Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old April 18 2010, 05:54 AM   #1
Kane_Steel
Lieutenant Commander

A Sequel Series to Deep Space Nine

Personally, I think it would be a great point to launch a new series... a couple decades after the finale of DS9 (early 25th century) with a new crew on Deep Space Nine and Bajor part of the Federation; working together to explore the Gamma Quadrant.

They could bring back some fan favorite characters like Garak and even have a new Defiant style ship.

After seeing this trailer, I just think it would be epic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nBQVCwMLIA

They could have Sisko's second child, now an adult, as one of the crewmembers.

With a return to DS9, they could continue many of the storylines set up with TNG/DS9; Section 31, the fall of Cardassia, Klingon/Romulans etc
Kane_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: A Sequel Series to Deep Space Nine

Sounds like a ratings bonanza.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2010, 06:28 AM   #3
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Sounds like classic fanfiction.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2010, 01:03 PM   #4
JohnChod
Captain

I'm glad you said "personally." Realistically, we have to accept the fact that the situations visited in the TV shows are gone. They've run their course. We have the DVDs to allow us to revisit them and the book lines for the "continuing voyages," but they're not coming back on the small screen.
JohnChod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2010, 02:47 PM   #5
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

JohnChod wrote: View Post
I'm glad you said "personally." Realistically, we have to accept the fact that the situations visited in the TV shows are gone. They've run their course. We have the DVDs to allow us to revisit them and the book lines for the "continuing voyages," but they're not coming back on the small screen.
Nothing is coming back on the small screen unless it's something to do with NuTrek in the Abramsverse.

We can however but dream the dream.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2010, 05:02 PM   #6
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I love it when the fans think like producers.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2010, 07:02 PM   #7
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I love it when the fans think like producers.
Considering that Trek got into the mess it did because the producers didn't think like producers, we're just overcompensating.

I'd love to see a post-DS9 series. And the Abramsverse doesn't rule that out. As far as we know, DS9 happened pretty much as we saw, even in the new reality.

Or, maybe it all happened very differently. I wouldn't mind seeing another run-through of What Happened When the Feds Met the Dominion.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Guardian Bob
Lieutenant Commander

Although DS9 isn't my favoriate, that does sound really cool. I would like to see a completely retrofitted DS9, with more Federation tech. Also would want some Ezri Dax and some Vesta action.
Guardian Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Howsabout a re-run-through of DS9, but this time Spock has already warned Starfleet about the wormhole, the Dominion, and every other important event that happened?

When the Feds get out into Bajoran space, they've known the location of the wormhole for a long time. They know not to just go barging around and riling up with Dominion, so they make contact with the Doms peacefully and set up trading. No war.

Sisko would know about his identity as the Son of a Prophet from childhood. Maybe he never enters Starfleet but immigrates to Bajor as a teenager to take his place as their Dalai Lama. He would have no loyalty to the Federation or Starfleet and might become a far greater thorn in their side.

Characters like Garak and Dukat still exist and their agendas and personalities would be basically the same. The Romulans are still kickin' around and with Vulcan out of the picture, they're stronger and more dangerous than in our cosmos. No Unification movement to moderate their imperialistic impulses.

The Feds will play nice with the Dominion, but that doesn't change the fact that the Dominion represses the freedom of everyone they rule in the GQ. Are the Feds really happy to have friends like that?

Spock would most likely know about Bashir's abortive k-white cure. Would people in Starfleet feel morally obligated to re-create it and free the poor, enslaved Jems? What if Bashir himself found out that in another reality, he came up with that cure? Would that impel him to work on it? Considering that his genetic augmentation would be known - or would Spock keep that to himself? - would Bashir even be in Starfleet? Maybe he would be embittered by not being allowed in Starfleet and go to work for the Dominion!!!

And if Dukat got wind of his destiny in some other reality - the ruler of all Cardassia! - that certainly wouldn't moderate his insane ambitions. He'd just be determined to "do it right" this time.

In short, there will still be trouble, just this time, different trouble. It could be highly ironic and fun as the things Spock reveals might actually make it all turn out worse.
Old April 18 2010, 09:09 PM   #10
Guardian Bob
Lieutenant Commander

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Howsabout a re-run-through of DS9, but this time Spock has already warned Starfleet about the wormhole, the Dominion, and every other important event that happened?

