Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 20 2011, 09:12 PM   #256
SG-17
Commodore

Re: Power Rangers

Compared to the last series that I watched (Dino Thunder), Samurai feels more like a parody. Of course though I do love the references to the original series. The intro is amazing and I smile every time Bulk is on screen. The man looks the same as he did 19 years ago.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2011, 05:10 AM   #257
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Cross-posted:
It's looking ever more likely that 'The Team Unites' was a fluke, tonally, and this season is going to be much more reflective of the tonal standard set by Ninja Storm than the tonal standard set by the original MMPR (NS's tone being a reflection of said tone, but without the multiple issues associated therewith). This episode felt to me like it was a combination of elements from 'Gung Ho!', 'Always a Chance', 'Facing the Past', 'Snip It, Snip It Good', 'The Samurai's Journey', and 'Petrified Xander', but with a vibe that was equally all its own.

Some of the Rangers' dialogue made me chuckle because of how cornily obvious it was, but it didn't detract from the episode in any way, nor did it detract from their characterization.

The Beetle Zord and Beetle Blaster Megazord were pretty awesome, although the horn protrusion sticking out as far as it did from the Megazord's helmet did catch me a bit off guard, at least until I saw its attack in action.

For the first time, Bulk and Spike's scene didn't annoy me, even though I do have to say that it was kind of gross seeing Bulk gorge himself on that cotton candy.

The weakest link in the episode, for me, was the monster, or more specifically, his voice; it was kind of hard for me to take him seriously as a major threat when he came across as someone affecting a very bad parody of a Western gunslinger/outlaw.
Old February 27 2011, 09:03 PM   #258
SG-17
Commodore

Well this episode is the last one that I will watch.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2011, 09:30 PM   #259
Christopher
Writer

^I watched the teaser, and the actress playing Emily was so painfully bad that I didn't even bother to watch the rest.

I did some checking, and it looks like this is mostly a US cast, with Iris Hampton doing the US casting and Terri De'ath doing the NZ casting as I believe she did on the previous NZ seasons. IMDb says that Iris Hampton was the Power Rangers casting director from ...in Space to Wild Force, so we know her casting can be hit-or-miss. The only really standout Ranger cast in that span was the Time Force cast. But this bunch is an all-time low. Maybe Saban needs to hire a new casting director.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2011, 09:54 PM   #260
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Maybe Saban needs to hire a new casting director.
No, he needs to stop being a cheapskate. When they were casting the parts a lot of actors posted about in on facebook or their blogs. When they learned how much he was willing to pay most of them walked out. Switching casting directors won't change that
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2011, 10:44 PM   #261
Christopher
Writer

^Okay, thanks for clarifying.

Old February 28 2011, 05:43 AM   #262
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I made it about five minutes into the episode and I just couldn't take any more. The sad thing is that this episode with the Insult Monster was actually really good in Shinkenger. If it wasn't for Gokaiger being amazing I'd be very disappointed right now.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2011, 02:54 PM   #263
Christopher
Writer

I think it would've been better for Power Rangers to have ended with RPM than to be brought back like this.

Anyone have any ratings information on Samurai? How's it performing?

Old February 28 2011, 03:38 PM   #264
JRoss
Captain

Oh, man, I love the MMPR. Haven't watched it really since the end of the second or third season, when I was like 12.

Fourth-grader Jacob (me) was going to grow up and marry Amy Jo Johnson.

I don't think that any adult can really take the Power Rangers seriously, though. It's like MST3K, but also nostalgic because of fond childhood memories.
JRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2011, 04:59 PM   #265
Christopher
Writer

JRoss wrote: View Post
Fourth-grader Jacob (me) was going to grow up and marry Amy Jo Johnson.
Get in line. A lot of us were already grown up when we fell in love with Amy Jo.

