RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Posts: 5,359,864
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 470
Newest member: DasGeneral


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 20 2013, 06:20 AM   #826
Chris3123
Vice Admiral
 
Chris3123's Avatar
 
Location: Pensacola, FL
Re: Power Rangers

I know this is double posting, but I'm going to post a bunch of videos so I wanted this to be separate.

Rangercrew posted a bunch of Comic-Con related video to their channel. Here's some of it:

The Bandai booth had a lot of stuff on display for the anniversary. As well as featuring toys from every season, up to and including Super Megaforce:


A brief video of Jason David Frank at the Bandai booth:


Steven Skylar at the Power Morphicon booth:


An up-close look at the upcoming Power Rangers 20th Anniversary Monopoly game:


And here's a video from IGN, in which they interviewed Jason David Frank there at Comic-Con:
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 07:30 AM   #827
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Power Rangers

I thought this would be interesting to some of you...this is apparently the original proposal for Power Rangers Samurai.

http://amitbhaumik.tumblr.com/post/5...murai-proposal
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 11:08 AM   #828
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I thought this would be interesting to some of you...this is apparently the original proposal for Power Rangers Samurai.

http://amitbhaumik.tumblr.com/post/5...murai-proposal
Wow, that's so much better than what we got. I like the more international cast, the acknowledgment that the Samurai Rangers should be of at least part-Japanese descent (and the Red Ranger actually Japanese-American), the fact that the Red Ranger was uncomfortable with the samurai traditions, Dayu having a human form, Keiji (the Deker equivalent) having a more personal reason to battle the Red Ranger than just "I must find the greatest warrior," etc. Bulk being a secret descendant of a samurai clan is a stretch, and having his son look just like Skull is weird (unless there's something his wife didn't tell him), but the characters certainly would've been better integrated into the series this way.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 01:16 AM   #829
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: Power Rangers

Agreed, I'd have actually wanted to watch that version.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 06:39 AM   #830
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: Power Rangers

Christopher wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I thought this would be interesting to some of you...this is apparently the original proposal for Power Rangers Samurai.

http://amitbhaumik.tumblr.com/post/5...murai-proposal
Wow, that's so much better than what we got.
I disagree (and not just because I'm okay with what we were given)

Amit's ideas read like bad fanfiction; they also don't fit what the PR franchise IS.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 07:05 AM   #831
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Power Rangers

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I thought this would be interesting to some of you...this is apparently the original proposal for Power Rangers Samurai.

http://amitbhaumik.tumblr.com/post/5...murai-proposal
That sounds incredible.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 07:54 AM   #832
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Power Rangers

I've only seen a handful of Samurai and liked most of what I saw...but this seems fascinating indeed.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 09:55 AM   #833
Takeru
Fleet Captain
 
Takeru's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I disagree (and not just because I'm okay with what we were given)

Amit's ideas read like bad fanfiction; they also don't fit what the PR franchise IS.
I agree, it seemed to be good when I first read it but it's really not. The Keiji character is pretty bad, why does he become a villain, because some chick tells him it's his destiny? And in the end he's like "Whoops, sorry for trying to murder you, I'm nice again!"? That's just awful.
The reason for replacing the red ranger is dumb, he has risked his life for months and fought for good after being trained for it his entire life ... but he's descended from the enemy and that's more important than his personality, actions and dedication to our cause, he's fired!

While I like that he tried to have an international cast he forgot to have someone from Japan! No, the red ranger doesn't count, he's american, if ancestry mattered you wouldn't need a ranger from Nigeria for example, he could just be african american.
So after the villains were deafeated 200 years ago the families spread out over the world (very unlikely if you know a little bit about Japan in that period) but no one stayed in Japan or even Asia? Two go to europe, one to Africa and THREE to Mexico? How does that make sense? Even if you argue that the PR version of California was already part of the US in the early 19th century, that's still awfully close geographically. Half of the families move to the same corner of the world why exactly?

I don't understand why these kids have to be the first Samurai Rangers, why couldn't their ancestors have ranger powers? Even in this proposed version they use magic, so what's the big deal, the powers could have worked in the 19th century just as well (we even have a precedent for that, remember Wild West Rangers?).

Why did the Bulkmeyers forget their duty? The real world answer is because Bulk as he had been portrayed was clearly not part of a family that trained him to be a monster fighting Samurai but what's the in story reason? Especially because two other families lived nearby, one just one city away, they didn't stay in contact?
Why do the parents have to tell the other rangers about their destiny right before the battle starts? Look at Iris for example, she apparently learned Kanji and to use their magic or the teleportation wouldn't have worked like in Bulk's case but her parents never mentioned the reason and she never asked why rocks appear if she draws the kanji for rocks? She doesn't even know they have japanese ancestry ... how is that possible, she never questioned why she's learning japanese magic?

Then there are completely unnecessary changes like the villains' castle, why not just keep the boat?

The proposal isn't even that different from what we got, it's basically Shinkenger with a new hat and scarf. Everyone can take an existing sentai and say "My show is almost exactly like that, except for this and that", fans do it all the time. Except in this case most changes aren't very good or logical.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 02:35 PM   #834
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Takeru wrote: View Post
I agree, it seemed to be good when I first read it but it's really not. The Keiji character is pretty bad, why does he become a villain, because some chick tells him it's his destiny? And in the end he's like "Whoops, sorry for trying to murder you, I'm nice again!"? That's just awful.
That's hardly fair. This was an abbreviated summary of the outline. We don't know all the details of what the characters' motivations would've been, because there wasn't room to go into that much depth in a blog post.


The reason for replacing the red ranger is dumb, he has risked his life for months and fought for good after being trained for it his entire life ... but he's descended from the enemy and that's more important than his personality, actions and dedication to our cause, he's fired!
How is that any worse than the aired version of Samurai, or Shinkenger itself? The core idea of both of those is that these people are Rangers because it's their family heritage, and even more, that the other Rangers are sworn to be subservient to the Red Ranger because that's the family tradition -- which to Western eyes is perhaps the most obnoxious thing about the concept, this idea that it's legitimate to have a hereditary hierarchy of rulers and servants. Bhaumik's outline incorporated that same idea from Shinkenger, that the characters' life paths were shaped by their family traditions, but it questioned and challenged the idea. The Red Ranger and Keiji were both told they had to submit to their family destiny, but in the end both of them rejected that idea in favor of individual choice. So it's questioning and challenging a philosophy that the aired version of Samurai pretty much embraced uncritically.


So after the villains were deafeated 200 years ago the families spread out over the world (very unlikely if you know a little bit about Japan in that period)
No more unlikely than the aired version. That didn't even bother to establish Japanese ancestry for any of the characters. It just asked us to accept the idea of multiracial, American samurai families without making any attempt to address how such a thing could exist. At least this version tried to justify it.

but no one stayed in Japan or even Asia? Two go to europe, one to Africa and THREE to Mexico? How does that make sense? Even if you argue that the PR version of California was already part of the US in the early 19th century, that's still awfully close geographically. Half of the families move to the same corner of the world why exactly?
Again, the aired version is worse, since they were all already living in the same city.

It's a given that a lot about any Power Rangers series is going to be silly and implausible. I mean, it's Power Rangers. But it's a matter of proportion. The aired version of Samurai was even stupider and more inept than this sounds like it would've been.


I don't understand why these kids have to be the first Samurai Rangers, why couldn't their ancestors have ranger powers? Even in this proposed version they use magic, so what's the big deal, the powers could have worked in the 19th century just as well (we even have a precedent for that, remember Wild West Rangers?).
Yes, and there are also precedents for the Ranger powers being an improvement on an earlier power. For instance, in Jungle Fury, the animal spirit power the Rangers drew on was ancient, but R.J. used tech from Andrew Hartford (of the previous year's Operation Overdrive) to tap into the Universal Morphing Grid and thereby allow the spirit power to manifest in Power Ranger form.

It's not that there's anything wrong with the idea of earlier generations having been Rangers; it's just that there are multiple ways the idea can be taken, and there's no reason it has to be done the same way every year. On the contrary, having a variety of approaches is good when the franchise has run for this long.


The proposal isn't even that different from what we got, it's basically Shinkenger with a new hat and scarf. Everyone can take an existing sentai and say "My show is almost exactly like that, except for this and that", fans do it all the time. Except in this case most changes aren't very good or logical.
Some of the suggestions seem arbitrary, but of course this was a first-draft proposal, so the details would've been revised and tweaked if it had gone into production. A lot might have changed even if they had gone with Bhaumik's proposal. But there are a number of ideas here that, if they'd gone forward, would've been considerable improvements on the slavishly imitative, ineptly executed version of Samurai we got.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 12:48 AM   #835
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

JDF posted this today.

The green ranger meets the seventh doctor. You can't make this stuff up.

__________________
"Inception" is a layer cake.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 01:01 AM   #836
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Interesting that Tommy is still known as "the Green Ranger" even though he's subsequently been the White Ranger, two flavors of Red Ranger, and the Black Ranger.

Wouldn't it have been more appropriate if a Time Force Ranger had met the Doctor?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 02:01 AM   #837
Chris3123
Vice Admiral
 
Chris3123's Avatar
 
Location: Pensacola, FL
Re: Power Rangers

It was 20 years last Wednesday that the very first episode of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, "Day of the Dumpster", aired on FOX. Happy 20th PR!

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
JDF posted this today.

The green ranger meets the seventh doctor. You can't make this stuff up.

Awesome.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 02:07 AM   #838
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Power Rangers

Christopher wrote: View Post
Interesting that Tommy is still known as "the Green Ranger" even though he's subsequently been the White Ranger, two flavors of Red Ranger, and the Black Ranger.

-First full time 6th ranger in the history of Sentai AND Power Rangers

-Awesome zord

-Shock the good guy's core with disabling communication with their mentor and storming the inside of the megazord

-Rivalry with the red ranger

Plus it's the most iconic ranger besides MMPR Red and it's making a return



__________________
"Inception" is a layer cake.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 02:12 AM   #839
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Power Rangers

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I thought this would be interesting to some of you...this is apparently the original proposal for Power Rangers Samurai.

http://amitbhaumik.tumblr.com/post/5...murai-proposal
Not even the best laid plans can stand up to Jonathan Tzachor.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 01:37 PM   #840
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: Power Rangers

At one point, Amit was kissing Tzachor's rear-end and parroting his ludicrous opinions abut every single Power Rangers season - including MMPR Seasons 2 and 3 - being their own distinct universes, so I highly doubt this proposal was rejected for the reasons he's claiming.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
power rangers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.