RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,680
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 396
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 4 2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Toban Kal
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Toban Kal
Security question

I just wondered. Where do Security teams go when they're on duty but they aren't running down a corridor to stop some threat?
They have to be called from somewhere, but I just wonder where. Do they have offices on each deck or just sit in their quarters or what?
"You can pulp a story, but you cannot destroy an idea! Don't you understand, that's ancient knowledge. You cannot destroy an idea! That future, I created it, and it's real! Don't you understand? It is REAL! I created it and IT'S REAL!"
Toban Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Re: Security question

I'd imagine they operate from the Armoury and while on duty if theres not security threat they go where they are needed
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

They probably conduct training exercises and drills, teach unarmed combat and marksmanship to other crew, guard certain key areas at all times, conduct standard patrols of the ship and notify maintenance crews of anything that looks like it needs attention, keep inventry and maintain hand phasers and explosives. They will also be assigned to damage control teams during emergencies.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

They're eating donuts and drinking coffee.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Praxius
Captain

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
They probably conduct training exercises and drills, teach unarmed combat and marksmanship to other crew, guard certain key areas at all times, conduct standard patrols of the ship and notify maintenance crews of anything that looks like it needs attention, keep inventry and maintain hand phasers and explosives. They will also be assigned to damage control teams during emergencies.
Pretty much this is what I believe.... I'd suspect most of the time when they're not patrolling or guarding certain areas, they're either conducting training exercises to keep in top condition or in meetings to go over new security procedures and requirements.

Or they could just be sitting around with a coffee and doughnut while talking about last nights game.
Praxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 08:10 PM   #6
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

The training exercises and drills sound logical to me, too.

I've often wondered what transporter operators do with most of their time. Routine maintenance is necessary, of course, but it must become awfully boring during what could be long spells between beaming people and supplies on and off the ship.
Old August 4 2010, 09:50 PM   #7
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
This, pretty much. Security does not in all circumstances mean law-enforcement and combat.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 09:54 PM   #8
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

macloudt wrote: View Post
The training exercises and drills sound logical to me, too.

I've often wondered what transporter operators do with most of their time. Routine maintenance is necessary, of course, but it must become awfully boring during what could be long spells between beaming people and supplies on and off the ship.
By the time of TMP there are certainly multiple transporters on the ships (including a security transporter, two or three cargo transporters, emergency trasporters, and a transporter in the engineering section). In ordinary circumstances, not more than two transporter operators would need to be on duty (one in each section of the ship) so they would presumably run diagnostic tests in each of the transporter rooms until they're needed. Transporter operators are often engineering chief petty officers or officers like Kyle so they might be quite senior and might have other engineering details while on shift and only be called to a transporter room when needed (like firemen). In an emergency or if a landing party is off world then probably at least two transporters would be manned at all times and all transporters would be manned during a general quarters alert.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Mr Darcy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Given how inept and utterly useless the majority of Starfleet security appears to be, I fear that training exercises and drills are not their main priorities.
Mr Darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2010, 10:11 PM   #10
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Considering the high Redshirt mortality rate in Trek TOS, I assume Security personnel spend a lot of time updating their wills and trusts. And praying to sweet boogalooing Jesus that they don't get assigned to the next landing party.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 12:21 AM   #11
Robert DeSoto
Lieutenant Commander

Toban Kal wrote: View Post
I just wondered. Where do Security teams go when they're on duty but they aren't running down a corridor to stop some threat?
They have to be called from somewhere, but I just wonder where. Do they have offices on each deck or just sit in their quarters or what?
The bigger question is where do the security teams go when the ship is boarded and a hostile force takes control of the bridge. It's like the ship's entire security force just surrenders when the bridge crew isn't telling them to fight back.
Robert DeSoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 12:36 AM   #12
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Robert DeSoto wrote: View Post
Toban Kal wrote: View Post
The bigger question is where do the security teams go when the ship is boarded and a hostile force takes control of the bridge. It's like the ship's entire security force just surrenders when the bridge crew isn't telling them to fight back.
To be fair, it was usually Voyager that got boarded the most and they had a very small crew, with an even smaller Security Detachment, IIRC in a Season 1 Episode, Janeway gets Tuvok to train a detachment

As for the Ent-D, I don't think anyone would dare board that ship when its fully crewed and in nominal operating condition!
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 01:30 AM   #13
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Kirk's Enterprise has been taken over by his first officer, a bunch of 1990s supermen, an android, mail order brides, children, hippies, an angsty teenager, the Kelvans, a computer, a glowy thing, Scalosians and one of Kirk's exgirlfriends. Various officers have also been kidnapped right off the ship.

Helluva job Security Team!!!!!!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 02:16 AM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral

madmatthias wrote: View Post
IIRC in a Season 1 Episode, Janeway gets Tuvok to train a detachment
Not exactly. The episode Learning Curve has Tuvok providing Starfleet training to Maquis crew members who are having difficulty adjusting to life on a Starship.

As for the Ent-D, I don't think anyone would dare board that ship when its fully crewed and in nominal operating condition!
The DS9 episode Bar Association has Odo listing off all the security violations which occured on board the Enterprise D under Worf's watch.

Of particular embarassment, Rascals in which the Enterprise is taken over by Ferengi and re-taken by children. Yeah, those children are grown-ups reverted to childhood, one of which being the captain, but still that doesn't speak volumes about security's skill.
Old August 5 2010, 05:34 AM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

A character I invented once was a TOS era security petty officer. Trained at a service academy as a law enforcement and forensic expert. Part of the time she was "loaned out" to the ship's science labs.

Some of the security guards would be cross-trained as emergency medics, they would be on-call with sickbay.

Security works as damage control teams, so while they are patrolling the ship (which we've seen), they're not just looking around in a security or law enforcement capacity, but also endlessly inspecting the ship for any level of damage or for malfunctions.

One of the definitions for "Yeoman" is bodyguard, Janice Rand might be assigned as the Captain's yeoman out of security partly in that capacity. Kirk was pissed off when Rand was assigned as his yeoman not because he felt he didn't need a administrative assistant (he really did), but because he was offended by the idea of needing a bodyguard.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote