RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 434
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 4 2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Turbolift Entrances

I didn't look for any screen caps but from what I remember the floor of the bridge leads right into the turbolift like it's just another room instead of having a thin break or seam that a lift would have.
That's odd.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 01:33 PM   #2
M
Vice Admiral

Re: Turbolift Entrances

Also, there's just one set of doors.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Hey yeah. That's weird too.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Timo
Admiral

The 24th century is just very, very good at seams.

I can't get TrekCore images to open from where I'm typing (at work, but I didn't tell you that), but IIRC these seamless turbolifts appeared just twice: early on in the TOS pilot "Where No Man" (back when they had raw concrete floors for the sets, and still dared experiment with fancy camera angles), and in the TNG pilot "Encounter at Farpoint" (where the bridge set was sort of halfway finished). And I might be wrong about the latter...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Boxyno1
Lieutenant Commander

Location: Bristol, UK, European Alliance, Earth, Terran System, Sector 001, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy

And the lift is always on that level when someone on the bridge walks towards it, they don't even pause to see if the doors will open for them, they just assume it will open and the lift will be there
Boxyno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Boxyno1 wrote: View Post
And the lift is always on that level when someone on the bridge walks towards it, they don't even pause to see if the doors will open for them, they just assume it will open and the lift will be there
From an In-Universe POV...

It could be that there is always a turbolift at the bridge, when one turbolift goes to the Bridge, the Bridge Turbolift moves to allow this Turbolift access, unless of course theres two turbolifts going to the bridge, in which case the one that gets there first causes a slight delay for the second
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 06:22 PM   #7
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Boxyno1 wrote: View Post
EDIT -- (don't make any sense.)
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 06:32 PM   #8
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

I always wonder what they do in the turbolifts. You see them go in; you see them come out.

Do they break out the iCommunicate and sext each other?
Old August 4 2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Praxius
Captain

For the record, I believe there are two turbolifts that go to the bridge of the Enterprise D.... the main one everybody seems to use a lot by the Engineering terminal and the other is located next to Picard's ready room...... and I do believe I've seen episodes where crew members were waiting for a lift while on the bridge.... although not very often.

As it goes for finding a clear shot of the main turbolift on the Enterprise D bridge online, it doesn't seem to be the easiest thing to find.
Praxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 10:38 PM   #10
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
The 24th century is just very, very good at seams.

I can't get TrekCore images to open from where I'm typing (at work, but I didn't tell you that), but IIRC these seamless turbolifts appeared just twice: early on in the TOS pilot "Where No Man" (back when they had raw concrete floors for the sets, and still dared experiment with fancy camera angles), and in the TNG pilot "Encounter at Farpoint" (where the bridge set was sort of halfway finished). And I might be wrong about the latter...

Timo Saloniemi
I gotcha, Timo!

At no time was the turbolift on TOS ever directly on the concrete floor. First off, the soundstage floor wasn't level, and they had to compensate for the steady dropoff from one end of the double length soundstage to the other by building up and bracing a new floor surface with joists. Second, the turbolift on the TOS bridge was on the UPPER level, which was raised, what was it, eight, ten inches?

Now, if you're talking about the corridor, then yeah, that's directly on their built up level floor. But the bridge? Never!
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 12:27 AM   #11
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Did the Connie-Refit not originally have 2 turbolifts? IIRC in TWOK the ship only had the one Turbolift
Old August 5 2010, 12:30 AM   #12
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

In TWOK there's two turbolifts, one to either side of the console directly behind Kirk.

Kind of an amusing thing to hear given your avatar, btw.

Actually, given your avatar, Kirk, McCoy and Saavik take the other lift when heading to the transporter room to board Spacelab.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 12:33 AM   #13
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
In TWOK there's two turbolifts, one to either side of the console directly behind Kirk.

Kind of an amusing thing to hear given your avatar, btw.

Actually, given your avatar, Kirk, McCoy and Saavik take the other lift when heading to the transporter room to board Spacelab.
Its been a long day....!!

Yeah sorry my mistake, it looks as if they modified the placement of some consoles, they moved the Science Station from behind the Captain's Chair to the 3 o'clock position
Old August 5 2010, 12:37 AM   #14
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Yep, I really noticed the console shuffle when I watched TMP and TWoK close to each other.

BTW, we seem to be bouncing between the same threads. Good thing there's two turbolifts!
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 12:39 AM   #15
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
Yep, I really noticed the console shuffle when I watched TMP and TWoK close to each other.

BTW, we seem to be bouncing between the same threads. Good thing there's two turbolifts!
Very Quick

Anyone know of any reason as to why they did the Console Shuffle?