Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 26 2012, 06:55 PM   #556
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Re: Power Rangers

And the enemy mecha are called Megazords.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2012, 10:12 PM   #557
SeerSGB
Admiral

Just going on the clips in this thread, I'm not feeling any interest in Go-Busters. It's not bad, it's just not grabbing my interest.
Old February 27 2012, 06:37 PM   #558
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Watched the first episode. I do like the feel, but following Gokaiger will be a toughie as expected.

Anyone notice the mecha transformations were very... Bay-esque? I'm not surprised they used so much CGI, but I'm not sure it's sustainable for the long run. The mecha are also noticably smaller than Sentai average, unless they magically grow larger as they often do. Gotta love the lack of continuit sometimes.

Finally, I'm guessing someone will be keeping track of how many pairs of sunglasses they'll be throwing away.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 05:27 AM   #559
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I've never seen Jungle Fury in its entirety, and therefore decided to do a full watch-through of the season. I'm currently on Episode 11 (Pushed to the Edge), and the season is quickly becoming one of my favorites; it feels very much like a 'spiritual successor' to MMPR S3, PRWF, PRNS, and PRMF (especially MMPR S3 and PRNS), and is by far the best of the four seasons which were produced by Bruce Kalish (and the only one, to this point, which is by and large free of any major issues of any kind).

I'm not yet sure if it'll crack my Top 5 Favorite Seasons list, but I'm definitely prepared to call it a 'very underrated' iteration of the franchise.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 05:34 AM   #560
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

It had better source material to work with imo.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 10:11 AM   #561
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I've made it halfway through JF, and I have to say that Bruce Kalish and Co. managed to accomplish the very thing that Saban is attempting to do with Samurai through the reuse of the classic KNOT theme song and the inclusion of Bulk, but without the 'nostalgia factor' being forceful upon us. PRNS is more closely analogous to MMPR than JF (with every single character in NS having an equivalent MMPR character.), but JF and MMPR are incredibly similar in other ways.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 11:33 PM   #562
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
It had better source material to work with imo.
Totally agree. The music was great and it had some awesome moments. All the episode arcs were fantastic

There was some wacky humor but I think it was there to balance out the serious moments.

I tried to like Jungle Fury but it just watered down all important parts of Gekiranger. I only watched a few episodes clips.

Episode 22 fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNq8IeJsMcg
Old March 13 2012, 03:35 AM   #563
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Shout Factory's will manufacture season dvds

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/16646

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

Power Rangers Zeo
Power Rangers Turbo
Power Rangers in Space
Power Rangers Lost Galaxy
Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue
Power Rangers Time Force
Power Rangers Wild Force
Power Rangers Ninja Storm
Power Rangers Dino Thunder
Power Rangers S.P.D.
Power Rangers Mystic Force
Power Rangers Operation Overdrive
Power Rangers Jungle Fury
Power Rangers RPM
Old March 13 2012, 12:36 PM   #564
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Finally! I don't plan on getting any PR DVDs myself, but this is excellent news nonetheless.
Chris3123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 08:45 PM   #565
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Shout Factory's will manufacture season dvds

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/16646

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

Power Rangers Zeo
Power Rangers Turbo
Power Rangers in Space
Power Rangers Lost Galaxy
Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue
Power Rangers Time Force
Power Rangers Wild Force
Power Rangers Ninja Storm
Power Rangers Dino Thunder
Power Rangers S.P.D.
Power Rangers Mystic Force
Power Rangers Operation Overdrive
Power Rangers Jungle Fury
Power Rangers RPM

that's fantastic news but you can watch all that including samurai, vr troopers, big bad beetleborgs and ninja turtles: the next mutation. all for streaming on NETFLIX the only things they don't have for streaming are the 2 movies.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 01:39 AM   #566
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Legend War scenes HAVE been filmed for the eventual Power Ranger's version of "Gokaiger"

http://henshinjustice.com/2012/03/14...legendary-war/

HH: 2012 is also the 20th anniversary of Power Rangers, isn’t it.

Suzuki: At first we got an offer from America to do something like “199 Heroes,” but of course Power Rangers started with Zyuranger, so the characters before that don’t exist. “So just get rid of those parts.” (laughs) We can’t do that either, so the discussion became “Let’s just film new footage with the 20 years’ worth that we do need.”
So Power Ranger's version will get this

Minus about 15 groups.
Old March 15 2012, 02:58 AM   #567
Christopher
Writer

Oh, you don't mean that's a picture of the PR version, you mean it will be that picture minus about 15 of the depicted groups. I got confused there for a bit because I didn't see that last sentence.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 09:37 PM   #568
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

this morning's power rangers was pretty good I love the new bull zword and the shogun battle armor on the red reanger is awesome. I would've taken that for the battleizer armor.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 12:10 AM   #569
Christopher
Writer

The approach Power Rangers (Super) Samurai has taken to adapting the Sentai original -- retelling the story almost verbatim with its Japanese cultural context virtually unchanged while recasting the roles as Westerners -- is often bizarre and off-putting, but never more so than in this week's "The Bullzord." It was so weird hearing this very Caucasian father and son talking about how they were the descendants of a master Shogun and the creators of the "symbol power" based on Japanese writing. It wouldn't have been so bizarre if they'd just cast Asian actors in those parts (as I think they should've done with the Red Ranger at least)... although it would still leave the mystery of how the Bullzord could be in a mountain in (presumably) America after having been imprisoned by the Shogun 300 years ago (since Japan wasn't opened to the West until the 19th century).

And I know this franchise isn't strong on continuity, but I'm sure previous seasons have established Zords who were around much more than 300 years ago. Weren't the original Dinozords 10,000 years old or something? (Assuming they dated from the period of Zordon's original battle with Rita.) And of course one would assume that Zordon was the creator of the first Zord, just going from the name.

And why the heck was there a cave inside a Zord?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 05:37 AM   #570
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
The approach Power Rangers (Super) Samurai has taken to adapting the Sentai original -- retelling the story almost verbatim with its Japanese cultural context virtually unchanged while recasting the roles as Westerners -- is often bizarre and off-putting, but never more so than in this week's "The Bullzord." It was so weird hearing this very Caucasian father and son talking about how they were the descendants of a master Shogun and the creators of the "symbol power" based on Japanese writing. It wouldn't have been so bizarre if they'd just cast Asian actors in those parts (as I think they should've done with the Red Ranger at least)... although it would still leave the mystery of how the Bullzord could be in a mountain in (presumably) America after having been imprisoned by the Shogun 300 years ago (since Japan wasn't opened to the West until the 19th century).

And I know this franchise isn't strong on continuity, but I'm sure previous seasons have established Zords who were around much more than 300 years ago. Weren't the original Dinozords 10,000 years old or something? (Assuming they dated from the period of Zordon's original battle with Rita.) And of course one would assume that Zordon was the creator of the first Zord, just going from the name.

And why the heck was there a cave inside a Zord?

I loved rangerboard's short description of it

Centuries ago in Japan, a very white group of Samurai entrusted a very white family with an auto-transforming mecha with lots of artillery. The history of the PRU is very weird, and very white.