Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 27 2010, 12:44 AM   #16
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Could "Inception" work as a TV series? (hypothetical)

There you go thanks for the correction...so then that renders my idea irreverent then.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 03:13 AM   #17
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I definitely think the basic concept could work on TV.

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I can see it working as a TV show. I think what you would need to do in order for the show to remain fresh is to have the character working toward something during the show. For example, like how Richard Kimble was trying to determine the killer of his wife on The Fugitive.

The film worked because Cobb was essentially a fugitive and he was doing these "mind heists" because he was trying to get home to his kids.
Or good old fashioned cold war hijinks. Getting inside the head of the rival spy to see what he knows to help the boys back home. Give our hero a rival who works for the other guys. And maybe some issues about a spy within his ranks. Since it's the future, maybe the cold war of season 1 goes hot in season two and the dream war with our rival agents of mind-stealers becomes a major focal point.
Old July 27 2010, 03:30 PM   #18
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I thought about this after I saw the movie, and I agree that it would get pretty stale as an episodic mission of the week show. It needs to have an ongoing arc, and it would have to be really good to keep a show with Inception's premise going.

Lindley wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
A client offers Cobb a job of the week to enter someone's mind and do something.
Well, I don't see Leo doing TV.
He will eventually just like every other movie star.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2010, 04:35 AM   #19
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It could definitely work as one of those ever-popular police procedurals with sci fi window dressing. You'd have futuristic Dream Cops who enter people's minds to solve crimes. You could also have them fight criminals who do the same thing with nefarious purposes. I'm surprised there isn't a show like that already! (As noted above, this is an oooold idea - Dreamscape must be, what, 20 years old?)

The dreams themselves wouldn't be too wild & wooly so you could do it on a TV budget. Inception's dreams weren't nearly as wild as real dreams anyway, so there's no contradiction there.

The real question is whether re-making Inception as a cop show would suck all the fun out of it. Put it on HBO or AMC and maybe it could be psychologically deep and interesting. Put it on Skiffy or USA and it would be formulaic garbage.
Could the stories work without ALL the action we saw in the Nolan feature film?
I found it comical that dreams would follow the obvious tropes of a Hollywood movie - car chase/shoot out/fist fight/explosion/repeat. So if the show had less formulaic action like that, more power to it!

Imagine a dream in which the battle is entirely verbal and psychological, with nary a Humvee or package of C-4 in sight. A TV version of Inception could be better than the movie.
Recast him with, I don't know, the guy from "Chuck."
Yep, Zach Levi's my first choice, too. Either him or Christopher Gorham (who has a show that's doing well, but Chuck probably has one season left in it before it needs to bow out gracefully).

It was mentioned by Arthur in the film that it was first created and used by the military (probably as a physical means to remote view others dreams and find out what enemy countries are plotting).
Remote viewing is a separate concept but a parallel one that could form the basis of yet another sci fi/cop crossover. (And another one I'm surprised doesn't already exist.) It's not impossible that when the whole dream thing starts to wear out its welcome, the show could evolve the technology so that something like remote viewing is also part of the story mix.

One change from the movie I'd insist on: there shouldn't be so much confidence in the literal meaning of what they see in dreams. Just because someone says "I believe XYZ" in a dream in no way means they literally believe that in real life. XYZ probably stands for something completely unrelated to whatever the dream is literally presenting. To be honest about the dream scenario (and more complicated and interesting), the Dream Cops would need to interpret everything they discovered properly. "I believe XYZ" might actually mean the opposite, or they might have to ferret out the true meaning of XYZ.
Since it's the future, maybe the cold war of season 1 goes hot in season two and the dream war with our rival agents of mind-stealers becomes a major focal point.
This starts to remind me of the premise of The Stars My Destination, in which technology so greatly invades the privacy of people that it starts to have serious repercussions on society. Maybe the Dream Cops are dream defenders, keeping interlopers out of their clients' heads? Once it's know how to invade other people's dreams, everyone will be paranoid and afraid even to sleep.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; July 31 2010 at 04:49 AM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2010, 06:22 AM   #20
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
This starts to remind me of the premise of The Stars My Destination, in which technology so greatly invades the privacy of people that it starts to have serious repercussions on society.
That sounds more like "In the Light of Other Days." Normally, I wouldn't be so pedantic, but I just spent a minute looking it up because I couldn't remember the title, and wanted some commemoration of my effort.
Old July 31 2010, 06:56 AM   #21
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

David cgc wrote: View Post
Normally, I wouldn't be so pedantic, but I just spent a minute looking it up because I couldn't remember the title, and wanted some commemoration of my effort.

Old July 31 2010, 05:25 PM   #22
Kegg
Rear Admiral

This starts to remind me of the premise of The Stars My Destination, in which technology so greatly invades the privacy of people that it starts to have serious repercussions on society.
That sounds more like "In the Light of Other Days." Normally, I wouldn't be so pedantic, but I just spent a minute looking it up because I couldn't remember the title, and wanted some commemoration of my effort.
I actually read that book, years and years ago. "The Light of Other Days" is, however, about a technology that allows you to view anything, anywhere, either occurring right now or in the past (allowing people to see Shakespeare's production of Hamlet; the real life of Jesus of Nazareth and a boy masturbating in the house across the way, to cite three examples actually in the book).

In other words while it does have society-shattering technology that winds up with a world where privacy and lying are outmoded notions, it doesn't really deal a lot with the idea that people's dreams or sleeping life is under threat - indeed, the internal mind is the only sanctum the characters have left.

Also: The basic concept behind "The Light of Other Days" would make a brilliant if very high concept and, inevitably, incredibly controversial TV show.
Old July 31 2010, 07:52 PM   #23
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I wasn't thinking so much about the specific tech as the idea of tech having severe repercussions for a society. Sci fi abounds in examples, that was just the first that came to mind.
Old August 1 2010, 09:01 PM   #24
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I think it has the potential to be a great tv series. The theme/arc of the first season could be the audience coming to realise that the characters are lost deep with a multi layered dream, and the characters are trying to work their way out. For me, something like that would have far more interest than the "job of the week" format (which it would probably more likely end up being.) The second season could end with the relaisation that they are in fact still lost, despite that being the apparent resolution of season one.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 09:27 PM   #25
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

There would be network pressure to make the show conform to some kind of weekly procedural format to make it accessible to sporadic viewers. But I think this premise has a rare opportunity to combine the deadening cop show format with an underlying arc, which would emerge as "what reality are we in, anyway?"

The characters blithely assume that they're in the "correct" reality when they emerge from the weekly job but over time, start to see signs that they maybe be wrong in that assumption. Then they have to somehow figure out a way back that doesn't involve committing suicide.

For people who are into arcs, we could follow along with theories about whether they are still in a dream and where that happened. For people who just want the procedural, they can ignore all that guff.

The rules of the game would require a lot of explanation, but TV is more forgiving of that stuff than a movie, where it becomes obnoxious if it takes up too much screen time. On TV, the rules can be doled out over several episodes and never slow things down.
Old August 1 2010, 09:35 PM   #26
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

The characters blithely assume that they're in the "correct" reality when they emerge from the weekly job but over time, start to see signs that they maybe be wrong in that assumption. Then they have to somehow figure out a way back that doesn't involve committing suicide.
That's how I see it could work, too. I think it would have a nice attraction to the "one off" viewers and the "arc-fans".

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 10:20 PM   #27
Harvey
Admiral

I could see it working as a weekly series, but I think that I would grow tired with the rather unimaginative dream states pretty quickly (even quicker on a television budget, which wouldn't allow for the moments of striking imagery that appear in the film like the folding city or the variable gravity). At that point, it's not much more than a procedural. And if you're going that route with a science fiction series, I'd be more interested in a remake of Alien Nation, or even that Gattaca series that was in development.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 10:28 PM   #28
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post

Lindley wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
A client offers Cobb a job of the week to enter someone's mind and do something.
Well, I don't see Leo doing TV.
He will eventually just like every other movie star.
He started out on TV in Growing Pains.

Even Clooney's not above doing a guest spot since he did one in the last few episodes of ER.

Also it wouldn't be uncommon for the character of Cobb to be recast.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2010, 03:33 AM   #29
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

I think it could work in a similar way that quantum leap. It would be prohibitively expensive though.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2010, 07:36 PM   #30
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

They could keep the budget in line by presenting dreams that are more psychological than dazzling SFX extravaganzas. I've never had a dream where I folded a city in half. Dreams have freaky things but they're often just variations on reality that have symbolic significance to the dreamer.