Star Trek Beyond Adds New Cast Member
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Pegg: No Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Stewart Snotbot Support

Ryan Joins Arrow

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old July 24 2010, 03:04 AM   #31
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Teaser

Different kind of teaser. I found it amusing. Referring to Penelope Cruz by name was odd, though.

I think the Pirates of the Carribean movies were equal parts stupid, obnoxious, entertaining and overlong.

The only characters I care about seeing again are Jack Sparrow and Barbossa.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2010, 03:12 AM   #32
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post

Can you think of any other examples? I can't.

THUNDERBALL, maybe. I don't like it, but I believe I'm in the minority. It was certainly a huge hit in its day.

I'm tempted to name DUCK SOUP, which was the fourth Marx Bros. movie, but I'm not sure if that's exactly a series in the same sense (although Groucho, Harpo, and Chico were basically playing the same characters in every movie).
Old July 24 2010, 03:17 AM   #33
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

THUNDERBALL, maybe. I don't like it, but I believe I'm in the minority. It was certainly a huge hit in its day.

I'm tempted to name DUCK SOUP, which was the fourth Marx Bros. movie, but I'm not sure if that's exactly a series in the same sense (although Groucho, Harpo, and Chico were basically playing the same characters in every movie).
I didn't like Thunderball either.

Duck Soup was okay, but not nearly on the level of Animal Crackers or Horse Feathers.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2010, 03:23 AM   #34
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I didn't like Thunderball either.

Duck Soup was okay, but not nearly on the level of Animal Crackers or Horse Feathers.

But, in its day, I don't think THUNDERBALL was perceived as a disappointment or failure akin to, say, BATMAN AND ROBIN or SUPERMAN IV. It counted as a success at the time.

HORSE FEATHERS is my favorite, too, but I think DUCK SOUP is better than ANIMAL CRACKERS, which is looking pretty creaky these days. The holy trinity of MONKEY BUSINESS, HORSE FEATHERS, and DUCK SOUP remains my gold standard for the Marx Bros.

Although A NIGHT AT THE OPERA might be the best fifth movie in a series!

Wait! One more contender. CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES might well be the best of the APES sequels . . . ..
Old July 24 2010, 03:26 AM   #35
Skywalker
Admiral

As for TVH, that's still the best example I can think of a fourth movie that, for most people, did not disappoint. To the contrary, it was actually more popular than any of the prior movies.

That may have had less to do with the fact that it was light-hearted than with the fact that you didn't need a degree in TREK history to understand the movie. Once you got past the opening bit with the Klingons, you had an engaging time-travel lark that didn't really require any prior knowledge of the STAR TREK universe . . . .
I can.

What?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2010, 03:35 AM   #36
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

HORSE FEATHERS is my favorite, too, but I think DUCK SOUP is better than ANIMAL CRACKERS, which is looking pretty creaky these days. The holy trinity of MONKEY BUSINESS, HORSE FEATHERS, and DUCK SOUP remains my gold standard for the Marx Bros.
I love Horse Feathers. It has some of the best Marx Brothers sketches. The football sequence was hilarious. Especially when Pinky rides a chariot-esque vehicle into the field.

Wait! One more contender. CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES might well be the best of the APES sequels . . . ..
Never saw it. I do like how we're stretching to find good fourth installments, though. Only proves my point.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2010, 03:39 AM   #37
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Most of the supporting cast is gone, a new director is being brought in....
Johnny Depp is the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. The supporting cast exists for he soul purpose of allowing him to chew scenery all day and all night long.

While Will Turner was originally intended to be the protagonist, it didn't turn out that way, mostly due to the force of Depp's performance.

They could make the entire movie about Jack Sparrow playing with toy boats in a bathub for three hours and it would still be more entertaining then 99% of the drek out there.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2010, 03:41 AM   #38
J. Allen
Subtextual

View J. Allen's Twitter Profile

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
Most of the supporting cast is gone, a new director is being brought in....
Johnny Depp is the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. The supporting cast exists for he soul purpose of allowing him to chew scenery all day and all night long.

While Will Turner was originally intended to be the protagonist, it didn't turn out that way, mostly due to the force of Depp's performance.

They could make the entire movie about Jack Sparrow playing with toy boats in a bathub for three hours and it would still be more entertaining then 99% of the drek out there.
I'll be honest... I'd watch it.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2010, 04:39 AM   #39
Dream
Admiral

OT: While I was at the store today, I was glad to find all the POTC PEZ toys for $3. I love these things. Candy on the go.

Looking forward to POTC4.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2010, 04:43 AM   #40
Jetfire

I hope you bought 2 of each...1 to eat and the other to collect...secure in it's unopened package.

I have an Eeyore & Garfield Pez I got like 8 years ago...unopened.
Old July 24 2010, 04:50 AM   #41
Dream
Admiral

Captain Jack Sparrow crosses paths with a woman from his past (Penelope Cruz), and he's not sure if it's love--or if she's a ruthless con artist who's using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge, the ship of the formidable pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane), Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn't know who to fear more: Blackbeard or the woman from his past.
—Disney's official press release
That's the official summary for those that are wondering.

Jetfire wrote: View Post
I hope you bought 2 of each...1 to eat and the other to collect...secure in it's unopened package.

I have an Eeyore & Garfield Pez I got like 8 years ago...unopened.
I'm really tempted to do that. The toys are nice.
Old July 24 2010, 04:59 AM   #42
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

How is this even a teaser? It's just Johnny as Captain Jack talking about the movie fourth wall directly to the audience at comic con. A teaser is something that might show something from the actual movie. Quite frankly they should have stopped making these films after the first movie. I enjoyed the first film and I enjoyed Depp's performance in it. The second was okay and I refuse to watch the third and have no interest in this fourth movie.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2010, 06:12 AM   #43
Nowhere Man
Commodore

I can't wait for this movie
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2010, 06:15 AM   #44
Skywalker
Admiral

I'm just glad they're only doing one movie this time. I liked the two sequels, but they were hideously bloated, and didn't have a story worth stretching across two movies.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2010, 07:08 AM   #45
Dream
Admiral

Something I've been thinking about.

We have POTC4 coming out next year, but where are the other pirate movies? It's been seven years since the first POTC, but there haven't been other big budget pirate movies that have been released with the exception of this franchise. Studios still don't want to take a chance with this genre. That's a shame.