I don't think that any adult can really take the Power Rangers seriously, though. It's like MST3K, but also nostalgic because of fond childhood memories.
Well, of course, it's light-hearted fun and a silly premise. But some of the later seasons -- ...in Space, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, and particularly RPM -- also had dramatic threads that were pretty engaging.

Old February 28 2011, 09:06 PM   #266
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Anyone have any ratings information on Samurai? How's it performing?
I pulled this from a thread on Ranger Board. I'm not sure what the previous seasons pulled in, but 3 million certainly seems impressive.

Week 1: "The Team Unites"
2.875 million (02/07/11)
Re: 3.3% of 6-11 (02/12/11)

Week 2: "Deal With a Nighlock"
3.115 million (02/13/11)
Re: 2.9% of 6-11 (02/19/11)

Week 3: "Day Off"
2.890 million (02/20/11)

Old February 28 2011, 09:37 PM   #267
Christopher
Writer

^Well, from the same BBS, I found a thread listing RPM ratings, and they ranged from 0.1 to 1.1, averaging about 0.55. That's a percentage of the estimated TV-viewing households in the US, sayeth the Wiki, and a rating of 0.55% would translate to around 0.64 million viewers. But MMPR earned as much as 8.2 in its day, according to this thread; that may have been 8-9 million viewers, depending on how many TV-owning households there were at the time.

So it seems to be doing much better than its recent predecessors, perhaps because of the much bigger promotional push than Disney ever gave it. Still, it's early yet. A lot of us tuned in at the beginning hoping for the best, but the ineptitude of it has already driven away several posters in this thread, myself included. We'll have to see how the ratings trend over the weeks ahead.

Old March 1 2011, 03:54 AM   #268
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Episode 3 of Samurai

"Sticks and Stones"

First episode that I can say that wasn't too bad. Did they really have to emulate the piggy back scene and green ranger narration at the end too from Shinkenger?

I know they've been copying Shinkenger 85% of the time but the ending doesn't seem like it needed to be copied.

They take out the Shinkenger cockpit, add in the sword controllers and add the Megaranger suits.

Seems like they're not focusing on what really could be changed.

Gokaiger episode 3

The Gokaiger's visited the Magiranger/Mystic force area over the weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgh_2UV4Hxg

Nice touch with the Magiranger theme in the background

Gokaiger's third ending theme brings us from 2001 to now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QC9YjZb45A

I was in near tears hearing the Magiranger's theme again after 6 years.

Gokaiger seems to know how to do the fan service and still make the show about the Gokaigers.

All Red poster!

Last edited by Samurai8472; March 1 2011 at 05:05 PM.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2011, 02:30 AM   #269
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

There seems to be no interest in Samurai left, but how about Ninja Storm? Linkara has finally finished his Ninja Storm review.

http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com/

Old March 12 2011, 03:14 AM   #270
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It's a shame that Power Ranger's samurai is so bad. The acting is even worse than the original crew in 1993.

Gokaiger so far has been amazing. It's been able to mix nostalgia while still focusing on the Gokaiger crew.

Also this weeks Gokaiger episode 5 will be delayed due to the earthquakes.

The cast are fine.

http://doublew024002.wordpress.com/2...he-earthquake/

Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Ryota Ozawa who plays Captain Marvelous/GokaiRed in the series posted in his blog if everyone is alright and worries about the show’s staff and crew and tells his followers to never let their guard down and be safe.

Ichimichi Mao who plays Luka Milfy/GokaiYellow mentions about the earthquake and that everyone should be safe. Yui Koike who plays Ahim de Famille/GokaiPink, based on how understand the Google translation it seems that her representative is posting the blog entry on her behalf and announces that events related to her are canceled.

As for Kazuki Shimizu who plays Don Dogoier/GokaiGreen and Yuki Yamada who plays Joe Gibken/GokaiBlue, their respective blog entries are dated last March 6th and December 26, 2010 respectively. Let’s just wait for further news regarding their safety.

The famous tokyo tower seen in countless episodes

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote