Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 15 2010, 04:30 AM   #16
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile
Re: Observation having to do with the cast

Milo Bloom wrote: View Post
When casting TNG, one gets the feeling that, not only were they going for a diverse crew, but they were also intentionally looking to not simply duplicate the TOS cast. Thus the youngish cowboy-diplomat captain becomes a seasoned man of letters, and his XO is the up and coming young fellow quick with a bit of wit or his phaser.
TNG followed the original plan for Phase II almost to the letter. The veteran captain (Kirk), the young brash XO (Decker), the telepathic officer with a past relationship with the XO (Ilia), and the science officer who wants to be human (Xon).
Old August 15 2010, 05:00 AM   #17
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

^^^ Did the idea of having a families on board start with Phase II, or was that new to TNG?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2010, 12:01 AM   #18
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
jonathan252 wrote: View Post
The producers of Star Trek TNG may have messed up here - why would they cast him as a fatherly figure? It serves no point.
I don't understand YOUR point. Why do you think they messed up? And what point would be served by his NOT sometimes being a fatherly figure?
A ship's Captain being a father to his crew is a concept that goes back for thousands of years
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 01:11 AM   #19
redabby
Ensign

Hi, I also cannot quite See your point, I never noticed him being particularly fatherly other than with Wesley or maybe Data . I suppose being the captain will always mean a bit of a gap between yourself and the other crew members whether they are younger or older because of rank. Also 7 years is not alot of difference in age when you are a mature adult so I don't see that point and he had a equal relationship with Dr Crusher who was similar in age. Claire.
redabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2010, 11:13 PM   #20
Willieck
Commander

Malleus wrote: View Post
Have you noticed that Patrick Stewart is at least 12 years older then all the rest of the cast of Star Trek TNG?
He was only born in 1940. Two of the cast members were born in 1949.

Never mind. Devil Eyes beat me to it.
He's the same age as me. Just a youngster in fact.

The Higherrrrrr, the fewerrrrrr.
Willieck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2010, 07:03 AM   #21
jonathan252
Ensign

spookytage wrote: View Post
How about Admiral Satie? She outranked him and was older than him, and their relationship changed a great deal during the episode.

I think it makes perfect sense to have a senior captain commanding the Federation flagship.
I just saw that episode for the first time a few days ago. "The Drumhead," it is called. It is a somewhat interesting episode. That was quite a negative encounter Patrick had with Jean Simmons - I've never seen Captain Picard in such an encounter before. I've seen Michael Dorn in one (with the ambassador who was annoying him), Data in one (with the woman who destroyed the Crystalline Entity), Commander Riker in many (with his ex-captain Eric, with Deanna Troy in Gambit, Worf in All Good Things, with the current captain and Captain Picard in Gambit, in Frame of Mind, on the Klingon ship in that officer exchange program episode), but not Captain Picard. It was interesting and instructive, and only possible with someone who is his rank or outranks him, and is also his age or older. Thanks for the info.

I never disputed that it makes sense to have a senior captain commanding the Federation Flagship though. It makes sense. He wasn't exactly senior though. He wasn't as old as he looked, only 53 at the end of the series.

Last edited by jonathan252; October 8 2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Adding more content.
jonathan252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2010, 05:16 PM   #22
vess
Lieutenant

Although it was only for one act of one episode, Admiral J.P. Hansen is another example of someone older and outranking Picard.
vess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2010, 07:27 PM   #23
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kreacher wrote: View Post
The producers of Star Trek TNG may have messed up here - why would they cast him as a fatherly figure? It serves no point.
I don't understand YOUR point. Why do you think they messed up? And what point would be served by his NOT sometimes being a fatherly figure?
I'm confused as well. What's wrong with him being a fatherly figure?
Old October 11 2010, 10:27 PM   #24
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Horror Club wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
A ship's Captain being a father to his crew is a concept that goes back for thousands of years
Exactly.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2010, 10:55 PM   #25
jonathan252
Ensign

Not RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Psychological issues with parents, I don't know too much about Freudian psychology though. Maybe the producers are trying to get us to subliminally like the show more by identifying Patrick Stewart as a father figure. Wouldn't work for people who are older then him though.
jonathan252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2010, 11:58 PM   #26
Sky
Captain

Psychological issues with parents, I don't know too much about Freudian psychology though. Maybe the producers are trying to get us to subliminally like the show more by identifying Patrick Stewart as a father figure. Wouldn't work for people who are older then him though.
I don't think there's anything Freudian there. After all, Kirk was supposed to be an exceptionally young starship captain at his mid-thirties. I think that Picard is more or less the typical age. Of course, his age might make him seem more trustworthy - I myself prefer experienced pilots in their 50's to pilots in their 20's after all when I'm on an airplane...
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2010, 01:35 AM   #27
nixified
Cadet

Send a message via AIM to nixified

Has anyone mentioned Guinan? She's possibly the oldest humanoid in TNG, and has hundreds of years on Picard...
nixified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2010, 05:22 AM   #28
RoJoHen
Awesome

Not RoJoHen wrote: View Post

What psychological issues with parents? What are you even talking about? Just because a character is old doesn't mean I automatically think of them as parents. Picard is an older, experienced role model for his crew. I still don't understand why you think this is a bad thing.
Old October 12 2010, 05:27 AM   #29
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

Oh yeah, they definitely wanted us to identify with him as a father figure. Which was why they made a point of him saying during the pilot that he didn't like kids, and wanted his first officer to deal with them. Very fatherly, to be sure.

Who tagged this thread with "brainwashing?" And why? Because I don't think having a veteran officer as the commander of a large vessel qualifies as brainwashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2010, 03:01 PM   #30
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

We're all confusing the actors w/ the characters. The ages of the actors themselves are irrelevant. Picard was born in 2305. According to Memory Alpha, he was captain of the Enterprise-D from 2364 to 2371, so he was 59 to 66 years old.

nixified wrote: View Post
Has anyone mentioned Guinan? She's possibly the oldest humanoid in TNG, and has hundreds of years on Picard...
Good point.

Maybe the producers are trying to get us to subliminally like the show more by identifying Patrick Stewart as a father figure. Wouldn't work for people who are older then him though.
Jonathan, I think you're trying to read way too much into Captain Picard's age. You taking psychology this semester?
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote