Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 29 2011, 11:44 PM   #436
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: Power Rangers

did every one catch them in the macy's parade?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 02:25 AM   #437
Christopher
Writer

That was definitely Eka Darville's voice, and the name given in the credits (Tobias Reiss) has no entries on IMDb other than these two episodes, further evidence that it's a pseudonym.

This was a pretty lame one overall. The story was awkwardly structured to justify keeping Scott and Antonio in costume throughout and to avoid showing the rest of the RPM team. Although it's just as well we didn't see the rest of the RPM Rangers dragged down to this. The real Scott Truman was a much richer character. (Besides, the RPM Rangers defeated the robots and began to rebuild their world, so these are definitely an alternate version.) The whole subway thing was arbitrary. The lengthy fakeout sequence with Jayden and Scott pretending to be enemies in order to get close to the villains made no sense -- it's not like they wouldn't have gotten just as close otherwise. And if getting close was their goal, why wage that whole fake battle to the death (while fighting off a biracial myrmidon army at the same time, no less) once they were already there? Completely pointless except as an excuse for a gratuitous Red Ranger showdown.

That Shark Sword thing was ridiculous and cartoony (plus if they have such a supreme advantage, why not use it from the start?), and I really could've done without that sequence where the Rangers used it to essentially castrate the giant general. Eww. Come on, guys, phallic tentacles belong in hentai, not Sentai!

And I agree, it definitely looks like this episode was aired too early in the sequence, since there have been some missed developments -- the new power-ups and gear (what was that lantern thingy Antonio was holding in one battle and never used?), the haircuts, the hints of a Mike-Emily attraction (I like Emily's braids, by the way), the absence of Dayu and the addition of a new male monster in Xandred's court. (Or did Dayu already walk out? I forget.) Not to mention the lack of Bulk and Spike, though that might've been just for this one (since the credits seemed to be specially made for the "movie," as they billed the hourlong edit of the two-parter).

My favorite bit was when the Grinders changed into motorcycles for the Moogers to ride, but one stayed unchanged and just bent over and let a Mooger climb on his back and run around. And then the payoff where they came up behind Scott, realized they were up a creek, and then turned around and tried to sneak off. I also liked the "rage against the machine" line, one of the few times this show has managed to make me laugh with a fight quip.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2011, 02:46 AM   #438
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

"Clash of the Red Rangers" also tried to combine two different movies

Shinkenger's standalone movie(
The mecha battle was from that movie)

Shinkenger VS Go-Onger

Christopher wrote: View Post
(what was that lantern thingy Antonio was holding in one battle and never used?),

Another new piece of equipment that Power Ranger's Samurai failed to mention

In Shinkenger the lantern was called Daigoyu

http://supersentai.com/database/2009...g-daigoyou.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCgm2JaZsE

The Gold Ranger brought it to life.

Daigoyu was also the only one to see the Gokaiger's cameo in

Goseiger VS Shinkenger team up movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UteDD...ailpage#t=111s
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2011, 03:41 PM   #439
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Tokumei Sentai Gobuster revealed. A few months ago the title was revealed by a licensing site

Story:

The Super Sentai of 2012 has been revealed! Tokumei Sentai Gobusters. Waging a secret fight against a Super Computer that has gained self awareness, Team Gobusters is formed!

The team is composed of the Gobusters and their Partner Buddy Roids. RedBuster, BlueBuster, YellowBuster, Chida Nikku, Gorisaki Banana, and Usada Letas.

dukemon22 wrote: View Post

Buster Machine CB-01 DX GobusterAce:
Releases- February
Price- 5,040 yen (temp price)
GobusterAce is the most powerful form of Red's mecha. The set includes Red's Buster Machine (a Sports Car) and Red's Buddy Roid, Chida Niku. Chida Niku, as a Buddy Roid, can transform into a cockpit for BusterRed to pilot. Chida Niku and Red's Buster Machine can combine into the "Buster Vehicle CB-01 Cheetah". Cheetah can then undergo a transformation into animal form, making it into a Buster Animal, "Buster Animal CB-01 Cheetah." That form then transforms into the robot, GobusterAce. Combines with Gorilla and Rabbit to form GobusterOh.

Buster Machine GT-02 Gorilla:
Releases- February
Price- 3,990 yen (temp price)
Blue's mecha. Set includes Blue's Buster Machine (a truck) and Gorisaki Banana, Blue's Buddy Roid. Gorisaki Banana, as a Buddy Roid, can transform into a cockpit for BlueBuster to pilot. Gorisaki and Blue's Buster Machine can combine into the "Buster Vehicle GT-02 Gorilla", which can then undergo a transformation into a Buster Animal, "Buster Animal GT-02 Gorilla." Combines with GobusterAce and Rabbit to form GobusterOh.

