Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 21 2015, 01:11 AM   #1
Hela
Commander

The IMDB and bans

As people may know, the latest Mad Max movie has come out in the last few weeks and gained some praise for its handling of its female characters.

As expected of any movie that receives critical/commercial success, this has turned its IMDB board into a pit of vipers. Beyond the typical differences of opinion that get out of hand, Rape and beating threats have been thrown about, out and out verbal abuse against other posters, stalking and harassing posters when they move on to other boards, the works.

My question is: based on people's experience or impressions of the site as a whole (not just that example in particular), what do you think of how it is regulated? Do people think the modding should be more severe and repeat offenders quickly get the boot, or that the current system of 'put them on ignore' should be left as it is? Just what do people think of its board system in general?
Hela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2015, 01:46 AM   #2
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Re: The IMDB and bans

Unreadable format, youtube level commentary.

And no reason to change that, IMDB doesn't exist as a forum. That's just an extra.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2015, 01:51 AM   #3
Random_Spock
Commodore

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Exactly. And some of the forums are just insane. The X Files one I don't visit that often due to crazies.

@ Hela: Not as bad as what you mentioned, but it's still insane what some people do on their boards.
Old May 21 2015, 02:47 AM   #4
BigJake
Vice Admiral

I have never touched the imdb forums and am happy to leave it that way.
Old May 21 2015, 02:53 AM   #5
Melakon
Admiral

The Comments and User Reviews for films, series, episodes, and personalities have always had their share of nutbags.
Old May 21 2015, 03:44 AM   #6
scotpens
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Unreadable format, youtube level commentary.
Well, not quite. I think the average level of comments on YouTube is actually getting dumber every year.

As for IMDb: If you don't like it, don't read it.
Old May 21 2015, 05:11 AM   #7
Hela
Commander

I've never understood that reasoning, and I don't mean just for board posts. How are you meant to know whether you like something, unless you read it?

Although maybe I've just seen it used too many times to try and deflect any personal responsibility for whatever is being criticised (and usually accompanied by 'lots of other people like it, so STOP BEING A BIG FLAMING BULLY!') That may have made me a bit cynical of its use.

Last edited by Hela; May 21 2015 at 05:52 AM.
Hela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2015, 05:20 AM   #8
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

The IMDB boards are as bad as the Aint It Cool News Talkbacks or the youtube comments section...they're a bunch of mouth breathing foul mouthed morons. A wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Old May 21 2015, 12:20 PM   #9
hux
Fleet Captain

View hux's Twitter Profile

New or current shows/films are monumentally trolled and banning people does nothing as they can create a new username in five seconds. I've never understood the point of an ignore function though since my own innate ability to ignore things works just fine.

Trolling can be funny though so i'm content to wade through a slew of ripe anal discharge if it means getting some top quality lulz

scotpens wrote: View Post
Well, not quite. I think the average level of comments on YouTube is actually getting dumber every year.
Youtubers are comedy fried gold

hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2015, 07:54 PM   #10
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

IMDb boards are ridiculous. Anyone who can find their way to the internet shouldn't be allowed to post.
Old May 21 2015, 08:23 PM   #11
Melakon
Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Anyone who can find their way to the internet shouldn't be allowed to post.
Especially on Twitter, since what passes for news these days is sometimes some stupid post by someone who's considered a celebrity because they were once a contestant on a "reality" show.
Old May 21 2015, 09:08 PM   #12
Awesome Possum
Mad With Power

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

The IMDB boards make 4chan look inviting. I was once browsing it and ended up on the page for the Tim Burton version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. There was some poster who was obsessed with Mike TeeVee, the kid who loved TV and got shrunk. Every thread was about how great the character was, how the character deserved to win the price, how the movie should have been rewritten so he was the main character and how the poster was a guy in his 40s.

It may have been a troll, but I decided that IMDB was full of nuts, creeps and morons.
I have existed from the creation of the forum and I shall exist until the last thread is deleted from the server. Although I have taken the form of Awesome Possum, I am all posters as I am no poster and therefore I am a Mod.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2015, 01:25 AM   #13
Melakon
Admiral

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
I decided that IMDB was full of nuts, creeps and morons.
Then I'm glad I stopped using my log-in ID over there.
Old May 22 2015, 10:31 AM   #14
shivkala
Rear Admiral

The message boards are like a car wreck to me, I can't look away. It's interesting that every actress' board has a thread on how "hot" they are and a thread on who they look like (usually multiple of the latter). So much so that when I looked recently at an actress who was on Modern Family, her board had a post entitlted, "No hottie post?," as if it were a requirement for her being on IMDB.

Sometimes, though, the posts can be entertaining. My favorite are the ones that talk directly to the celebrity, as if they set up this page themselves. These range from the benign "Happy Birthday" posts to stalker level creepy. Other favorites are the people who post that they saw the celebrity in real life, usually at a restaurant where they were acting spoiled.

The boards for TV and movies are a crap shoot. Sometimes you do find some decent discussions, especially for movies that leave a lot to the imagination. While not quite college-level theses on the movies, you can find some good insights. More often, however, you do get the "How is this rated so high, people who like this movie are idiots" posts, as well as their twins, the "How is this movie rated so low, people who don't like this movie are morons."

All of which makes me either feel like a reporter who was sent to investigate and is returning to report to you guys what he's found. I have to feel that way, because the alternative is to think...

"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2015, 12:20 PM   #15
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
I have never touched the imdb forums and am happy to leave it that way.
Same here. I use IMDB for informational purposes only, whenever I see something on TV and I think "who is that?"
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote