Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 18 2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Llama
Captain

Bat Family Ages?

I just finished reading the Battle for the Cowl trade (yes I know I'm a bit behind) and I was wondering about the ages of all the characters. I did a quick wiki search but no luck.

From what I understand, Tim is now 17, so that should make Dick 27-30?, Barbra a couple of years older than Dick, Bruce would have to be at least 40-45, Alfred in his late 70s/early 80s, and Gordon in his mid to late 50s.

Would this be about right? Are there any official sources? If not, what's your best guess?
Old August 18 2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Bat Family Ages?

Tim's age is confusing; as late as the end of Robin he was right around sixteen, but as of Red Robin he's probably closer to eighteen.

Stephanie is a year older than Tim. Which pulls Tim's age up, if Stephanie's now a college freshman.

Damian is ten.

Dick has to be thirty to thirty-two. (This is based on Damian's age, Bruce's first encounter with Ra's when Dick was in college, and the likely time of Damian's conception.)

Bruce is fifty to fifty-five, again working backward from Damian's age.

That's working the numbers.

Officially, Bruce is going to be somewhere around thirty-five because Clark Kent is somewhere around thirty-five, and Superman and Batman made their debuts at the same time. If Bruce is early-fifties, then so too are Clark and Lois. DC should bite bullet and decouple the debuts of Superman and Batman but they won't.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 04:01 PM   #3
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I think Superman is around 33 and so is Bruce Wayne. The numbers don't add up, you can't make them add up and you'll get a headache trying.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 04:13 PM   #4
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

This is how it works:

If they were created before 1980, DC heroes age until they're 35, and never any more than that.

The only exception is sidekicks or former sidekicks, who age until they're 25, and rarely any more than that.

In the case of multiple sidekicks (mostly the Robins), there will come a time when they will all appear to be 25, which will create a very embarrassing situation. When that happens, either DC will kill them (that's the Marvel way, the New Mutants/ Generation X/ New X-Men/ Young X-Men/ Generation Hope solution) or they will reboot the universe (in a new "Crisis").

Characters created after 1980 never get the chance to age because they're mostly used as cannon fodder in big crossovers.
Old August 18 2010, 06:49 PM   #5
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
This is how it works:

If they were created before 1980, DC heroes age until they're 35, and never any more than that.

The only exception is sidekicks or former sidekicks, who age until they're 25, and rarely any more than that.

In the case of multiple sidekicks (mostly the Robins), there will come a time when they will all appear to be 25, which will create a very embarrassing situation. When that happens, either DC will kill them (that's the Marvel way, the New Mutants/ Generation X/ New X-Men/ Young X-Men/ Generation Hope solution) or they will reboot the universe (in a new "Crisis").

Characters created after 1980 never get the chance to age because they're mostly used as cannon fodder in big crossovers.
This is how I see it. I've been reading Batman pretty regularly since around the late 80's and if you were to say each "real year" was one year in Bruce's life, he should be about fifty something at this point, but you'd never know it from his portrayal. I think I decided some time around 2000 to stop thinking about ages since they'll never make much sense in most comic book universe.
Old August 18 2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Mike Farley
Commodore

DC has this odd habit of introducing young sidekicks then immediately setting about aging them to (young) adulthood. Then realizing that they screwed up and introducing a new young sidekick...and immediately start aging them.

Any day now Dick Grayson is going to be older than Bruce.

And the passage of time is never consistent. In the past 30 years Franklin Richards has aged about 2 years. In the same period of time Kitty Pryde has aged about 7 years.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Mr Light
Admiral

The way they're drawn now... Bruce and Dick look like they're the same age...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Mike Farley
Commodore

Funny how Dick instantly gained about 30 pounds of muscle when he took over as Batman.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 08:48 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

What's interesting to me is how nicely the DC Animated Universe avoids this problem. I've found that it holds up very well if you assume each series (except the ones set in the future, of course) takes place in roughly the years it aired. My conjectural DCAU chronology has Bruce Wayne born in 1962, becoming Batman in 1984 at age 22. Dick Grayson is born in 1974 or '75 ("Robin's Reckoning" is ambiguous about whether he's 9 or 10 in his flashbacks, which are early in Batman's career). B:TAS begins around 9 years later, in 1993 (at least the Robin episodes thereof, since FOX insisted Robin be 18), so Bruce is 31 and up. He's around 37 by the time of TNBA, 39 by the start of Justice League, 43 by the end of JLU. It's a reach to assume he could still be physically capable at 43 after two decades of extremely strenuous activity; realistically he'd have burned out in his early 30s. But he's supposed to be the ultimate physical specimen and all, and some pro athletes (like Jimmy Connors) have managed to keep competing professionally into their early 40s. So I think it's within acceptable limits.

I also have Kal-El born in 1968 and sent to Earth a year later; Lois Lane born in 1970 (same year Bruce is orphaned); and Tim Drake born in 1985. I don't have a birth year listed for Barbara Gordon, but I assume she's a year behind Dick in college, so that would probably give her a 1975-6 birthdate.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 09:07 PM   #10
captcalhoun
Admiral

who cares? there'll be anotehr Crisis in a couple years and they'll all get retconned, rebooted, deaged and generally screwed about with...

which is why i've never been keen to get into DC comics lately, i'll stick to Ultimate Marvel where we at least know that the events have taken place over roughly four or five years. (ish.)
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 09:31 PM   #11
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
who cares? there'll be anotehr Crisis in a couple years and they'll all get retconned, rebooted, deaged and generally screwed about with...

which is why i've never been keen to get into DC comics lately, i'll stick to Ultimate Marvel where we at least know that the events have taken place over roughly four or five years. (ish.)
I pretty sure that Ultimate Spider-man wrecks that and it takes place over some crazy period of time like three months!
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 09:34 PM   #12
captcalhoun
Admiral

the first one hundred issues are supposed to be a year. but that's a huge retcon, since there was a 3-month gap from Power and Responsibility to the second arc, the Carnage arc has 2 one month gaps and there's a six-month jump at the end of Hollywood.

it's never perfect though...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 10:01 PM   #13
Llama
Captain

No way is Damien only ten. He steals the batmobile to impress a girl (battle for the cowl) - he'd have to be at least 13-14 for that sort of behavior.

Also, it might just be me, but I'd love to see dick and babs finally get together permanently. If it can work for green arrow and black canary, why not for them?
Old August 18 2010, 10:24 PM   #14
Lord Garth

It's said repeatedly in the comics that Damian is 10.

Based on this, Ra's Al Ghul -- in post-Infinite Crisis continuity -- was now introduced when Dick Grayson was in high school instead of college.

I'd say:

Bruce Wayne = Pushing 40
Kate Kane (Batwoman) = 32
Barbara Gordon (Oracle) = Pushing 30
Dick Grayson = 25 or 26
Jason Todd = 21-ish
Cassandra Cain = 20
Stephanie Brown (Batgirl) = 19
Tim Drake (Red Robin) = 17 1/2 (almost 18)
Damian Wayne (Robin) = 10
Old August 18 2010, 11:35 PM   #15
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Remember too that Damien is genetically engineered as well...enhanced if you will after his birth as was shown in the flashback bits in "Batman #666". ^ Lord Garth's age chart there is what I would subscribe too as well.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote