RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,902
Posts: 5,387,589
Members: 24,718
Currently online: 624
Newest member: Tribblemaker

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 30 2010, 12:01 AM   #1
Dusty Ayres
Commodore
 
Location: ANS Yamato, Sector 5, Sol System
Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

Continuing on with the residual dislike of SDCC:

Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2010, 12:29 AM   #2
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

No
__________________
Lex Luthor is a true American hero.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2010, 02:31 AM   #3
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

I live in the NYC tri-State and the NYC Comic Con sucks yak nuts compared to San Diego.

Fun, sunshine & half naked women or 20 degrees with a windchill making it feel like 10 below, playing human frogger against NYC cabs and crack whores looking to knife you for a quarter.

Choices.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2010, 02:49 AM   #4
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

New York doesn't have as many celebrities that can visit the comic con either.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Biggshow
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Corona, CA
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

Is it me or was that just a small bunch of photos? Article? Plus some of the actual Con related photos could have been taken at San Diego. Kevin Smith? A San Diego regular for years.

Not sure I get the point. I could just as easily do the same for the very successful upstart Long Beach Comic-Con. No Kevin Smith but we got Robot Chicken.

As someone who's been going to San Diego since 1973 (when the biggest celebrity was Neal Adams), I love that it's gotten huge and crazy. You just gotta know that going in.
__________________
Be careful out there.
Biggshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Rowan Sjet
Commodore
 
Rowan Sjet's Avatar
 
Location: Away!
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con



(Look, I can use pictures too!)
__________________
And the sign said, "Long haired freaky people need not apply..."
Rowan Sjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2010, 06:25 PM   #7
ToddKent
Captain
 
ToddKent's Avatar
 
Location: Dallas, TX
View ToddKent's Twitter Profile
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

Biggshow wrote: View Post
Is it me or was that just a small bunch of photos? Article? Plus some of the actual Con related photos could have been taken at San Diego.
I was thinking the same thing. They aren't really making a great argument.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2010, 08:19 PM   #8
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

exodus wrote: View Post
I live in the NYC tri-State and the NYC Comic Con sucks yak nuts compared to San Diego.

Fun, sunshine & half naked women or 20 degrees with a windchill making it feel like 10 below, playing human frogger against NYC cabs and crack whores looking to knife you for a quarter.

Choices.
Too true.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Dusty Ayres
Commodore
 
Location: ANS Yamato, Sector 5, Sol System
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

Rowan Sjet wrote: View Post


(Look, I can use pictures too!)
ToddKent wrote: View Post
Biggshow wrote: View Post
Is it me or was that just a small bunch of photos? Article? Plus some of the actual Con related photos could have been taken at San Diego.
I was thinking the same thing. They aren't really making a great argument.
Just click on the picture thingy and advance the pictures.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 10:23 AM   #10
Biggshow
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Corona, CA
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

^^^Ah.

While I understand that the captions are mostly meant with good humor let me rebut a couple just to be dickish about it.

Pic 1) Wrong. As I pointed out in another thread, there was plenty of comic action at SDCC; Marvel and DC both had about 15 panels each over the 4 days and the indies weren't left out, either. Plus workshops, seminars, etc. Oh, and a little thing called the Eisner Awards. Plus shite-loads of dealers on the floor. Don't listen to rumors.

Pic 2) Is just more bellyaching in the Pic 1 vein. It is not an argument. No it isn't. It is not. Look, this is not an argument.

Pic #3) 70,000? Hmm, so San Diego circa 1996 or -97. This argument will go away in about 5 - 10 years.

Skiiping 4 for a minute.

8) Wrong. Hotels a plenty and near the airport, trolley lines and busses. Someone is sadly misinformed.

10) Oh, yeah. Well, I live in CA. So there.

Back to 4) Maybe but I'll submit these for your perusal:

http://uglycouchshow.com/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15334

http://uglycouchshow.com/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15355

http://uglycouchshow.com/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15502

http://uglycouchshow.com/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15514

http://uglycouchshow.com/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15541

...and the piece de resistance...porn star Kayden Kross just chillin' with the nerds for no apparent reason...

http://uglycouchshow.com/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15598

Yeah, I think I'll stick with San Diego. Although NY does have its charms.
__________________
Be careful out there.
Biggshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 02:35 PM   #11
barnaclelapse
Commodore
 
barnaclelapse's Avatar
 
Location: Waverly, VA.
Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

exodus wrote: View Post
I live in the NYC tri-State and the NYC Comic Con sucks yak nuts compared to San Diego.

Fun, sunshine & half naked women or 20 degrees with a windchill making it feel like 10 below, playing human frogger against NYC cabs and crack whores looking to knife you for a quarter.

Choices.
See I happen to enjoy that kind of thing.

I've worked at dozens of conventions but have somehow managed to miss both of these.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 08:24 PM   #12
Othello
Commodore
 
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

Biggshow wrote: View Post
^^^Ah.

While I understand that the captions are mostly meant with good humor let me rebut a couple just to be dickish about it.

Pic 1) Wrong. As I pointed out in another thread, there was plenty of comic action at SDCC; Marvel and DC both had about 15 panels each over the 4 days and the indies weren't left out, either. Plus workshops, seminars, etc. Oh, and a little thing called the Eisner Awards. Plus shite-loads of dealers on the floor. Don't listen to rumors.

Pic 2) Is just more bellyaching in the Pic 1 vein. It is not an argument. No it isn't. It is not. Look, this is not an argument.

Pic #3) 70,000? Hmm, so San Diego circa 1996 or -97. This argument will go away in about 5 - 10 years.

Skiiping 4 for a minute.

8) Wrong. Hotels a plenty and near the airport, trolley lines and busses. Someone is sadly misinformed.

10) Oh, yeah. Well, I live in CA. So there.

Back to 4) Maybe but I'll submit these for your perusal:

http://uglycouchshow.com/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15334

http://uglycouchshow.com/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15355

http://uglycouchshow.com/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15502

http://uglycouchshow.com/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15514

http://uglycouchshow.com/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15541

...and the piece de resistance...porn star Kayden Kross just chillin' with the nerds for no apparent reason...

http://uglycouchshow.com/gallery/mai...2_itemId=15598

Yeah, I think I'll stick with San Diego. Although NY does have its charms.
Overall I agree now that said...

Eh.. porn stars are a dime a dozen. Fun people to party and hang with though. Once you've been around them though you realize it's no big deal.

Kinda like bouncing in a strip club.. guys used to say "you have the best job in the world" and i'd be like.. "Eh.. you've seen one naked stripper you've seen em all"
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 10:03 PM   #13
Biggshow
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Corona, CA
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

^^^You raise a good point (so to speak).
__________________
Be careful out there.
Biggshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 10:19 PM   #14
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

Supergirl was a popular costume. Or at least popular with the guy taking those photos.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 10:56 PM   #15
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: Why New York Comic-Con Is Superior to San Diego Comic-Con

As a NYer who lived for many years in SD, I have to admit that the "article" (captions, three words and a mule, whatever) does raise a valid point or two. Comic conventions used to be about comics. SD really isn't anymore. And it really is a zoo. Impossible to get in, impossible to see anything or talk to anyone... it's just too damn big. And you can't beg borrow or steal your way in within two months of the thing.
Maybe if it were managed better....
__________________
"shall not be infringed" is naturally open to infringements of all kinds, because shut up and think of the children.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2ImW0V3GV
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
comics, new york comic-con, san diego comic-con

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.