Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 19 2012, 01:10 AM   #541
Christopher
Writer

Re: Power Rangers

Well, the Power Rangers Super Samurai season debuted today. Aside from changes in the title sequence and a couple of hairstyles, the main changes are that the monsters are allegedly getting stronger, the toxic Sanzu river water is seeping into the mortal world, and Jayden has gained a so-called "Super Samurai" powerup, which was alleged to give him new powers beyond imagination, but really just amounts to adding a long-tailed, sleeveless white coat thingy over his costume (I know there must be a name for that type of garment, but I don't know it) and adding some new flashy animation when he shoots the monster with a fireball from his sword. They really rubbed it in when he crowed about how much power he'd gained while in the process of fighting Moogers with no greater ease than he ever did before. He also gets a new "Megamode" costume which looks like something Elvis would've worn in his later years. The only moderately significant upgrade that isn't just a matter of appearance is a new Megazord mode combining all six Rangers' Zords, plus an "artillery" piece assembled from their supplemental Zords.

So basically Super Samurai mode seems to be the equivalent of a Battlizer mode, but with a more modest costume change and little actual impact beyond the cosmetic.

One thing I did really like, though, was the final swell of music at the end of the episode, as the Rangers smiled at each other and joined hands. It was the loveliest, most powerful statement of the original Power Rangers theme melody that I think I've ever heard.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2012, 02:14 AM   #542
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger ended today

They pretty much owned the Emperor by spamming Gokai Changes.

They even used past Super modes for the first time.

In the end the Gokaiger's return all the ranger powers to their rightful owners.

Some quick cameos from the ranger power's owners

It feels like just yesterday everyone was talking about the fanwank opening of Gokaiger episode 1.

The best part is that the series is 51 episodes. Plenty to rewatch again(If Go-busters stinks)

I think some of the weak points in Gokaiger were the villains. They were seriously underused.

I'll more post pictures when it gets subbed.

Go-busters Episode One Promo reds

and passing of the torch moment between reds

Last edited by Samurai8472; February 19 2012 at 04:17 AM.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2012, 03:05 AM   #543
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, the Power Rangers Super Samurai season debuted today. Aside from changes in the title sequence and a couple of hairstyles, the main changes are that the monsters are allegedly getting stronger, the toxic Sanzu river water is seeping into the mortal world, and Jayden has gained a so-called "Super Samurai" powerup, which was alleged to give him new powers beyond imagination, but really just amounts to adding a long-tailed, sleeveless white coat thingy over his costume (I know there must be a name for that type of garment, but I don't know it) and adding some new flashy animation when he shoots the monster with a fireball from his sword. They really rubbed it in when he crowed about how much power he'd gained while in the process of fighting Moogers with no greater ease than he ever did before. He also gets a new "Megamode" costume which looks like something Elvis would've worn in his later years. The only moderately significant upgrade that isn't just a matter of appearance is a new Megazord mode combining all six Rangers' Zords, plus an "artillery" piece assembled from their supplemental Zords.

So basically Super Samurai mode seems to be the equivalent of a Battlizer mode, but with a more modest costume change and little actual impact beyond the cosmetic.

One thing I did really like, though, was the final swell of music at the end of the episode, as the Rangers smiled at each other and joined hands. It was the loveliest, most powerful statement of the original Power Rangers theme melody that I think I've ever heard.

totally agree fantastic episode today. I loved those fire breathing monsters fantastic. also liked the fact that Bulk and his nephewy are trying to find out who are the samuari rangers verly classic feeling to the originial series.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2012, 07:18 PM   #544
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Passing of the torch moment between GokaiRed and Redbuster

GokaiRed throws a punch and Redbuster easily catches it.
Old February 21 2012, 06:35 AM   #545
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Gokaiger's finale battle. Spamming 35 GokaiChanges

Last edited by Samurai8472; February 21 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old February 21 2012, 06:39 PM   #546
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

So much henshin, it turned the screen white?

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 07:28 PM   #547
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
GokaiRed throws a punch and Redbuster easily catches it.
Is it really a punch? I thought it was just a sign of camaraderie in Japan -- I think Joe and Marvelous did the same gesture a couple times on the show out of respect for each other.

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
So much henshin, it turned the screen white?

Mark
I believe he was trying to link the the Gokaiger's final battle.
Old February 26 2012, 06:52 AM   #548
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

as I rewatch MMPR S2 the wedding trilogy is it me or did rita and zed have a jewish wedding?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2012, 07:38 AM   #549
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Go-busters Opening

Some episode 1 remarks.

-Has a very different atmosphere. It's blending Power Ranger terms with Kamen Rider filming techniques

-At the moment no stock footage. They all transform in real time

-Still weird to hear "It's morphin time" over in Japan. The brace actually says it but the transformation code is "Let's Morphin"

Old February 26 2012, 02:13 PM   #550
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Nice. That can't be the actual opening though, can it? It's missing a lot of the usual tropes of a sentai OP, things exploding, giant robots, no sound effects, etc. They must be saving the henshin / gattai stuff for when it happens in-episode first.

Transformation is different, I'll get used to it and I'm sure stock footage will be showing up soon. Definitely not missing the perpetual use of cellphones through most of the last decade though!

Mark

Old February 26 2012, 02:55 PM   #551
Christopher
Writer

Meanwhile, over on this side of the Pacific, this week's Super Samurai episode (or the Shinkenger episode it was based on) was fairly good, with the team having to reason out a strategy using their symbol power to defeat the monster (though at the same time it was silly that they kept limiting their attacks to its impenetrable shell rather than trying for its softer underbelly or limbs when it was unrolled).

And they managed to find a decent way to incorporate Bulk & Spike into the story for once. I've realized how awkward it is to have them so completely detached from the Rangers, neither group knowing each other except from a distance. At least in the old days, Bulk & Skull were classmates of the Rangers so there was some direct interaction (though that diminished in later seasons with the junior police/detective/Professor Phenomenus stuff). It might be cool if Bulk & Spike found out the Rangers' identities and, say, got taken on as assistants at the dojo, so there'd be some level of interaction (and you could have Master Ji do the whole long-suffering superior thing like Lt. Stone back in the day). Though it'd be tough to explain why such bumblers wouldn't be fired within hours (come to think of it, how does Bulk pay his bills anyway?).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2012, 03:17 PM   #552
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Christopher, yesterday's episode was actually mostly original in terms of its content, with the writers and producers splicing together several episodes of Shinkenger, including one that actually aired before Antonio's Sentai counterpart joined the team (hence the reason for him losing his morpher and being oblivious to what was happening around him).

It wasn't quite as good as last week's ep, IMO, but wasn't by any means a bad episode either, and the writers really succeeded, for the first time, in capturing the MMPR-esque tone and feel they've been wanting to imbue the season with from its start without things feeling forced.
Old February 26 2012, 06:27 PM   #553
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It's Morphin Time!

Old February 26 2012, 06:29 PM   #554
Stephen!
Captain

timothy wrote: View Post
as I rewatch MMPR S2 the wedding trilogy is it me or did rita and zed have a jewish wedding?
Haim Saban is said to be Jewish, so it's quite possible.
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2012, 06:52 PM   #555
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Had to chuckle - all I heard in the above video was "LET'S MORPHINE !!!". No wonder everyone loves being a Sentai...

Mark