Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 12 2011, 03:39 AM   #271
Christopher
Writer

Re: Power Rangers

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
It's a shame that Power Ranger's samurai is so bad. The acting is even worse than the original crew in 1993.
The original MMPR cast was one of the better ones in the Power Rangers franchise. Amy Jo Johnson was and is a superb actress (she's done some awesome stuff on Flashpoint and got a Gemini Award nomination for it in '09). Walter Jones is very good too, and most of the rest were at least workmanlike. The only really poor actor in the original cast was David Yost.

Now, the cast of Power Rangers in Space -- that was a pretty talent-poor bunch. But the Samurai cast is definitely a new low.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 03:41 AM   #272
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Lightspeed rescue cast- Only Joel(Keith Robinson) seemed natural the rest of the team were WOODEN
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 04:09 AM   #273
Christopher
Writer

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Lightspeed rescue cast- Only Joel(Keith Robinson) seemed natural the rest of the team were WOODEN
I rather liked Sean Cw Johnson as the Red Ranger there. And Monica Louwerens and Ron Rogge were pretty good. The others were mediocre, but no worse than typical for this franchise.

Old March 12 2011, 05:46 AM   #274
JRoss
Captain

Guess who sold a Power Rangers-style RPG setting to a publisher last week?
JRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2011, 04:37 AM   #275
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I just got through watching this week's ep, and have to tell Christopher and anyone else who's given up on PRS at this point to give the show one last chance, because this week's ep was freaking brilliant, and didn't suffer at all from any of the issues that have plagued the previous episodes. Here's my 'bullet-point' review, which is cross-posted from two other boards:
* It took us 6 eps, but we finally got to see one of Xandred's 'inner circle' in action, and man was it worth the wait; if Dayu continues to have opportunities to face off with the Rangers, she may just earn her way into my list of top 5 favorite villains in PR history

* I love how Dekker (not sure on the spelling, but this one sounds/looks better than 'Deker' or 'Decker') looks like a cross between Lord Zedd and Zen-Aku; I also like how his personality seems, at this stage, to be a cross between Zen-Aku and Koraag, and really want to know more about him

* I loved the call-backs, subtle though they might've been, to the hints of romance that we got in episodes 2 and 4 between Mia and Kevin and Mike and Emily

* I really want to know who contacted Ji at the start of the ep and told him that the Moogers hadn't taken the bait with regards to the Rangers' fake wedding

* Speaking of, of all the plans that Rangers have concocted over the years to deal with threats to the general populace from monsters and whatnot, the fake wedding thing has to be one of the most brilliant EVER

* It was cool to see the Rangers bust out both of their new Megazord formations in the course of a single battle, especially against the giant Moogers (who really have something over their normal-sized counterparts when it comes to the strength department); it's a nice return to a trend/aspect of PR thats pretty much fallen by the wayside (I believe the last season where this truly happened might've been Time Force)

* Bulk and Spike's scenes in this ep were great, and Spike is genuinely starting to make me chuckle

* I really liked the call-back to the Rangers using their Symbol Powers in non-combat situations, and also liked that, unlike the previous instances when they used the symbol powers outside of combat, this particular use (the creation of doubles) demonstrated some pretty quick thinking and some fairly decent strategy on their part
Old March 14 2011, 12:53 PM   #276
RoJoHen
Awesome

Some small children were watching this show on Nickelodeon in the playroom at my gym yesterday.

That is all.
Old March 14 2011, 03:13 PM   #277
Christopher
Writer

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I just got through watching this week's ep, and have to tell Christopher and anyone else who's given up on PRS at this point to give the show one last chance, because this week's ep was freaking brilliant, and didn't suffer at all from any of the issues that have plagued the previous episodes.
What was the name of the episode, and will it be rebroadcast on Nickelodeon at any point? (I don't get Nicktoons.)

Old March 14 2011, 05:59 PM   #278
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

"There Go The Brides"

Episode 6
Old March 14 2011, 06:42 PM   #279
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Christopher, I don't know if it'll be broadcast again, but have an alternative solution, the details of which I'll PM you.
Old March 14 2011, 07:30 PM   #280
Christopher
Writer

No, thank you. I'm not interested in "alternative" ways of obtaining videos that have to be spoken of in hushed private messages.

Old March 14 2011, 09:57 PM   #281
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I'm not sure of the board's policy concerning online downloads/torrents or streaming, and didn't want to possibly break any rules (hence the PMing).
Old March 14 2011, 10:04 PM   #282
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

chris I love amy jo johnson also like the time force pink ranger very hot . big power ranger fan any news of when the new series is soppsed to start . and do you think they will ever release this series in proper dvd or blu ray collections . I am sure there is a demand for it . The only power ranger series that realy sucked in my opinion were power rangers in space and the last series which I can'nt remmber the name .

also dino thunder was a great run .
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 05:43 AM   #283
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Here's a chart showing all the airings of Power Rangers Samurai for the month -- Nick's definitely pushing the show hard so you should get plenty of chances to see this episode.
http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/prstuff/prgrid.html

Fortunately I have a much looser code of ethics than Christopher, so I pirated it in glorious HD and watched it today. You're right about this episode being a huge improvement, but I still wouldn't call it good. Most of the problems from the previous five episodes (poor acting, unending puns, terrible dialogue, copy & paste job from Shinkenger, etc.) were still there, but due to a fantastic Shinkenger script they were minimized. Bulk and Spike were used well for the first time and, just like in MMPR, they're fast becoming my favourite parts of the show. I actually laughed out loud at Bulk's wedding comment near the end of the episode -- for the first time ever I was laughing with Samurai instead of laughing at it. I was mildly impressed.

