Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Your favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie?
Praying with Anger (1992) 0 0%
Wide Awake (1998) 0 0%
The Sixth Sense (1999) 28 39.44%
Ubreakable (2000) 25 35.21%
Signs (2002) 13 18.31%
The Village (2004) 2 2.82%
Lady in the Water (2006) 2 2.82%
The Happening (2008) 1 1.41%
The Last Airbender (2010) 0 0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 11 2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Aragorn
Admiral

What is your favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie?

Chances are this will be another lopsided poll with only two of his movies getting the majority of votes. After The Sixth Sense came out he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now people laugh when they see his name listed in a movie trailer. But The Last Airbender still made a ton of money despite being his worst-reviewed movie (maybe being adapted from another source had something to do with it), so he won't be falling off the face of the earth anytime soon.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: What is your favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie?

The Sixth Sense

I will give shout outs to Unbreakable (which you spelled without the "n" in the poll) and Signs. I didn't see the movies before "Sense" and it's been downhill since Signs.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2010, 07:50 PM   #3
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^This. Sixth Sense was a very well made film. Unbreakable was fun, and over the top, but it at least fit with the whole idea of the film. Signs was very heavy-handed, but had some good qualities to balance it out.

After that, it was a steady slide in the crapper. Yes, there were good things about The Village (great looking) and Lady in the Water (Paul Giamatti), but the bad outweighed the good.

By the time I saw The Happening (hubby's idea), I was actually downright annoyed at the director, and just wanted to reach through the screen to slap the hell out of the person who put it together.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2010, 07:56 PM   #4
The Boy Who Cried Worf
Rear Admiral

Unbreakable is one of my all-time favorite films.
Old August 11 2010, 08:51 PM   #5
joVuNik
Lieutenant

^ Mine too, wicked movie

- joVuNik
"Often your utterances and expressions of your face leak out the secrets of your hidden thoughts." - Hazrat Ali a.s.
joVuNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2010, 09:08 PM   #6
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

I voted for "Unbreakable". "The Sixth Sense" used to be my favorite, and it's still really close for me between the two. But for some reason I find myself thinking about "Unbreakable" more and watching it more. It's by no means perfect, I think, but I just love the atmosphere and the way he builds the two main characters. In any case, I think they're both great movies.

I also enjoyed "Signs" quite a bit as well as "The Village" (though to a lesser extent). I recently saw "The Happening" and seriously asked myself if it was actually from the same film maker. I have no clue what he was thinking when he made that one, to be honest.

I haven't seen any of the others nor am I particularly interested, to be honest. I just don't find the stories and/or settings very appealing. I do really hope Shyamalan will one day make another movie like or as appealing as "The Sixth Sense" or "Unbreakable".
Old August 11 2010, 09:11 PM   #7
JohnChod
Captain

Pretty close call, but I went with Unbreakable since it is more re-watchable.

Loved Sixth Sense and re-watched it after I knew the ending just to look for more of the "clues" in the film, but haven't really cared to watch it again since.
JohnChod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2010, 09:51 PM   #8
byron lomax
Commander

Unbreakable gets my vote too. It's a tricky idea that could have ended up an embarassing disaster, but MNS managed to pull it off. It had some very powerful scenes.

SS is saved by the ending twist - it came as a nice surprise, after what had honestly become a pretty boring film in the last half hour or so.

Signs has some good, jumpy moments but shows the first signs that MNS's schtick was wearing a little thin. The Village was the first thoroughly bad film, with terrible, expository dialogue that has remained on his films since.
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2010, 09:54 PM   #9
Mr Light
Admiral

His only movie that I truly enjoy is SIGNS. I didn't care for Sixth Sense. Unbreakable was boring. Village I actually kinda liked though the plot twist irks me. Lady in Water and Happening were hilariously bad. Last Airbender... a bastardization of my all time favorite animated series, but worth watching just because it is an adaptation of it.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2010, 10:43 PM   #10
RoJoHen
Awesome

"The Sixth Sense" is the only movie of his that I can stand, and I don't even particularly like it that much because the twist was ruined for me before I saw it.
Old August 12 2010, 06:40 AM   #11
golden11
Ensign

the six sense can't be surpassed.
golden11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2010, 07:13 AM   #12
Mojochi
Commodore

I voted 6th Sense, but it's really a photo finish with Unbreakable, & Signs follows suit just as exceptionally. I just think that 6th Sense pulled you into the characters a very slight amount more than the other two,

I too feel that things began going down hill after those ideal three. The following three seemed to worsen a bit more each time, imo
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2010, 07:14 AM   #13
Nowhere Man
Commodore

My favorite is The Happening, in a strange twist i'm actually lying. I've never seen the movie and actually like The Sixth Sense the most.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2010, 09:47 PM   #14
Beagleman
Captain

I may be the only person on the planet but The Sixth Sense doesn't do it for me, it's quite a good movie and all but...that's it. On the other hand I love the atmosphere in The Village which is my choice, closely followed by Signs and Lady in the Water, Unbreakable comes fourth. (I know...Blasphemy! )
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2010, 12:28 AM   #15
Mr Light
Admiral

So his two pre-Sense movies... were they released in theater?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote