Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 9 2014, 03:46 AM   #991
Christopher
Writer

Re: Power Rangers

^Let me clarify: I do understand why the decision is being made now. That's not hard to figure out. What I'm trying to reason out here is why the decision was never made before in the previous 20-odd years of the franchise. What factor exists now that didn't exist at any other time since 1993? Because I can't believe no prior Super Sentai season has ever done unusually poorly or unusually well over the course of two-plus decades. The clearest difference, as I said, is that Power Rangers was never more than one season behind SS until the past few years, so they never had the opportunity to skip a season before. It's like they say in crime shows -- you need both motive and opportunity.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 03:51 AM   #992
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ It seems that Saban was able to renegotiate their contract with Toei, which previously didn't allow them to skip seasons, possibly with some help/pressure from Bandai.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 04:16 AM   #993
Christopher
Writer

^Okay, that would explain it, then. Although, as I said, I'm not sure skipping seasons would've been possible when they were only one year behind.

Hmm, unless they'd wanted to go back and use footage from an earlier Sentai season. No reason that couldn't have worked. Theoretically they had fifteen to choose from, though they probably would've wanted to stick to more recent ones like Turboranger, Fiveman, or Jetman.

Hey, does anyone else remember that MMPR was not the first attempt at an American Sentai adaptation? In 1987, the USA network aired six episodes of Dynaman with comedy dialogue dubbed over the footage. I actually caught a bit of that at the time, but when Power Rangers later came along, it was years before I discovered they were based on the same franchise. (Then of course there's Voltron, which is based on Toei's animated sort-of-spinoffs of the Sentai franchise.)

Old February 9 2014, 05:19 AM   #994
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Let me clarify: I do understand why the decision is being made now. That's not hard to figure out. What I'm trying to reason out here is why the decision was never made before in the previous 20-odd years of the franchise.
They never were two shows behind the original sentai versions during the Saban and Disney era. And none of the sentai shows since the Nick era did as badly as Gobusters though Goseiger came very close.

Hmm, unless they'd wanted to go back and use footage from an earlier Sentai season. No reason that couldn't have worked. Theoretically they had fifteen to choose from, though they probably would've wanted to stick to more recent ones like Turboranger, Fiveman, or Jetman.
They cannot. There was no effort to preserve the monster, robots and hero costumes during that era. It was I believe just put in a pile and salvaged for other costumes or left to time.

Last edited by Hound of UIster; February 9 2014 at 05:30 AM.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 05:25 AM   #995
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Hey, does anyone else remember that MMPR was not the first attempt at an American Sentai adaptation? In 1987, the USA network aired six episodes of Dynaman with comedy dialogue dubbed over the footage. I actually caught a bit of that at the time, but when Power Rangers later came along, it was years before I discovered they were based on the same franchise.
I loved Dynaman, coincidentally I was watching some today on Youtube. Did they show those outside of Night Flight? That's one of the shows I miss most these days (Night Flight) though Youtube now provides much of the same kind of material just not so conventiently packaged.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 08:23 AM   #996
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

"Super Megaforce" (the episode) is now available for early viewing on Nick.Com, in case anyone's interested.

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/powe...l-episode.html

Old February 10 2014, 04:29 PM   #997
Stephen!
Captain

Do they explain the transition from black to green?
(Obvious I can't watch the video since it's region locked)
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 06:58 PM   #998
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ It's not explained per se, but Jake does bring it up.

Old February 10 2014, 08:55 PM   #999
Christopher
Writer

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
^ It's not explained per se, but Jake does bring it up.
Gosei: "Jake, there's a simple explanation for that..." (Villains attack)

Well, I only got as far as their transformation into "Super Mega" mode before my laptop decided it didn't want to render the picture clearly anymore, so I guess I'll have to wait to see the rest. It's a nice idea, showing a full-on alien invasion with the Rangers on the run, but they can't really show it, for budgetary and censorship reasons, so it's a little cursory. And it's rather undramatic that they just get the new power handed to them -- but I guess it has been set up all along, what with the figures along the walls. I liked the way they did it in the old days where one source of Ranger power was destroyed and they had to go to some effort to acquire a new one.

Old February 10 2014, 09:41 PM   #1000
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Well from promotional images the gun is still there. Maybe they'll point it into the sky.

They'll probably get rid of ALL the samba parts. Except for Carnival

Last edited by Samurai8472; February 10 2014 at 11:30 PM.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 01:23 AM   #1001
Christopher
Writer

Okay, I saw the rest of the episode. While I'm not a fan of pirate fiction, I like the new costume design quite a bit. Although the whole "swapping weapons in the middle of a fight" dynamic seems problematical. I know I shouldn't expect anything resembling plausible combat tactics in Power Rangers, but this seems unusually awkward. I can see contexts where it would make sense; in a recent discussion on another board, I've learned how even in modern combat, it's often deemed preferable to use bladed weapons for close-range fighting where guns create too much risk of friendly fire or can be too easily deflected/grabbed. So it would make sense for one Ranger to switch to sabers only for close-quarters combat while another used guns only for ranged combat, although I don't think there was any such difference shown here. But the need to switch in the middle of a fight, leaving both Rangers vulnerable while they're doing it, just seems like a bad idea. Particularly in light of how many previous Ranger teams had guns that could transform into swords, or vice-versa.

As for the "Legendary Mode," switching to past Ranger costumes, it's so brief that it seems like little more than a gimmick. I mean, I wasn't expecting it to be anything but a gimmick, but I would've liked them to create more of an illusion that it served a purpose. The first couple of powers -- Samurai symbol power and Mystic Force wand power or whatever that was -- seemed useful, but it's unclear what the SPD or all-Red modes accomplished that Super Mega couldn't. I think the problem is that they're compressing the story so much that it's all kind of cursory.

A skyship is a neat idea, but again, the Zord sequence was too rushed to get a good sense of the individual Zords. I like the ship-wheel controls, though. Well, they can't really accomplish more than turning left and right, but they look neat.

So far the villains seem like an improvement over the last batch, with more personality. Again, though, there wasn't enough detail to get a good sense.

Old February 14 2014, 04:42 PM   #1002
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I just finished up Megaforce. It was awful! The season had no story and no character development whatsoever. The five would morph, then fight for the rest of the episode while delivering the same empty one-liners again and again. No substance. None. What happened? The show was better under Disney.

I'm still looking forward to Super Megaforce and the pirate theme though. Looks like we'll at least get a little something with the past rangers returning and the aftermath.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 03:16 PM   #1003
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I dunno. While I think I'll always have a soft spot for Power Rangers, I really haven't been that engaged with the property since Dino Thunder.
Old February 18 2014, 04:40 AM   #1004
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

ToQger premiered on Saturday. Here are some clips

Opening

First mecha battle

Don't let the childish nature of the show fool you. Behind the veil the dark part is

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 05:02 AM   #1005
Christopher
Writer

So, um, basically... trains.

I know they like their seasonal themes on Super Sentai, but wow, way to ram the theme into the ground. Yes, trains, we get it already. Although some of it was cute, like the "please stay behind the line" for the villains. The CGI didn't look very good, though.