietsaus.
Old August 15 2010, 09:03 PM   #97
Goliath
Vice Admiral

My point is that changing the terms to be "more inclusive" is a bit silly considering they are still referring to Jesus' supposed birth year.
Silly, how?

Do you think it's a trivial thing to compel people to profess the truth of someone else's religion?
Old August 15 2010, 09:05 PM   #98
DanCPA
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanCPA Send a message via Yahoo to DanCPA

...t would happen if we suddenly lost 1500 years!
Yay... I wouldn't have to make another payment on my mortgages for 1500 years!

I say we go with this idea!
Old August 15 2010, 09:23 PM   #99
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

My point is that changing the terms to be "more inclusive" is a bit silly considering they are still referring to Jesus' supposed birth year.
Silly, how?

Do you think it's a trivial thing to compel people to profess the truth of someone else's religion?
What?

No, I am saying it is a matter of semantics.

View my art!
Old August 15 2010, 09:26 PM   #100
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Silly, how?

What?

Except it's not. I explained that it was something more substantial than mere semantics in my post.
Old August 15 2010, 09:28 PM   #101
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

Common Era and Before Common Era. It's a bit silly considering they still use Jesus' supposed birth year as the point of differentiation.
Not necessarily. “BC” means “Before Christ,” and not everybody believes that Jesus of Nazareth was, in fact, Jesus Christ. Similarly, AD means “anno domini,” or “year of the Lord,” and not everybody believes that Jesus is Lord.
Translated properly from the Latin, anno domini means “in the year of our Lord.” So it's technically incorrect to say “the year 1565 A.D.” or “the fourteenth century A.D.” We should say, “Such-and-such happened A.D. 1565.” But nobody says that, of course.
I'd make Henry Ford's birth year the new Year One. Of course, by then, babies will be grown in bottles.
Brown-Eyed Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2010, 09:30 PM   #102
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Silly, how?

What?

Except it's not. I explained that it was something more substantial than mere semantics in my post.
I disagree.

View my art!
Old August 15 2010, 09:35 PM   #103
Goliath
Vice Admiral

What?

I disagree.
On what grounds?

If you say "it's a matter of semantics," you are claiming that BC/AD and BCE/CE are just different terms that mean the same things.

They aren't. BC and AD have religious meanings that BCE and CE do not, as I clearly indicated.
Old August 15 2010, 11:21 PM   #104
RoJoHen
Awesome

I disagree.
On what grounds?

If you say "it's a matter of semantics," you are claiming that BC/AD and BCE/CE are just different terms that mean the same things.

They aren't. BC and AD have religious meanings that BCE and CE do not, as I clearly indicated.
But her point is that they're still using Jesus' birth as the dividing line, regardless of the terminology used. If someone asked, "When did the Common Era begin?" the answer is still, "It started when Jesus was born."

Unless something else happened that year worth noting, it's still about Jesus.
Old August 16 2010, 12:14 AM   #105
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I disagree.
On what grounds?

But her point is that they're still using Jesus' birth as the dividing line, regardless of the terminology used. If someone asked, "When did the Common Era begin?" the answer is still, "It started when Jesus was born."

Unless something else happened that year worth noting, it's still about Jesus.
Well, I don't like to brag...
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote