Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Inception ends with
reality 58 65.17%
dream 27 30.34%
other 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 8 2010, 02:29 AM   #61
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

To be fair, we don't know how the "dream machines" work, how people are "hooked up" or what. Simply because it doesn't matter, the dream machines and their mission aren't the story.

They could've had them sit in the chairs with their heads "wired" to phones made of tin cans and shoe-strings for all I care, how they dream and how the technology works isn't the story.

For the same reasons in Star Trek it doesn't matter how Warp Drive works, what Warp Factor 9 is in terms of multiples of c, etc. as even in Trek the FTL and space exploration isn't the story, the story is The Human Condition and exploring that, the space-travel is just the backdrop.

And who cares how dreams work in the real world, something that is debated at length today by different doctors, scientists and psychologists; the movie lays out how dreams work in it. and gets away with its... loose interpretation of it by the fact that we don't know how dreams work, why they are the way they are and how people precieve them is different for everyone.
Old August 8 2010, 06:34 AM   #62
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

Avalon wrote: View Post
It's reality.

He doesn't need to see the top fall over. He knows it's real. It's why he couldn't stay in limbo with Mal any longer, it's why he could let go of her and his guilt, it's why seeing his kids in limbo would never be enough for him. Dreaming is no substitute...not for Cobb.
I'm not sure how Cobb "knowing" it's reality is any kind of proof that it's reality. Mal was very convinced that it wasn't reality, because she could look at her own children and see they weren't real. Why would you trust Cobb's instincts over Mal's? Just because he's the main character?

He knows he's in reality because he remembers how he got to the house. That's what the whole long trip through the airport and meeting up with Miles is about. He doesn't just find himself at his in-laws' house; he "remembers how he got there".
Yeah, but plenty of stuff in that final sequence could indicate that those scenes were a dream. How the heck did Miles end up in the US before Cobb? Did Miles even mention he was going to meet him there? And wasn't Michael Caine wearing the exact same clothes in the airport that he was wearing in his earlier scenes?

How did Cobb get through customs so easily? He was a fugitive, wanted for killing his wife. Certainly his face would be all over the 24 hour news channels. He breezed right through customs just because a powerful CEO made one phone call? Even if Ken Watanabe worked his influence to get all charges dropped against him, it's very hard to explain why there wasn't a whole media circus waiting for him at the airport.

I get the feeling that a lot of people think the ending was "real" because they really want it to be real. Not because the evidence supports it, but because they think it would make the whole movie "pointless". But I find that a pretty silly line of thought. Was The Wizard of Oz "pointless" just because it was all Dorothy's dream?
Level 2 Diagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2010, 10:42 AM   #63
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Did Miles even mention he was going to meet him there? And wasn't Michael Caine wearing the exact same clothes in the airport that he was wearing in his earlier scenes?
When Cobb meets Caine at the university he gives Caine some presents for the kids for when he (Caine) goes to visit. Considering some time, even as long as a week, passes between the training of the team and setting things up it makes sense that Caine would arrive in America before Cobb.

I'm not sure he's wearing the exact same clothes but we can either chalk this up to them simply being the same style of clothes or simply the movie not wanting to spend money to buy two outfits for a character we see for all of five total minutes betweent he two end of the film.

As for how his name was cleared so fast, powerful movie CEO magic. Nothing more. Plenty of movies use this trick and raise the exact same question.
Old August 8 2010, 03:28 PM   #64
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Don't the kids wear the same clothes as well?
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2010, 04:45 PM   #65
Avalon
Captain

I don't really have enough time to address the rest of L2D's post, but I just wanted to throw this out there:

People wear the same stuff all the time. I have about enough clothing to get through two weeks, but out of that I really only have about a week's worth of clothing I prefer to wear. I'm guessing this isn't unusual because I recognize pieces of clothing that my friends, family and co-workers wear -- in other words, there's a pretty good chance that on Tuesday I'll see Mark wearing that green plaid shirt and Betty will be wearing her denim skirt. David has that brown sweater he favors when it's a little chilly.

When I was a kid, I would have worn this one v-necked top every day if my folks hadn't insisted on washing it periodically.

I'm just saying -- seeing someone in the exact same clothes isn't really a weird dreamlike thing. It happens in the waking world every day.

(As to the kids at the end -- Phillippa is definitely wearing a t-shirt under her dress, which is different from all her other "appearances". And she looks old enough in the face to match her voice on the phone. I didn't get as good a look at James.)
Old August 8 2010, 06:20 PM   #66
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

Whether or not people repeatedly wear the same clothes in real life is not the point of my question at all. The question is, what was the director's intent in including this detail? Do you think the wardrobe people just happened to pull out the same outfit at random, or was this a deliberate detail included to maybe make you think it was a dream?

