Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 6 2014, 11:18 PM   #1096
Stephen!
Captain

Re: Power Rangers

Another (higher quality) scan of Diesel Oh

Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2014, 05:06 AM   #1097
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

A Face from the Past
I mentioned this earlier, but I've really been enjoying the recurring motif of supporting characters and/or civilians having a large part to play in the stories of this season, which sets it apart from other seasons in the franchise in a rather unique way and makes it feel very much like a 'mainstream' dramatic series, and it was nice to see said motif return for this episode, especially since it gave us some nice character development in the process.

I've really been enjoying the role that Ron Rogge's Captain Mitchell plays in the season; it's very similar to the role that Colonel Truman has in RPM, but with Mitchell being a little more 'open' and interactive with the Lightspeed Rangers than Truman was with his son's team.

Carter not wanting to take a day off from training reminded me very much of what happened with Jayden in Day Off, with the added bonus that it led directly to the big discovery of the episode, which is that Mitchell was the firefighter who saved him when he was a child.

Speaking of said discovery, I really liked the way that Carter put the pieces together and sussed it out.

On the villains side of the coin, I continue to really enjoy Olympius' character, and love that there's continued tension between him, Vypra, and Loki.

The Queen's Return
This episode reminded me very much of The Master's Last Stand from Wild Force, both in terms of its story and its structure, with both episodes featuring a lot of individual Ranger action interspersed with some pretty important story advancement.

The continued tension between Olympius, Vypra, and Loki continues to delight me, although I do think Olympius gave in a bit too easily after Loki ordered him around. The plus of that is that it let Vypra and Loki be the ones solely responsible for the state that Bansheera ends up in, making it all that much more easy for Olympius to assert himself by being the one to try and fix what their incompetence - and the Rangers' interference - wrought.

I really enjoyed Ryan's role in this episode; I thought it was great that not only was he able to provide insight into what Olympius and Co. were planning to do, but that he was also able to ruin Bansheera's return by prematurely stopping the ceremony. It also made perfect sense that he'd want to go off on his own to figure out a way to stop her and the other demons once and for all, allowing him to be temporarily written out of storylines while also keeping the door open for his return later on.

It would've been interesting to see Bansheera in all of her fully corporeal glory, but I actually like her deformed appearance design-wise, and would be interested in knowing whether or not it was original or if it came from the season's Sentai counterpart.

The Omega Project
Traditionally, episodes that introduce brand-new Zord sets have been somewhat hit-or-miss quality-wise; sometimes they're really good, and sometimes they fall totally flat and end up being a complete mess.

Thankfully, The Omega Project qualifies as a success, because it would've sucked to see an otherwise awesome episode dragged down by a crappy Zord rollout.

Since, as noted twice already, I've been really enjoying the season's motif of making supporting characters and/or civilians an integral part of the storytelling, I really liked Simon's role in this episode, especially since it took some quick thinking on his part to get first Joel and then Ms. Fairweather to pay attention to him and the information he'd uncovered. I also really enjoyed the twist they put on the continuing saga of Joel's interest in Ms. F by having Simon 'one-up' him by asking her to go out with him as opposed to Joel.

I really like the Omega Zords, design-wise, and am glad to finally see them introduced in the show itself after having been present in the end credits since the season started (which was kind of an interesting choice, IMO). I also liked that we got to see them used individually before circumstances forced the Rangers to initiate Megazord mode.

Going back to Joel once again striking out with Ms. Fairweather and getting one-upped by Simon, it not only made for some nice humor, but also helps lead rather nicely into his behavior in Trakeena's Revenge.

Trakeena's Revenge, Parts 1 and 2
This episode has been largely panned by fans as being extremely poor, but, as with Samurai's Clash of the Red Rangers, I honestly think it's a team-up special whose quality is entirely dependent on when and how it's viewed within the larger framework of the season's ongoing story arc.

I also think it holds up quite well in spite of the behind-the-scenes chaos that plagued its production, especially since it gives us our first real chance to see the Omega Megazord in action, provides some nice opportunity for Olympius to assert himself, gives Joel a chance to be the charming, charismatic 'ladies man' he fancies himself as, and continues the motif of civilians and/or supporting characters playing a crucial role in driving storylines forward.

Carter's bonding with Heather throughout the 2-parter reminded me a lot of the way that Ryan's encounter with the two kids he ran into in Ryan's Destiny ended up driving that story forward, and made for some rather fun scenes, although I do have to question the wisdom of telling her to pull the fire alarm in P2 in order to evacuate the building where Triskull and Trakeena were conducting their experiments to restore her powers.

I do wish we'd seen a little bit more setup for Trakeena and the Galaxy Rangers' involvement in the story, as well as more of an explanation as to how and why they and the Lightspeed Rangers were aware of one another, but that's really only a minor nitpick.

I do find myself wondering why Olympius' voice was so different throughout the episode in comparison to the rest of his prior appearances, but that's really neither here nor there, although it did make me appreciate that the new actress they cast as Trakeena at least tried to approximate Amy Miller's voice for the role more than I probably would've otherwise.

All in all, I think this two-parter succeeded in doing what it was trying to do, which was give us a story that allowed the Lightspeed and Galaxy Rangers to team up while also somewhat driving the storyline of Lightspeed Rescue forward and continuing its unique motifs and style of storytelling, even if there were some behind-the-scenes wrinkles associated with its production and even if it was ultimately aired entirely out of sequence, thus contributing to a poor fandom opinion of it.
Old April 12 2014, 05:44 AM   #1098
Sketcher
Commander

I find it interesting that you seem to be enjoying Lightspeed so much. I remember utterly loathing it in its initial run. I was also pretty off by the return to Earth-based stories after In Space and Lost Galaxy. For some reason I thought they'd continue on other planets for every consecutive series. Oh to be 12 again. I also hated the idea of man-made powers. Again. 12.

But now that I'm older, those concepts have softened by logic and another thirteen years of Ranger stories. But what I remember disliking most about Lightspeed were the characters. They just seemed to be so bland, especially Carter, compared to other Red Rangers like Leo or Tommy, who had more charisma and a richer backstory.
Sketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2014, 06:17 AM   #1099
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Sketcher wrote: View Post
What I remember disliking most about Lightspeed were the characters. They just seemed to be so bland.
To each their own.

Lightspeed Rescue has, so far, been reminding me a lot of RPM, minus the dystopian tone. I've also been seeing a lot of similarities to Lost Galaxy, albeit without the Science Fiction trappings of that season.

I also see a lot of 'mainstream' dramatic trappings present in the season that make it somewhat unique in terms of the franchise and the tropes and conventions typically alssociated with it.
Old April 12 2014, 03:02 PM   #1100
Christopher
Writer

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
It would've been interesting to see Bansheera in all of her fully corporeal glory, but I actually like her deformed appearance design-wise, and would be interested in knowing whether or not it was original or if it came from the season's Sentai counterpart.
Well...

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/G...itch_Grandiene

I'm guessing that by "deformed appearance" you mean her half-emerged cocoon/statue form, and that aborted emergence into reality is based directly on the GoGoV version, judging from the Wiki.

I figure that all the footage of the villains in their lair, other than close-ups of Vypra, comes from GoGoV directly.

Sketcher wrote: View Post
I find it interesting that you seem to be enjoying Lightspeed so much. I remember utterly loathing it in its initial run. I was also pretty off by the return to Earth-based stories after In Space and Lost Galaxy. For some reason I thought they'd continue on other planets for every consecutive series. Oh to be 12 again. I also hated the idea of man-made powers. Again. 12.
I was about two decades older than that at the time, but I loved the idea of the Rangers working for a human organization and having publicly known identities. It was a refreshing change of approach and one I wish they'd used more often. (As I mused before, I wonder how differently PR would've turned out if they'd started with Jetman instead of Zyuranger.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2014, 06:05 PM   #1101
Christopher
Writer

Sorry for the double post, but it seems appropriate to put a new-episode review in a separate post:

Well, "Silver Lining Part 2" went surprisingly dark with Orion's backstory. This is a franchise that usually avoids the death of human or humanlike beings, except in rare cases like Cole's parents and Master Org in Wild Force. But here, they essentially showed the extermination of an entire planetary population -- well, implied rather than showed, but even if it was offscreen, they're all pretty clearly dead. And since this is totally unlike the Gokaiger version (where the main team are aliens and the sixth Ranger is a human Sentai fanboy), it's not like they just adapted the darkness of the Japanese version -- they chose to introduce such a dark backstory themselves. Which is really unexpected from this creative team.

And if they build on the hints here about Orion's personal vendetta maybe getting in the way of being a team player, it could bring some much-needed conflict to the show. But it was addressed so cursorily here that I don't expect much.

Cameron Jebo is okay -- a bit too cool and casual to be convincing as an alien, but then, who expects anything on Power Rangers to be believable? At least he's a more charismatic and expressive lead than Andrew Gray, but then, so is Gosei, the immobile tiki head.

I'm starting to get tired of this show's conceit that the Rangers have to "unlock" certain pre-existing powers and weapons before they can use them, like in a video game. What's the deal, Gosei? These guys are fighting off alien invaders trying to destroy the world, so why are you hampering them by holding back their most powerful weapons until they meet some arbitrary goal?

Old April 13 2014, 02:49 AM   #1102
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped

I think I proved my geekiness today by buying this. Not complaining though. It's solidly designed and has three basic sound effects and three musical effects, which are accessed by holding the mouthpiece button first. These include the MMPR theme, the Dragonzord's theme and the Zord combination theme.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2014, 04:34 AM   #1103
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

The Fifth Crystal
Another Kelsey-centric episode, and one that, unlike the next episode (the Chad-centric The Chosen Path) tells us different things about her character.

I don't know about anyone else, but I liked Kelsey's grandmother. She reminded me a little bit of Mr. Collins from Time Force, which made the moment when she showed up to help Kelsey pretty awesome.

This episode's plot was an echo of the LR/Time Force team-up Time for Lightspeed, which I thought was neat. It also reminded me of the episodes in S.P.D. where things got stolen, which I found kind of neat even though I can't stand S.P.D.

Finally, the nerd in me demands that I mention Vaughn Armstrong's guest stint as Agent Meyers. I was not aware that PR had a Trek connection before I noticed his name, but it made me squee when I saw it because both PR and Star Trek are awesome.

The Chosen Path

I had thought "MMPR logic" had disappeared from the franchise as things moved away from the episodic and towards the serialized, but this episode, unfortunately, proved that I was mistaken.

This episode was not only a total rehash of the last Chad-centric episode we had (Up to the Challenge), 3/4 of it made very little sense, even by normal PR franchise standards.

Yesterday Again
I've enjoyed this season's previous 'tech episodes'
and the two previous focus eps we'd gotten for Carter, so combining those two story ideas, as well as a nice take on the Groundhog Day trope, made for a pretty awesome episode that also pushed a few boundaries in terms of what is typical for the franchise.

Olympius using the Unilaser against the Rangers was a nice demonstration of his ability to think strategically, and made for, as I mentioned, a nice moment of darkness that isn't typical of the franchise, although I do wish the effects people had used more smoke to keep the Rangers obscured, because it would've enhanced the idea that Olympius had destroyed them. It is what it is, though, and the story point worked regardless, so it's ultimately not that big of a deal.

Her teammates might've given her non-verbal eyerolls, but I thought Dana's joke was kind of funny in a completely cheesy way, and was a nice way to reinforce the Groundhog Day aspects of the episode's story.

I would've liked to have at least seen Vypra and Loki in the background of the Skull Cavern scenes, but that's just a personal preference and is really neither here nor there.
Old April 13 2014, 05:33 AM   #1104
Christopher
Writer

Finally, the nerd in me demands that I mention Vaughn Armstrong's guest stint as Agent Meyers. I was not aware that PR had a Trek connection before I noticed his name, but it made me squee when I saw it because both PR and Star Trek are awesome.
Time Force's Edward Laurence Albert (Mr. Collins) played the leader of the Bajoran mob in DS9: "A Man Alone."

And of course the MMPR Command Center was a hybrid of two recurring Trek locations, the Brandeis-Bardin Institute (seen as Camp Khitomer in The Undiscovered Country and Lore's HQ in TNG: "Descent") and the perennial Vasquez Rocks.

Old April 13 2014, 06:06 AM   #1105
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ I didn't know about either of those Trek/PR connections either, so thanks for that.
Old April 13 2014, 09:26 AM   #1106
Pilot Ace
Captain

Unicron wrote: View Post
I think I proved my geekiness today by buying this. Not complaining though. It's solidly designed and has three basic sound effects and three musical effects, which are accessed by holding the mouthpiece button first. These include the MMPR theme, the Dragonzord's theme and the Zord combination theme.
Nice buy. I'm not a big Power Rangers/Sentai guy by any means, but I'd love to own one of those... Price tag looks painful though!
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2014, 01:50 PM   #1107
Stephen!
Captain

Olympius using the Unilaser against the Rangers was a nice demonstration of his ability to think strategically
And it conveniently arrives with a blaster grip already attached to it
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2014, 06:03 PM   #1108
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Pilot Ace wrote: View Post

Nice buy. I'm not a big Power Rangers/Sentai guy by any means, but I'd love to own one of those... Price tag looks painful though!
Yeah, I'm normally very careful about how much I spend in a given month, but certain circumstances have made my wallet hate me this month. There's a new Dragonzord figure coming out soon, and I can't decide if I really want to spend the huge dough on the Legacy Megazord so that the two can combine. I'll have to see.

(and maybe play the lottery in the meantime... )

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Old April 14 2014, 10:10 PM   #1109
Mooch
Fleet Captain

Unicron wrote: View Post
That's weird, I remember having one of those like 15 years ago, it looks exactly the same as I remember.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 10:52 PM   #1110
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

I was watching some compilations recently of all the Zord combinations. I don't think I kept up with the series after about Zeo, in part because the original cast was disappearing. Perhaps it's just me, but does anyone else feel the older Megazord SFX are better in some ways than the modern ones? That's not to say the newer ones are bad, inherently. But it's my experience that the CGI elements tend to look more cartoony and don't transition quite as well to the suited actor. Some of it is simply aesthetics, as I'm sure we all have our favorite Zords.

Knight Exemplar