When the Feds get out into Bajoran space, they've known the location of the wormhole for a long time. They know not to just go barging around and riling up with Dominion, so they make contact with the Doms peacefully and set up trading. No war.

Sisko would know about his identity as the Son of a Prophet from childhood. Maybe he never enters Starfleet but immigrates to Bajor as a teenager to take his place as their Dalai Lama. He would have no loyalty to the Federation or Starfleet and might become a far greater thorn in their side.

Characters like Garak and Dukat still exist and their agendas and personalities would be basically the same. The Romulans are still kickin' around and with Vulcan out of the picture, they're stronger and more dangerous than in our cosmos. No Unification movement to moderate their imperialistic impulses.

The Feds will play nice with the Dominion, but that doesn't change the fact that the Dominion represses the freedom of everyone they rule in the GQ. Are the Feds really happy to have friends like that?

Spock would most likely know about Bashir's abortive k-white cure. Would people in Starfleet feel morally obligated to re-create it and free the poor, enslaved Jems? What if Bashir himself found out that in another reality, he came up with that cure? Would that impel him to work on it? Considering that his genetic augmentation would be known - or would Spock keep that to himself? - would Bashir even be in Starfleet? Maybe he would be embittered by not being allowed in Starfleet and go to work for the Dominion!!!

And if Dukat got wind of his destiny in some other reality - the ruler of all Cardassia! - that certainly wouldn't moderate his insane ambitions. He'd just be determined to "do it right" this time.

In short, there will still be trouble, just this time, different trouble. It could be highly ironic and fun as the things Spock reveals might actually make it all turn out worse.
I think that's way to complicated and messy. And I don't think Spock wil reveal anything about what will happen in the future. He's not the kind of person who will disobey the temporal prime directive. The only thing that he might mention in the star that went nova, because it will go nova again.
Guardian Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2010, 09:48 PM   #11
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

DS9 is complicated and messy. That's what makes it better than simple, easy to follow TNG.
I don't think Spock wil reveal anything about what will happen in the future. He's not the kind of person who will disobey the temporal prime directive.
The Abramsverse is a different universe than Spock's original reality. Therefore, the temporal prime directive does not apply. Nero's incursion has already guaranteed that this universe's timeline won't unfold as the one in Spock's original universe did (if they were both on the same path to begin with). The deletion of Vulcan is a whopper of a timeline disruption.
Old April 19 2010, 08:57 AM   #12
Kibbin
Fleet Captain

I think he might be prepared to tell some things and not others, as some people said he would probably tell about the star going nova, he might talk about the probe and other more imeiate threats but the further out from Vulcan and the further into this future you get the less I think the explosion of Vulcan will affect stuff. Thus by the time of DS9 they will be running on a few hints and clues dropped by Spock before he popped his pointy Vulcan clogs
Old April 19 2010, 10:12 AM   #13
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I'm a huge fan of DS9 and of the relaunch books following the end of the series. I think a series set even a few years after the end of the series would work well, rebuilding the front lines of the war with the Cardassians now dependand on the Bajorans for help, the Wormhole and the Gamma Quadrant given a wide berth following the Dominion withdrawl. New crew aboard the station with Kira in command (love her!).

Personally I don't like the idea of 25th century series, yes you coulod have Sisko's kid grown up and in a uniform, Molly O'Brien following in her father's footsteps, etc, but I think that the 24th century still has a lot to give. DS9 Phase 2 could go very dark with the aftermath of the war and what it means for the Federation and the Alpha Quadrant. Although I do love the idea of a Starfleet-ised station.

And as for the NuTrek timeline, I'd say leave that for the feature films, and focus on some good episodic storytelling.

Just my thoughts,
Bry
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 03:50 PM   #14
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
Sounds like a ratings bonanza.

Bad Kelso! Bad boy!
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2010, 04:28 PM   #15
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I wouldn't bet on that. I think the mere existence of the chaotic Federation full of solids would cause the Founders to act pretty much as they had during the series, just at a different pace. The Dominion didn't invade the AQ in response to aggression, they did it because the Founders bring order to chaos, that's just what they do.