BusterMachine RH-03 Rabbit:
Releases- March
Price- 3,465 yen (temp price)
Yellow's mecha. Set includes Yellow's Buster Machine (a helicopter) and Usada Letas, Yellow's Buddy Roid. Usada Letas, as a Buddy Roid, can transform into a cockpit for YellowBuster to pilot. Usada and Yellow's Buster Machine can combine into the "Buster Vehicle RH-03 Rabbit", which can then undergo a transformation into a Buster Animal, "Buster Animal RH-03 Rabbit." Combines with Gobuster Ace and Gorilla to form GobusterOh.

Buster Gear Series 01 MorphinBrace:
Releases- February
Price- 3,675 yen (temp price)
The Gobusters' transformation device. Has a Henshin Mode (transforms the rangers), Call Mode (summons Buddy Roids), Let's Driving Mode (summons Buster Machines), Analyze Mode, Robo Mode (activates GobusterAce), Game Mode (play a game using the dial on the MorphinBrace), Special Mode (secret mode activated via the brace's dial). Looking at the pictures, the henshin call seems to be "It's Morphing Time", with the catchphrase for the show being "It's time for Buster".

DX GobusterOh

Buster Gear Series 02 IchiganBuster:
Releases- February
Price- 3,990 yen (temp price)

Camera that changes into a gun. Based on an "ichigan" (single lens reflex camera). In Camera Mode, the toy can simulate zoom and shutter movement. Can combine with the SouganBlade to form the "Ichigan Buster Final Buster Mode"(name not fully legible, but I think this is it). Lights and sound.

Buster Gear Series 03 SouganBlade:
Releases- February
Price- 3,465 yen (temp price)

Binoculars that change into a sword. Name taken from "Sougan" (Binoculars). In Sougan Mode, seems to have a working scope. Looks to contain sounds of the Buddy Roids. Can combine with the IchiganBuster to form the "Ichigan Buster Final Buster Mode"(name not fully legible, but I think this is it). Lights and sound.

Ranger keys for Gobusters

GT-02 Gorilla and RH-03 Rabbit Set:
Releases- March
Price- 7,455 yen (temp price)
Set of GT-02 and RH-03

Buster Gear Series DX Gobusters Narikiri Set:
Releases- March
Price- 7,455 yen (temp price)

Set of Gear Sets 2 and 3

Buster Gear Series 04 Transpod:
Releases- March
Price- 3,360 yen (temp price)
Voice Changer/Walkie Talkie that doubles as a projectile weapon

Partners are called "Buddy Roids" The buddy roids become cockpits that plug into the BusterMachines (making them BusterVehicles)The Buster Vehicles transform into Buster Animals, then the animals combine into GobusterOh. (Cheetah transforms into GobusterAce on his own.)

-Blue's Gorilla turns into a Truck

-Yellow's Rabbit turns into a Helicopter

The catchphrase seems to be "It's Time for Buster!"
And yes the transformation call is "It's Morphing Time" and the brace is called the Morphin Brace.

Last edited by Samurai8472; December 1 2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old December 2 2011, 02:13 AM   #440
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

(Besides, the RPM Rangers defeated the robots and began to rebuild their world, so these are definitely an alternate version.)
No, Scott isn't "definitely" an alternate version at all. You're just assuming that the Scott we saw must be from a point in time after the end of RPM. He could easily be from a point in between episodes. A similar example is SPD's Wormhole, where they time-travelled to a point in time in the middle of Dino Thunder's run.
Chris3123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 04:40 AM   #441
Christopher
Writer

Hmm... the name Gobuster had me expecting a Ghostbusters knockoff, but the villain sounds like RPM's Venjix program instead.

And the mecha are very complicated, with multiple layers of combination and transformation. Sentai mecha usually tend to be either animal-based or vehicle-based, and Go-onger tried to do things that were both at once, but this one seems to be doing both separately and simultaneously.

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
(Besides, the RPM Rangers defeated the robots and began to rebuild their world, so these are definitely an alternate version.)
No, Scott isn't "definitely" an alternate version at all. You're just assuming that the Scott we saw must be from a point in time after the end of RPM. He could easily be from a point in between episodes. A similar example is SPD's Wormhole, where they time-travelled to a point in time in the middle of Dino Thunder's run.
I don't see that as either feasible or desirable. There was no mention of Venjix here, nor of this "Professor Cog" character in RPM's continuity. And there was certainly no casual use of an interdimensional subway train in RPM. Also, other posters have pointed out the contradiction about the breathability of the air; in RPM we saw plenty of characters surviving without helmets outside the dome.

Old December 2 2011, 04:51 AM   #442
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Hmm... the name Gobuster had me expecting a Ghostbusters knockoff, but the villain sounds like RPM's Venjix program instead.
There are clear influences from Americanized Sentai including the "morphin" and the sun glass transformation devices so likely there could be influences from the Americanized RPM. Toei still does have several of the guys who were long term employees of the American show doing stuff so there is definitely an avenue for the cross pollination.

But perhaps they have gotten wiser and decided simply that the current appeal of aiming exclusively to a very young demographic is destroying their profit margins compared to the much more successful Rider franchise.
Old December 2 2011, 05:09 AM   #443
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Yeah there's definitely some Power Ranger vibes. At least with the equipment.

Next year will see alot of themes thrown out

Spies

Animals

Vehicles

I'm surprised there's no gimmick this year

No Cards, No Engine souls, no ranger keys.

The first three mecha will be sold separately so I guess they can forgo a gimmick. It will give the toy companies the required revenue

This years gimmick of Ranger key's for Gokaiger will even go to 2012.
Old December 2 2011, 05:50 PM   #444
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

I don't see that as either feasible or desirable. There was no mention of Venjix here,
Yes, there was. Professor Cog mentioned his "master". Just not by name. The lack of a namedrop doesn't mean anything.

nor of this "Professor Cog" character in RPM's continuity.
So? The vast majority of PR monsters are only ever seen or mentioned within a single 30-minute block of airtime.

And there was certainly no casual use of an interdimensional subway train in RPM.
We don't know what the deal is with the train. We don't know who created it, or when, or how long it may have been usable, whether it's completely safe, etc. So any assuming that it means anything that we never saw it before is just that, an assumption. And at any rate, there was no instance in the show that I can recall that required dimension-jumping anyway.

Also, other posters have pointed out the contradiction about the breathability of the air; in RPM we saw plenty of characters surviving without helmets outside the dome.
Yes, that explanation was BS given what we know. But it was obvious that they had to come up with some excuse to explain why we could never see Scott's face. It could have easily been a result of lack of research on the writer's part. I see no reason why it has to be more than simple writer's error.

At any rate, what would be the point of them making this Scott's reality appear alternate to that which we saw in RPM?
Old December 2 2011, 05:56 PM   #445
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

I may have asked this in the past not sure but here goes.

I was wondering were I could either get episodes or full seasons of any of the original super sentai not just the american version of power rangers? all so what happened to karamen riders on abc did they drop it?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 06:10 PM   #446
Christopher
Writer

At any rate, what would be the point of them making this Scott's reality appear alternate to that which we saw in RPM?
You're overanalyzing it. Power Rangers is not a sophisticated, well-thought-out work of speculative fiction where there's value in parsing the specifics of parallel timelines. Its continuity has always been tenuous at best, and it's not something that really stands up to any detailed level of analysis. So why waste the energy? Bottom line, Samurai is a silly show made by mediocre creators who had nothing to do with RPM and have no loyalty to its exceptional approach to the PR franchise. Even if they were pretending it was part of the RPM continuity, that doesn't mean they made something that actually deserved to be treated as part of the RPM continuity. So I prefer to treat it as something separate.

Old December 2 2011, 06:54 PM   #447
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Also, other posters have pointed out the contradiction about the breathability of the air; in RPM we saw plenty of characters surviving without helmets outside the dome.
Yes, that explanation was BS given what we know. But it was obvious that they had to come up with some excuse to explain why we could never see Scott's face. It could have easily been a result of lack of research on the writer's part. I see no reason why it has to be more than simple writer's error.

I have a feeling we'll be coming back to this type of situation when Gokaiger get's adapted.

If the Power Ranger series follow Gokaiger then we'll see past ranger actors come back.

If it's not possible to get an actor back they'll have to make some BS excuse.
Old December 2 2011, 07:56 PM   #448
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Isn't most of Gokaiger about the team CHANGING into past Rangers? I know that there are all sorts of cameos of past actors, but I don't see a Ranger series having to be a slave to that. Especially since there will be tons of series where there is NO adaptation!

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 08:13 PM   #449
Christopher
Writer

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Isn't most of Gokaiger about the team CHANGING into past Rangers? I know that there are all sorts of cameos of past actors, but I don't see a Ranger series having to be a slave to that. Especially since there will be tons of series where there is NO adaptation!
Yeah, good point. It might be done as drawing on the powers of past Ranger teams rather than actually bringing back the actors/characters. As for the 16 sets of Ranger costumes that were never used in a Power Rangers adaptation (I'm counting Dairanger, since they only used the White Ranger costume from that on MMPR), maybe those would be justified as some kind of new variant costumes, or attributed to Ranger teams from other planets, times, or dimensions. Although it's possible they might be mostly edited out.

Old December 3 2011, 08:08 PM   #450
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

You're overanalyzing it. Power Rangers is not a sophisticated, well-thought-out work of speculative fiction where there's value in parsing the specifics of parallel timelines. Its continuity has always been tenuous at best, and it's not something that really stands up to any detailed level of analysis. So why waste the energy? Bottom line, Samurai is a silly show made by mediocre creators who had nothing to do with RPM and have no loyalty to its exceptional approach to the PR franchise. Even if they were pretending it was part of the RPM continuity, that doesn't mean they made something that actually deserved to be treated as part of the RPM continuity. So I prefer to treat it as something separate.
Fair enough. God knows there are a few episodes that I consider so abysmal and/or nonsensical that I would like to erase them from existence, myself. (JF's "Blow That Dough" )

Moving on, don't forget the next episode, "Christmas Together, Friends Forever", will air on the 10th.

Last edited by Chris3123; December 4 2011 at 04:18 AM.