Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 4 2015, 07:48 AM   #1
Coco Pops 1967
Captain

Are all conservative governments the same?

I do not understand this.

Are conservatives the same everywhere? Cut, cut, cut, and more cuts?

Over here we have the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) which is close to what the BBC is and our conservative govt. keeps attacking them for not being pro government..

Seems that in the UK the same kind of govt. is wanting to shaft the BBC for much the same reasons, as they are not being pro government enough??

Why?

Is this how a conservative govt. works?

Science = We don't believe in that
Education = You don't need that so cut funding
Health = Health is optional you don't need that
Arts = Can't have that arts is for lefties

Anything that questions their motives is labeled as bad/evil?

Did I miss anything?
Old June 4 2015, 10:08 AM   #2
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Are all conservative governments the same?

No, the Right Wingers here are just the same. The rich use money to control their politicians and the politicians use religion to control the people.
Old June 4 2015, 10:12 AM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

Short answer no.

As what is called conservative can vary from country to country. Take the US for example the GOP would be called conservative in their country, yet many parties that hold that definition in other countries, are still closer to the US Democratic party.

In the UK the Conservative party would probably be seen as the more pro Arts party.

In the UK I think most parties believe in Science.

You can say anything that questions any parties beliefs is labelled as bad or evil, it's all a matter of perspective.

But to take spending cuts or austerity measures, the question is do they work.

If you look at Greece you would have to say no.
In the UK undergoing austerity measures it's economy was one of the fastest growing economies in the G7, so a case could be made that it can help.

But some of that is down to market confidence.

In the UK the best position for any party to hold is the centre ground, with the two major UK parties Conservative being seen as centre-right and Labour as centre-left. If they start to stray too far to the right or left they can very quickly find themselves out of power.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2015, 12:38 PM   #4
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

The Conservative party in the UK help pass the marriage equality law even though many in the party voted against it. Not all conservatives are John Birch Society types for God's sake. The centre right Liberal party in Australia is against the death penalty and supported strong gun control laws.

Ian Hislop
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2015, 01:10 PM   #5
hux
Fleet Captain

View hux's Twitter Profile

Cameron has always championed same sex marriage. I think it's less to do with equality and more to do with wanting everyone to be married because he thinks marriage leads to people being traditional, conventional, mortgage paying, tough on crime, conservatives.
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2015, 03:11 PM   #6
Coco Pops 1967
Captain

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
No, the Right Wingers here are just the same. The rich use money to control their politicians and the politicians use religion to control the people.

Don't forget the "fear card" they love to play that angle to pass laws now that in past years no one would have ever dreamed of. Patriot Act anyone?
Old June 5 2015, 01:24 AM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

You can't label all politicians of any particular political leaning as "the same". There are good people in any part of the spectrum. There are good and bad conservatives, liberals, etc.
Old June 5 2015, 01:58 AM   #8
teacake
Fleet Admiral

And every single government makes cuts. Or rather, shifts money around form one thing to another.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2015, 02:00 AM   #9
MANT!
Rear Admiral

Just remember, the scum often rises to the top..
Old June 5 2015, 02:03 AM   #10
Coco Pops 1967
Captain

MANT! wrote: View Post
Just remember, the scum often rises to the top..
That's an interesting phrase... Often used to describe pollies and lawyers

BTW your avatar what movie is that and where can you find it? I like
Old June 5 2015, 02:29 AM   #11
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I don't agree with this "all politicians are scum" crap. Not one bit. These are not alien beings, after all; they are us. Everyone who has ever been involved with politics is just a person doing his or her job. Of course some of them have made terrible mistakes, but not all of them have. Some of them have done quite good things.

To dismiss everyone who has ever held political office as somehow being 'beneath' us, smacks of reverse snobbery.
Old June 5 2015, 03:08 AM   #12
abeardall
Commander

Conservatives come in all flavors. I'm one...yet I do believe in science, don't think much of religion, and think the mass collection of information about us is an invasion of privacy.

When I was young, my parents taught me to spend less than I make. While I know now that that is difficult for a government, I do think that it is a goal to strive for.

I think that the wealthy and successful are not the enemy. Please don't tell me that I don't pay my fair share of taxes...I pay my share and probably several other people's share.

I think that lack of education and jobs is a problem in our inner cities, but the moment that someone sells drugs, shoots someone or loots a store it is their problem, their choice, and no one else's fault.

I think that people that are here illegally are breaking the law and should not be put ahead of those who followed the law.

I think that abortion is a stressful emotional experience for someone no matter where they stand politically and I would not wish that circumstance on anyone.

I think that Obamacare does not help people when they get a cheap premium with tax credits but still have an $4,000 deductible.

I think that there can be more than one right answer and that reasonable minds can disagree.

That is the kind of conservative that I am.

-A response to one of my posts by Nathan Hale Bridger (quoting my words)
abeardall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2015, 03:28 AM   #13
ichab
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
You can't label all politicians of any particular political leaning as "the same". There are good people in any part of the spectrum. There are good and bad conservatives, liberals, etc.
This. I've seen good and bad on both ends of the political spectrum. Most people who paint an entire ideology with the same brush reads or watches too much partisan filth.
Old June 5 2015, 03:43 AM   #14
Coco Pops 1967
Captain

ichab wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
This. I've seen good and bad on both ends of the political spectrum. Most people who paint an entire ideology with the same brush reads or watches too much partisan filth.

I agree you can't paint everyone the same but the whole "party system" fights against this.

You get into politics with the very best intentions but then once in the party you get told to shut up an tow the party line, so much for helping others.. Get rid of the party system
Old June 5 2015, 03:44 AM   #15
Coco Pops 1967
Captain

abeardall wrote: View Post
Conservatives come in all flavors. I'm one...yet I do believe in science, don't think much of religion, and think the mass collection of information about us is an invasion of privacy.

When I was young, my parents taught me to spend less than I make. While I know now that that is difficult for a government, I do think that it is a goal to strive for.

I think that the wealthy and successful are not the enemy. Please don't tell me that I don't pay my fair share of taxes...I pay my share and probably several other people's share.

I think that lack of education and jobs is a problem in our inner cities, but the moment that someone sells drugs, shoots someone or loots a store it is their problem, their choice, and no one else's fault.

I think that people that are here illegally are breaking the law and should not be put ahead of those who followed the law.

I think that abortion is a stressful emotional experience for someone no matter where they stand politically and I would not wish that circumstance on anyone.

I think that Obamacare does not help people when they get a cheap premium with tax credits but still have an $4,000 deductible.

I think that there can be more than one right answer and that reasonable minds can disagree.

That is the kind of conservative that I am.

That was a very good post and if this froum had +rep points I'd rep you.