New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 9 2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Quasar may be joining the cast of "Avengers".

http://insidepulse.com/2011/02/09/ke...endell-vaughn/
Comic Book Movie has seemingly confirmed a longstanding rumor that Kevin Pennington is joining the cast of The Avengers. An up-and-coming actor, Pennington was linked to the movie last year when he tweeted about a meeting with Marvel that had gone well. Now, according to a press release from Marvel obtained by Comic Book Movie, Pennington has officially been named as SHIELD Agent Wendell Vaughn — a name most comic book fans will recognize as galactic hero Quasar.
While fans of Quasar shouldn’t expect Pennington to do any superheroics in the first Avengers film, his addition to the cast signifies that Marvel is already looking towards future plans perhaps beyond the Avengers line-up. Could a Guardians of the Galaxy film be in the works?
In addition to news of Pennington’s hiring, the press release also included a nugget of information regarding a publicity stunt Marvel plans for New York City during the principal filming of The Avengers. Marvel Studios plans to have its current roster of SHEILD agents available for meet and greets throughout the city. Cast members including Samuel L. Jackson (Director Nick Fury), Clark Gregg (Agent Phil Coulson), Cobie Smulders (Agent Maria Hill) and Pennington will be available for photographs at yet-to-be-announced times and locations.
Since first posting the press release, Comic Book Movie has taken it down — lending credence to the news’ validity. Whether or not this story turns out to be another one of the wild rumors that Comic Book Movie is known for publishing is still up in the air, though. In the meantime, what do you think of this newest addition to The Avengers? How do you think SHIELD will factor into the overall movie?
This is merely rumor, but it got me excited for future Marvel studio projects.

Silver Surfer was rumored a while back, Guardians of the Galaxy made a shortlist of projects that the head of the studio wanted to work on.

Quasar ir probably my favorite comicbook character. So, I'm excited.

What do you guys think?
Old February 9 2011, 11:41 PM   #2
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: Quasar may be joining the cast of "Avengers".

See I keep thinking you're all talking about that Patrick McNee show from the sixties.
Old February 9 2011, 11:44 PM   #3
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
See I keep thinking you're all talking about that Patrick McNee show from the sixties.
No, I mean these guys.
Old February 10 2011, 12:05 AM   #4
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Marvel movies are doing quite good at the box office.. some are big hits, some not but overall they are turning in profits and it may go on for quite a while.

There are tons of characters yet unfilmed or done "right" (looking at you Gambit.. come on, just cast Josh Holloway already!) so the potential is huge and it's only prudent that Marvel is looking several years into the future and setting up characters to be used later on.

It started with Iron Man and Shield.. when Agent Coulson spelled out Shield instead of the Supreme Headquarters blabla i nearly lost my pants there (can't believe i never figured it out during the whole movie! ) and it only went from there.

Their movies are now heavily connected and it is going to be huge with Thor, Cap America and finally Avengers next year. Let's see what spins out of there for the future.. maybe Marvel is ready to leave Earth and go full out by exploring their galactic scale heroes.. they tipped a toe in the water with Silver Surfer and the hinted Galactus but the FF were not up to quality as some of their other movies.
Old February 10 2011, 12:09 AM   #5
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
the FF were not up to quality as some of their other movies.

To be fair, Marvel Studios had nothing to do with the FF movies. Those were done by Fox . . . .
Old February 10 2011, 01:42 AM   #6
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Quasar? Honestly? Meh. Lots of better choices.

Should this thread be merged with the big Avengers thread?
Old February 10 2011, 06:01 AM   #7
FreezeC77
Commodore

If this is like one tiny step closer to something happening on the big screen with Guardians of the Galaxy that's one tiny step closer to Rocket Raccoon.

FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
http://insidepulse.com/2011/02/09/ke...endell-vaughn/
Comic Book Movie has seemingly confirmed a longstanding rumor that Kevin Pennington is joining the cast of The Avengers. An up-and-coming actor, Pennington was linked to the movie last year when he tweeted about a meeting with Marvel that had gone well. Now, according to a press release from Marvel obtained by Comic Book Movie, Pennington has officially been named as SHIELD Agent Wendell Vaughn — a name most comic book fans will recognize as galactic hero Quasar.
While fans of Quasar shouldn’t expect Pennington to do any superheroics in the first Avengers film, his addition to the cast signifies that Marvel is already looking towards future plans perhaps beyond the Avengers line-up. Could a Guardians of the Galaxy film be in the works?
In addition to news of Pennington’s hiring, the press release also included a nugget of information regarding a publicity stunt Marvel plans for New York City during the principal filming of The Avengers. Marvel Studios plans to have its current roster of SHEILD agents available for meet and greets throughout the city. Cast members including Samuel L. Jackson (Director Nick Fury), Clark Gregg (Agent Phil Coulson), Cobie Smulders (Agent Maria Hill) and Pennington will be available for photographs at yet-to-be-announced times and locations.
Since first posting the press release, Comic Book Movie has taken it down — lending credence to the news’ validity. Whether or not this story turns out to be another one of the wild rumors that Comic Book Movie is known for publishing is still up in the air, though. In the meantime, what do you think of this newest addition to The Avengers? How do you think SHIELD will factor into the overall movie?

Quasar ir probably my favorite comicbook character. So, I'm excited.

What do you guys think?
Seriously love this! I'm a big fan of Wendell...he's one of the more powerful characters in the Marvel universe, and should be such a huge part of their overall cosmic stories. No respect for this gem of a character (I blame The Infinity Gauntlet ).

Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2011, 07:49 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
I don't think Quasar's going to be joining them in that show.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2011, 07:55 AM   #10
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I keep getting Nova, Sentry and Quasar confused with each other.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2011, 08:14 AM   #11
captcalhoun
Admiral

meh, he may just be Agent Vaughn, like he is in Ultimate.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2011, 10:46 AM   #12
TemporalFlux
Commodore

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
meh, he may just be Agent Vaughn, like he is in Ultimate.
Yep; they love to hint at stuff in the movies, but that's probably as far as it goes. Iron Man 2 had "Project Pegasus" crates in the background of Tony's house. We won't likely ever see "Project Pegasus", but Wendall in his Quasar identity was chief of security at the Project for awhile.

That said, Quasar is an untapped potential for Marvel. If he were handled right, he could be something unique that could relate to a wider audience. I developed a proposal for it back during the whole Bill Jemas Epic experiment, but it ended up on the garbage pile where all of the other average joe Epic submissions landed. Artist Svetlana Chmakova put together the pencils and inks (she's a really great talent). Here's a taste:

Last edited by TemporalFlux; February 10 2011 at 11:07 AM.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I am only interested if Eon is his sidekick in the movie.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2011, 03:45 PM   #14
captcalhoun
Admiral

Ultimate Wendell's head of security at PP, which is basically where the US dumps stuff like the Serpent Crown, the Infinity Gauntlet and other such macguffins.

maybe that's how he comes into it: loki steals the cosmic cube from Project Pegasus...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2011, 06:39 PM   #15
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

What do you guys think?
I'm not a reader of these particular comics, so Quasar doesn't mean anything to me. Also, I'm not familiar with Kevin Pennington, so I googled him.

Yum. Seriously, he brings the pretty. No idea if he can act (besides, Nathan Fillion's in it, so I'll be there), but I'll be watching Pennington, for sure.