Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 9 2010, 01:51 AM   #31
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: "Devil"

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

It made me think of a Saw movie, only without the Rube Goldberg death contraptions.
And without those, what's the point?
Old August 9 2010, 01:56 AM   #32
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

What A TWIST! the movie
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2010, 03:37 PM   #33
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

It made me think of a Saw movie, only without the Rube Goldberg death contraptions.
And without those, what's the point?
Yeah, that was my thought. It would have to ride completely on the mystery and the characters--things Shyamalan has not done well in his scripts for quite some time.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2010, 05:11 PM   #34
Wynterhawk
Commodore

Location: Wynterhawk is cool like the other side of your pillow

It looks like the type of movie with very stereotypical characters that do nothing but get on your nerves until they are slowly killed off.
My thoughts exactly. Considering right away, you get the girl in the tank-top and the shot down her shirt as she's crawling on the floor. Who even wears tank tops?
Old August 9 2010, 05:56 PM   #35
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Wynterhawk wrote: View Post
It looks like the type of movie with very stereotypical characters that do nothing but get on your nerves until they are slowly killed off.
My thoughts exactly. Considering right away, you get the girl in the tank-top and the shot down her shirt as she's crawling on the floor. Who even wears tank tops?
Don't care, she's got nice bewbies.
Old August 10 2010, 11:03 AM   #36
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Wynterhawk wrote: View Post
Judging by what I've seen this Summer...a lot of women do.
Old August 31 2010, 03:52 AM   #37
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

I got a kick out of this humorous pitch meeting for "Devil".

STUDIO EXEC #1: Thanks for coming to the meeting, everyone. As you know, this is my first day back on the job after being in a coma for the last six years.
STUDIO EXEC #2: Welcome back!
STUDIO EXEC #3: We missed you!
STUDIO EXEC #4: Very little has changed!
STUDIO EXEC #2: We're going to hear a pitch from ... let's see ... oh. M. Night Shyamalan.
STUDIO EXEC #3: Ugh.
STUDIO EXEC #4: Oh, no.
STUDIO EXEC #1: Shyamalan? Terrific! That guy is hot! Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs -- the man is on fire!
STUDIO EXEC #2: Yeah, actually, about that...
STUDIO EXEC #1: Bring him in! Let's do this!
(M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN enters, sitting on a golden throne carried on the backs of a dozen servants while harem girls fan the air before him with palm fronds and chant his name.)
SHYAMALAN: Good morning, gentlemen.
Old August 31 2010, 04:01 AM   #38
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I know I've sat in there and heard them. As for a regular theater moaning I've never heard moans on any film, excitement yes, moans no. Who the hell are these snobs?
I groaned when M. Night Shyamalan's name came up, so I guess I'm one of those snobs. So did the entire audience I was with when the trailer came up.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 04:03 AM   #39
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Argus Skyhawk wrote:
As a huge fan of The Sixth Sense and an admirer of Unbreakable, I feel bad for the guy. He showed promise in his earlier films, and man I was hoping The Last Airbender would prove to be his comeback. Dang.
I don't feel bad for him, because anyone could see, and should have seen at the script stage, that Signs, et al, had tremendous flaws. My interest, at this point, is almost academic--how did he go from making engaging, hermetic mysteries to what I'll charitably describe as "stories" about ludicrous, essentially divine threats, resolved by the Power of Fucking Love?

Well, that and the interest in being entertained by schadenfreude.

I agree with the above comments that Devil looks absolutely dire, and possibly not even interestingly bad, like Signs or The Happening.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 06:01 AM   #40
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I've seen the trailer in front of three movies now, and other audience members laughed each time when Shyamalan's name came up on screen. I think that's rather unfortunate, really. I may not have cared much for The Village, and flat-out hated The Happening like so many others, but I still think he brings a different sensibility and approach that can be very interesting.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'm actually looking forward to this...he just came up with the story M.Night didn't write or direct this film so I have hopes it will be good. The next film in the series is called "The Twelve Strangers" and is being written by Chris Sperling who wrote the upcoming Ryan Reynolds movie "Buried".
Thank you for this. When I noticed the website URL in the trailer the first time, I assumed this was a novel adaptation but I never bothered trying to find out if my assumption was accurate or not.

While I don't disagree that he's been on a downward spiral since Signs (which I wasn't all that fond of, and I have yet to watch Lady in the Water), I loved Unbreakable and quite enjoyed The Sixth Sense. If Shyamalan had directed this, I probably would've waited for a rental. Since he didn't, I think I'll go ahead and try to check it out in theater if I can fit it in.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 06:21 AM   #41
Snaploud
Admiral

It's not just the name of the director that causes audiences to laugh. The title and general trailer plot-line tends to cause a lot of amusement. It gets a big laugh every time.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 05:28 PM   #42
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I've seen the trailer in front of three movies now, and other audience members laughed each time when Shyamalan's name came up on screen.
Now it's just seen as the 'hip' thing to do now that the clip has made the rounds. Uwe Boll made horrid movies and if any director deserved to be laughed at when his name appeared it would be his and yet it didn't happen. No reported mass laughter at trailers or just his name appearing.

Laughing at M.Night has just become some trendy fad to do now.

I've seen the trailer twice and not once witnessed any discernable vocal reaction from the crowd. I haven't seen it in about a month so I'm curious to see if the fad will have finally infiltrated Nashville audiences next time I see it.

Besides USAToday rates him on a comeback with Airbender(an A- grade), sorry to rock the boat of the haters.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 05:43 PM   #43
exodus
Fleet Admiral

All M. Nights trailers look good................then you see the actual film and the uncontrollable vomiting starts.
Old August 31 2010, 06:15 PM   #44
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I've seen the trailer in front of three movies now, and other audience members laughed each time when Shyamalan's name came up on screen.
Now it's just seen as the 'hip' thing to do now that the clip has made the rounds. [...]
I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with the clip itself. The first occurrence I observed was at a midnight premiere of Inception, and the next two were within a matter of days after that. For my part, the laughter induced eye rolling and irritation.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 07:20 PM   #45
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Ok... so I've seen the trailer a few times over the past couple months.. Never groaned nor heard anyone else groan.. Just sayin'..

however, I did notice this past weekend when I went to the The Expendables, the "From the mind of M. Night..." was gone.. Only mentioned in the ending trailer credit.

Maybe someone got the message.. LOL