And if that ending was meant to be taken as "CEO magic" then Nolan is an even worse writer than I thought. This would be like Steve Ballmer placing one phone call and Roman Polanski gets to come back to the US, pass through one of our airports, and go to a relative's house, all without anyone noticing or caring. Does that seem even remotely likely? Polanski isn't even accused of killing anyone like Cobb was.
Level 2 Diagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2010, 10:15 PM   #67
Ryan
Commodore

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Don't the kids wear the same clothes as well?
They're very similar but not the same. His daughter's dress and his son's shoes are different. His son also has a lot more hair than in Cobb's memories.

A number of people have complained the dreams weren't weird enough but I'm sure Nolan made them more real so we would pick up on these little details. If it was all flying dragons and bendy cities the dividing line between dream and reality would have been so clear no one would have even considered the little things like what the kids and Michael Caine were wearing. It puts the audience in Cobb's position on wondering whether everything is real or not.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2010, 10:25 PM   #68
Ryan
Commodore

Level 2 Diagnostic wrote: View Post
And if that ending was meant to be taken as "CEO magic" then Nolan is an even worse writer than I thought. This would be like Steve Ballmer placing one phone call and Roman Polanski gets to come back to the US, pass through one of our airports, and go to a relative's house, all without anyone noticing or caring. Does that seem even remotely likely? Polanski isn't even accused of killing anyone like Cobb was.
I didn't read into it to much. It's a MacGuffin. The details don't really matter to the rest of the movie. While the bureaucratic paperwork moved through remarkably fast I certainly don't have any problem believing a major multi-national energy corporation could buy a gubernatorial pardon.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2010, 10:26 PM   #69
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Just got back from seeing it again and some quick things:

1. The father's clothes are different in the airport (different color of shirt.)

2. The kids are noticably older than in Cobb's visions.

3. The top noticably is starting to wobble.
Old August 8 2010, 10:32 PM   #70
David cgc
Vice Admiral

How did Cobb get through customs so easily? He was a fugitive, wanted for killing his wife. Certainly his face would be all over the 24 hour news channels. He breezed right through customs just because a powerful CEO made one phone call? Even if Ken Watanabe worked his influence to get all charges dropped against him, it's very hard to explain why there wasn't a whole media circus waiting for him at the airport.
How would anyone know he was coming? He used an assumed name to get on the plane. Probably used one to get off, too. And why would people recognize him? A lot of guys kill their wives, and it's just this side of dumb luck which ones are on the local news for a couple of nights and which ones get national coverage for months on end. And it was a year and a half or two years ago.
Old August 8 2010, 10:47 PM   #71
Marten
Captain

It think it was as real as it gets in that movie.

But one thing bugged me. He walked away. He did not care if it was real or not. That is highly inconsistent with his behaviour in the rest of the film. He couldn't stand living in the fake world with Mal, why would he stand living in a world that might very well be fake with his kids?
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2010, 10:48 PM   #72
RoJoHen
Awesome

His kids turned around, and he could see their faces. I think that alone proved to him that it was real.
Old August 8 2010, 11:45 PM   #73
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
His kids turned around, and he could see their faces. I think that alone proved to him that it was real.
This.

And Marion Cotillard is damn sexy and smoky.
Old August 9 2010, 12:03 AM   #74
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Did Miles even mention he was going to meet him there? And wasn't Michael Caine wearing the exact same clothes in the airport that he was wearing in his earlier scenes?
When Cobb meets Caine at the university he gives Caine some presents for the kids for when he (Caine) goes to visit. Considering some time, even as long as a week, passes between the training of the team and setting things up it makes sense that Caine would arrive in America before Cobb.

I'm not sure he's wearing the exact same clothes but we can either chalk this up to them simply being the same style of clothes or simply the movie not wanting to spend money to buy two outfits for a character we see for all of five total minutes betweent he two end of the film.
Lots of great fictional characters wear the same clothes all the time. Like... Launchpad McQuack...

But Polanski was famous before he was a fugitive. Presumably Cobb was not.
Old August 9 2010, 06:42 PM   #75
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
But then, I think a lot of Nolan's movies can't be interpreted literally (except for Batman Begins. And I suppose The Prestige can be interpreted literally as well as structurally).
That's right, a "lot" of Nolan's movies can't be interpreted literally, with the exception of Memento, Insomnia, Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, and Inception.