Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 3 2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
"Star Trek 365"

I am now the proud owner of "Star Trek 365: The Original Series", a massive house-brick sized book filled with big colour pics and lots of info. Written by Paula Block & Terry Erdmann, from Abrams Publishing (no connection to JJ).

It weighs a tonne!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2010, 01:51 PM   #2
8of5
Fleet Captain

View 8of5's Twitter Profile
Re: "Star Trek 365"

What's it like? What does it cover? What are the highlights? What's new?

*curious*
Old August 3 2010, 04:26 PM   #3
Therin of Andor
Admiral

http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/20...-trek-365.html

I've included a few random inside pics from the 365 double spreads.
Old August 3 2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

8of5 wrote: View Post
What's it like? What does it cover? What are the highlights? What's new?

*curious*
Wow! You have a scoop! It is only available as pre-order on Amazon
Old August 3 2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Teppo
Lieutenant

Looks amazing! I'm pre-ordering!
Old August 3 2010, 11:01 PM   #6
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Teppo wrote: View Post
Looks amazing! I'm pre-ordering!
Drat. I want commission!

Have been chatting to Paula Block overnight. It seems as if UK and Australian orders are arriving in shops before the domestic shipment arrives in the USA!

I just love being in the right place at the right time. For once.
Old August 5 2010, 10:35 AM   #7
8of5
Fleet Captain

View 8of5's Twitter Profile

Hmm looks sort of interesting, but isn't knocking me over. I think this is one I'll have to have a good look through before I decide on whether to get it or not.
Old August 5 2010, 07:06 PM   #8
TrickyDickie
Commodore

I just found out about this yesterday, through idly browsing through the latest issue of Star Trek: The Magazine. That issue includes a short interview with the coauthors. Their intention was to focus on rare images not previously seen. That grabbed my attention in a hurry. As various folks here on the BBS know, Curt M and I have sort of the motherlode collection of rare images. I was not aware of this project. I have been entirely out of the Trek loop for several years. 'Real life' has been quite harsh for me and my wife. To be perfectly honest, as of today, we are living out of our car, as we no longer have a home. Anyhow, it seems to me that if we can get in touch with these people, maybe they would want to make use of our material and produce several more books. This is the kind of project that Curt and I intended several years ago, but various things got in the way of it at that time. Perhaps now, with CBS at the helm, new opportunities are opening up.

One of the specifics that the coauthors mentioned in the interview was that they had hoped to find rare images from the time of filming Operation Annihilate! at TRW, but that they had not been able to locate any. Well, it just so happens that I have a photo of two female Trek fans who worked at TRW standing out in front of one of the TRW buildings in full costume and makeup. One as a yeoman in gold and the other as a Vulcan science officer. These were two fans very deeply into Trek not years later, but while the series was still filming. Their home-made costumes and makeup are so well done that it looks as though they could have just stepped off the set.

If anyone knows how to go about making contact with the coauthors and/or Abrams, please let me know. I would like the opportunity to share what I put together over the years. I think a lot of fans would be glad to see a ton of images that they never saw before that managed to survive. And God knows I could use some good news from some quarter.

Thanks
David B
TrickyDickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 08:58 PM   #9
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

The publisher put out something like this, but say technical manuals or other types of reference books don't sell well? I can see buying this if I was an TOS hardcore fan, but otherwise I will thumb through it at the bookstore or look at it in the library.
Old August 5 2010, 10:34 PM   #10
Therin of Andor
Admiral

TrickyDickie wrote: View Post
Perhaps now, with CBS at the helm, new opportunities are opening up.
This book is from Abrams Publishing, but has no connection to with JJ Abrams. I guess the big difference is that it's not from Pocket Books but is still a semi-licensed(?) product. It doesn't carry the CBS logos, but does thank the CBS Licensing Division, although Paula ran that division for many years so she certainly had an inside track on getting the book through its redtape hurdles.

One of the specifics that the coauthors mentioned in the interview was that they had hoped to find rare images from the time of filming Operation Annihilate! at TRW, but that they had not been able to locate any.
Page 147-148 has a great shot of the landing party dwarfed by the bizarre structures of TRW's "Space Park" at Redondo Beach, CA.

If anyone knows how to go about making contact with the coauthors and/or Abrams, please let me know.
As requesting in your PM, I've forwarded your post to Paula Block, but remember that this book has barely come out yet. It would be unlikely to get a sequel all too soon. I would think we'd see a TOS movies or TNG edition before we saw a TOS Book 2. Or, Abrams Publishing would look to other shows entirely.

Wikipedia: "Abrams Books publishes illustrated books on the subjects of art, architecture, photography, graphic design, interior and garden design, fashion, music, comic arts and graphic novels, and sports. The Abrams imprint is currently under the direction of Vice President and Editor-in-Chief Eric Himmel and Senior Vice President and Publisher Steven Tager. Books published by this imprint includes the bestselling '365' and 'Discoveries' series."

I think a lot of fans would be glad to see a ton of images that they never saw before that managed to survive.
Sure, but these kinds of books - expensive, glossy, full of pics - are expensive suckers and book shops will probably be cautious about stocking too many of them - I can imagine people really damaging these books while riffling them over and over in the shops. Made me very glad to find mine in a shop not too many hours after being unpacked!

Last edited by Therin of Andor; August 6 2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old August 5 2010, 11:36 PM   #11
paulablock
Ensign

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
TrickyDickie wrote: View Post
Perhaps now, with CBS at the helm, new opportunities are opening up.
This book is from Abrams Publishing, but has no connection to with JJ Abrams. I guess the big difference is that it's not from Pocket Books but is still a semi-licensed(?) product. It doesn't carry the CBS logos, but does thank the CBS Licensing Division, although Paula ran that division for many years so she certainly had an inside track on getting the book through its redtape hurdles.

It's completely licensed and was thoroughly vetted through CBS Consumer Products. I no longer work there but they didn't skip the red tape just because I used to oversee publishing. They actually made me look things up and get signoffs and prove stuff! The nerve. Also, check the back cover--the entire book is copyright CBS.

One of the specifics that the coauthors mentioned in the interview was that they had hoped to find rare images from the time of filming Operation Annihilate! at TRW, but that they had not been able to locate any.
Page 147-148 has a great shot of the landing party dwarfed by the bizarre structures of TRW's "Space Park" at Redondo Beach, CA.

If anyone knows how to go about making contact with the coauthors and/or Abrams, please let me know.
As requesting in your PM, I've forwarded your post to Paula Block, but remember that this book has barely come out yet. It would be unlikely to get a sequel all too soon. I would think we'd see a TOS movies or TNG edition before we saw a TOS Book 2. Or, Abrams Publishing would look to other shows entirely.

Sadly, I can't predict what Abrams will want to do in the future. But I strongly suspect that, as Therin guesses, that if this sells well and Abrams wants to do another book, it will be on a different incarnation of Star Trek.

Wikipedia: "Abrams Books publishes illustrated books on the subjects of art, architecture, photography, graphic design, interior and garden design, fashion, music, comic arts and graphic novels, and sports. The Abrams imprint is currently under the direction of Vice President and Editor-in-Chief Eric Himmel and Senior Vice President and Publisher Steven Tager. Books published by this imprint includes the bestselling '365' and 'Discoveries' series."

I think a lot of fans would be glad to see a ton of images that they never saw before that managed to survive.
Sure, but these kinds of books - expensive, glossy, full of pics - are expensive suckers and book shops will probably be cautious about stocking too many of them - I can imagine people really damaging these books while riffling them over and over in the shops. Made me very glad to find mine in a shop not to many hours after being unpacked!
All true.

Bottom line is...no one gets rich doing these books. (Least of all the author! Ask any of the ST authors on this very bbs--they'll tell ya) None of the image contributors were paid for the use their imagery--they just got my undying gratitude and a free copy of the book. it was a labor of love for everyone involved.

But I sincerely hope that life improves very very soon for TrickyDickie!
paulablock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 11:39 PM   #12
paulablock
Ensign

P.S. As you can see, I'm not very technically savvy. I inadvertently put several of my responses right after Therin's. Sorry! Hope you can make out what I was attempting to say in my low-tech dundering way!
Old August 6 2010, 03:19 AM   #13
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

I'm looking forward to this book. Does it have a photo of Lucille Ball visiting any of the sets?

Neil
Old August 6 2010, 05:08 AM   #14
paulablock
Ensign

Indysolo wrote: View Post
I'm looking forward to this book. Does it have a photo of Lucille Ball visiting any of the sets?

Neil
Sadly, no. Couldn't find one. Closest we could get is a photo of Mr. Spock with Carol Burnett!

Lucy is mentioned several times though.
Old August 6 2010, 06:18 AM   #15
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Thanks, Paula. I'm buying the book regardless, but you'd think with it being a Desilu show she may have stopped by just once to visit the set. Seeing her on the bridge would be so cool.

Thanks for answering!

Neil