Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 18 2014, 05:24 AM   #1006
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Power Rangers

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
First mecha battle

2:15 sounds obscene.

Wonder if the bad guys will ever figure out to get off the tracks when the big zord is coming.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 12:45 PM   #1007
Stephen!
Captain

Jeff Pruitt has posted unseen footage. Or at least, some of it is unseen, from the early MMPR S2 episodes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91BoKNRb2uY
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 07:13 AM   #1008
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

ToQGer episode 1 subbed!

Old February 19 2014, 07:45 PM   #1009
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Trains are part of everyday life in Japan, so I can see them milking tons of tropes for content in this year. It was good, silly fun, like most Sentai shows, so I don't see this as a problem. What the challenge will be is how PR will adapt it, assuming they don't milk Kyoryuger for 3+ years. Can't fault anyone, kids love dinosaurs. And with any luck, they'll still like trains like we did.

The color changing was a neat idea, but how useful will it be when anyone - including EVERY OTHER SENTAI TEAM EVER - could just hand their weapons to their team mates when they had to. I'm sure there's some PLOT PLOT PLOT explanation for it (related to imagination, natch), but it's pretty limiting IMO.

Still, it's good to see them in action, and it seems a logical progression of keeping it kid-friendly and mining something boys like (trains). Also, I'm happy to see them stay away from cellphone morphers for another year. That was really getting tiring. On to Episode 2, and another clue as to why the hand puppet thing is suggesting they're all undead!

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 02:45 AM   #1010
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I like the evil train at least. I understand the whys of it all but it's too bad they couldn't air the real thing here. I enjoyed Dairanger back in the day (via VHS tape trading, long time ago) and I didn't even have subs (you can follow it pretty well without it, even the Star Wars parallels). Jetman was a lot of fun though I only saw a handful of those.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 05:05 PM   #1011
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

The previously unused dairanger suits are finally included

They sat on the dairanger suits for 21 years and the best explanation is "Powers not seen on earth"

Wow.

For the next 20 episodes I don't expect any detailed explanation of ANYTHING.

They didn't really explain

-the legend powers
-the new zords
-a weak attempt at explaining for Dairanger footage
-glossed over the change from green to black.

Sure Power Ranger's has been lazy in the past but never this lazy.
Old February 22 2014, 05:23 PM   #1012
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21iPZqVn_oY

They sat on the dairanger suits for 21 years and the best explanation is "Powers not seen on earth"
And this is a problem because?

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 05:39 PM   #1013
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It was nice that they were included but not so poorly
Old February 22 2014, 05:42 PM   #1014
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ Why is "these powers aren't from Earth" such a poor explanation?

It would've been considered perfectly feasible for this franchise not even 10 years ago.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 06:58 PM   #1015
cylkoth
Commodore

Wow.

Well, that line wasn't that lame since the team's first morph was to SPD mode. Future rangers that they hadn't seen on Earth before.

Granted, as this is an anniversary season, it would've been cool if it has been portrayed as if Legendary mode were actually something...legendary for the current team.
Old February 22 2014, 07:01 PM   #1016
Christopher
Writer

I don't expect detailed explanations. In fact, I like the precedent that Legendary Mode can access previously unseen Ranger powers, because it means maybe we'll get to see some of the pre-Zyuranger costumes after all.

I actually didn't find the Dairanger costumes as attractive as I thought they'd be. The helmets look good in stills, but the white vests don't really do it for me.

What surprises me is that, aside from Samurai last week, none of the costumes we've seen so far are from a previous Saban-produced season. We've had every Disney season except Dino Thunder represented by at least one Ranger, and we've had the Dairanger suits that Saban didn't use, but nothing from the first decade of the American series (except in Troy's Legend War premonitions). That's surprising.

But apparently it's rooted in the original footage they've adapted, from episodes 1, 2, and 5 of Gokaiger. All the "Gokai Changes" in those episodes were either from recent seasons or very, very early seasons. Apparently the first Gokai Change ever was to Gorenger, the very first Sentai ever, which makes sense. I'm a little surprised, though, that Saban just cut that out rather than replacing it with a newly filmed MMPR scene. I guess they really are that cheap.

Although apparently two weeks from now we'll get a Wild Force focus episode.

The climax of this one was pretty striking. We hardly ever see the Rangers take direct action against the enemy forces; they just react against each monster attack and then stand down. Having them go "The hell with it" and just straight up launch the Megazord into a full-on strike against the enemy armada -- in episode 2 of all things -- was kind of amazing. Although it would've been nice to have a scene clarifying that the main villains survived and retreated for the nonce.

And I loved the scene with the Rangers flying over the Earth in the Skyship. That was lovely. I wish they'd ended there instead of with the anticlimax of the mall reopening. The whole city's been trashed and all they care about is a damn mall? Priorities, people!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 09:01 PM   #1017
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I was expecting the Mega War in the last two episodes of last season and when that didn't happen, I expected it to take place as the first two episodes of this season as part of the transition but that didn't happen either. Now I see that it'll happen at the end of this season.

As for the first two episodes, I like the idea of a ranger team having access to all the previous ranger modes but it's little more than a gimmick and costume change. I much preferred the original Japanese version where all the rangers gave up their powers in the Legendary War to stop the invasion only to have a group of misfit kids take up the Power Rangers mantle (with a pirate theme) and have to learn to use their newfound abilities for good. We got none of that here. Just more fighting and little plot. Hopefully the gimmick will at least be semi entertaining.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 05:12 PM   #1018
Stephen!
Captain

This seems kinda perverted

Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 05:51 AM   #1019
JD
Admiral

OMG, that is just wrong.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 04:20 PM   #1020
UUS Contrarian
Lieutenant

Considering that only the train is black and red....
UUS Contrarian is offline   Reply With Quote