Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old April 20 2012, 01:58 PM   #2356
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
Thor was not being 100% truthful in that scene. He also possessed the Odinpower then. His own power levels were through the roof. That's why Iron Man couldn't do a damn thing to him, and his strikes were devasting.

Without the Odinforce, Thor is about 50% more powerful than Iron Man. With it he's at least 150% more powerful. It makes a big difference.
Care to cite for me where your claim about his power level is justified? Not the part about Odinforce, but the idea that he's only 50% more powerful than Tony w/o it.

I know of no basis to think that Thor was not telling the truth when he said he'd been holding back, and a lot of the events in the Thor books (esp the older ones) back that contention up.

Simply put, Thor is a member of Club Superman, those characters who, if written at their full canon power, are simply too overwhelmingly powerful for most threats they face solo, never mind in team books.
Old April 20 2012, 02:08 PM   #2357
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
We don't know how much energy Tony's reactor produces.
The Mark I AR was rated at 3GJ/s, the Mark II and III Paladium AR's seemed to give maybe 10 times that based on the Mark II/III suits. The Mark IV (Vibranium) AR was just given as 'significantly higher', lets argue 5 times more again or 50 times the original, 150GJ/s.

The suit in the movie would have to be able to withstand it's capacitors receiving charge from the reactor all at once depending on what Tony was planning, split between them perhaps, and a little buffering so say 175 maybe?

In other words, more than anything else on Earth could throw at him so I doubt he thought anything actually physically could do that to him. A man with a hammer throwing around hundreds of Gigajoules? I don't think anyone "expects" that.
Old April 20 2012, 02:50 PM   #2358
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
Thor was not being 100% truthful in that scene. He also possessed the Odinpower then. His own power levels were through the roof. That's why Iron Man couldn't do a damn thing to him, and his strikes were devasting.

Without the Odinforce, Thor is about 50% more powerful than Iron Man. With it he's at least 150% more powerful. It makes a big difference.
Care to cite for me where your claim about his power level is justified? Not the part about Odinforce, but the idea that he's only 50% more powerful than Tony w/o it.

I know of no basis to think that Thor was not telling the truth when he said he'd been holding back, and a lot of the events in the Thor books (esp the older ones) back that contention up.

Simply put, Thor is a member of Club Superman, those characters who, if written at their full canon power, are simply too overwhelmingly powerful for most threats they face solo, never mind in team books.
I don't deny that. But Iron Man is no slouch either. He's one of the Avenger's heavy hitters and always has been. Depending on the writer and the armor he's wearing he can come within shouting distance of Thor. Although Thor is clearly the more powerful of the two by a substantial margin.

The percentages are estimates based on having read their respective books, and The Avengers, for years (late 70s -late 90s).
Old April 20 2012, 08:28 PM   #2359
Timby
I AM the League of Mallows...

Since the review embargo has been lifted and the grading / discussion thread is open, I think the Avengers Anticipation Station has run its course.