I'll definitely be watching the next episode due to some Shinkenger spoilers that I won't mention, so I hope it turns out well.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2011, 05:45 AM   #284
Agent Richard07
Agent Richard07

timothy wrote: View Post
and do you think they will ever release this series in proper dvd or blu ray collections . I am sure there is a demand for it .
I hope they do. I'd like to catch up on the seasons I've missed.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2011, 05:37 PM   #285
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

A collaboration of fans have started up a collection of money to be donated to the Red Cross

At last count, we've collected $5,804

Mr. Yellow wrote: View Post
SUPEEEERRRR HEEEERROOO TIIIME...STARTS NOW!

Originally an effort of RRR, now has become a team effort. It’s Super Hero Time folks and as heroes it’s time to save the world! RRR, CSToys International, HJU, YouTube Toy Reviewers and Renz Media Network Sites are banding together to help promote Super Hero Time!

As we all know, on March 11, 2011 a magnitude-8.9 earthquake hit off the shore of Japan, unleashing a 23-foot (seven-meter) tsunami and leaving enormous destruction in its wake. Hundreds, possibly upon thousands have been killed in this disaster and thousands have been left homeless, as the tsunami swept through, causing mass destruction and setting off widespread fires that burned out of control. However Super Hero Time is banding together to help aid Japan in this terrible time.

All proceeds gained will go towards CSToys International’s National Relief Aid. Mr. Masaki Seike, also known as Mr. S, the Regional Director of CSToys International inside Japan, will be HAND DELIVERING the money to charitable foundations inside the land of the rising sun. While we know that Japan has not directly asked for aide from the Red Cross, they are using their resources from inside the country and that is where these funds will be going. Every penny will be brought personally by Mr. S to the Japanese Red Cross. He will also, in true CSToys fashion, be broadcasting the event live from Japan similar to their Charity 100 events.

Some may ask how can you be part of Super Hero Time? Just spread the word and show the link to your sites and videos! Super Hero Time will keep updates going on it’s main page, so be sure to check that out.

Together we can make a difference and a change. It doesn’t take armor clad, colored spandex geared and skirt wearing heroes to save the world. All it needs is you! So let’s all henshin, call upon our giant robots and help save Japan! Thank you for your contribution to this cause!

MR. S OF CSTOYS INTERNATIONAL WILL BE PERSONALLY HAND DELIVERING THESE FUNDS TO THE JAPANESE RED CROSS AND WILL BROADCAST/VIDEO AS IT IS HAPPENING.
YouTube - Japan Earthquake Remedy for Our Heroes by our heroes around
DONATIONS WILL BE TAKEN UNTIL APRIL 9TH

HOW TO HELP:

[COLOR=DarkRed]DONATE![/COLOR]

Click on the banner to go the ChipIn Website, click on the widget in the top right.

If you having trouble viewing the Super Hero Time donate page, be sure to change the language in the top right hand corner
http://yfrog.com/h2297cp

[COLOR=DarkRed]BUY SHIRTS AND MERCH![/COLOR]

Riders Ranger and Rambles have opened their shirtzor store and will be donating all proceeds from these sales to the Super Hero Time Fund

http://shirtzor.spreadshirt.com/

In addition,
CSToys USA Website will be offering a special soon, with funds headed towards the Super Hero Time Fundraiser!

All proceeds from the sales of CSToys T-Shirt and other apparel will be donated. As well as 10% of the proceeds from the sale of Rider and Sentai items and 20% from the sale of Uglydoll items.

http://www.cstoysusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

[COLOR=DarkRed]SPREAD THE WORD![/COLOR]

Take the donate link and spread the word! Tweet about it on Twitter, post it on Facebook, make a blog, make a video (if you do, be sure to tell us) and tell your friends. Word of mouth is great!

[COLOR=DarkRed]GRAB THE BANNER![/COLOR]

Grab the banner you see, or make your own and let people know about the fund! There may be several different versions released, but as long as you have one, people will know!

[COLOR=DarkRed]CHECK OUT THE SUPER HERO TIME TOKU MARATHON![/COLOR]

The objective is watch as much Toku as you can between now and April 9. Pretty simple, eh?

Check out the thread for that here: http://forums.henshinjustice.com/sho...72#post1293272

Check out our team who've made videos to support us!
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...AC391EFFA32A7F

THANK YOU!

Yeah Kamen Rider and Sentai may not be real and the Gokaiger's won't save people but we are real and we can make a difference.