Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 29 2010, 12:12 PM   #1
spetsnaz
Ensign

picard fiction/books

hi guys.

i have been interested in picard for many years. does anyone know any good novels or non-fiction books which specifically focus on picard, his thinking, his attitudes etc etc. i would really like to get inside his head.
spetsnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2010, 12:59 PM   #2
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

Re: picard fiction/books

It's been a while since I read it, but the novel Requiem involves Picard being thrown back in time to Cestus III right before the Gorn attack in Arena. Since he's alone and cut off from the Enterprise, it spends time in his head, though part of it also deals with him trying to decide whether or not to break the timeline and try to prevent the massacre, if I recall correctly.

There's also the TNG entries in the Dominion War subseries that have Picard on a covert mission in Dominion territory. And there's the excellent The Buried Age, which is about Picard's life following the loss of the Stargazer leading up to his taking command of the Enterprise - this one, actually, I can't recommend enough.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2010, 02:28 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I haven't read it yet, but The Buried Age is considered by some to be the definitive Picard novel.

If this gets moved to the TrekLit section (hint, hint mods ) you're bound to get an avalanche of helpful suggestions from the regulars there.
Old July 29 2010, 02:43 PM   #4
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Non-fiction, eh?

I don't know. There's the usual Trek episode guides and so forth, but it sounds to me like you're looking for something a bit different from that.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Check out MAKE IT SO by Wess Roberts and Bill West. Believe it or not, it's a non-fiction book on the leadership secrets of Jean-Luc Picard.
Old July 30 2010, 10:05 AM   #6
captcalhoun
Admiral

^what, drink lots of tea, always tug your shirt down, keep a handy Klinigon around to get beat up instead of you and listen to your therapist? oh, and somehow completely fail to score with your MILF doctor even though she's clearly gagging for it.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2010, 06:43 PM   #7
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Well, he lost two ships and they just gave him a new, more powerful one each time. Must be doing something right
Old August 4 2010, 01:37 PM   #8
spetsnaz
Ensign

thanks for all the replies. i will be sure to check out all your suggestions.
spetsnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 06:07 AM   #9
Valin
Rear Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Well, he lost two ships and they just gave him a new, more powerful one each time. Must be doing something right

There have been a few CEO's with similar records, and they seem to be doing well.

I read the book back in the '90s. It was quite good, and the authors did a good job of getting into Picard's head, at least leadership-principles-wise.
Old August 6 2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

Michael Jan Friedman has an entire series of novels about the young 28-year old Picard when he captained the Stargazer. Christopher Bennett's The Buried Age is excellent and links Stargazer and TNG.

"Dark Mirror" is a mirror universe novel featuring Picard heavily. It's a different mirror universe than the one developed in Crossover: in this, the Terran Empire has never fallen.