TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 27 2010, 12:18 AM   #1
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Installing Photoshop on Windows XP

Long story short: I have a desktop computer running Windows XP. I also have a copy of Adobe Photoshop 7.0.

Recently, I had to replace the hard drive on the computer and basically re-install everything.

In January, I re-installed this same copy of Windows XP on the original hard drive as well as the same copy of Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and managed to get everything to work properly.

Last month, the hard drive finally crashed and had to be replaced. I've replaced it with a new drive that's got about seven or eight times as much space on it. I've re-installed all my programs, applications, etc. The one program which will NOT install is Photoshop 7.

I've Googled and researched, but nothing seems to fix the issue. I can begin the install process, but once I plug in the serial number/key, the installation stops. It doesn't freeze or crash or anything, it just stops.

Now, I had a very similar issue years ago with this machine and this copy of Photoshop doing this exact same thing, but somehow figured it out ... and being that I was able to effortlessly install and run the program seven months ago, I'm at a loss as to how this is happening.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

As always, thanks in advance to any and all for your advice and help.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 01:01 AM   #2
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl
Re: Installing Photoshop on Windows XP

Hummm...pretty strange. I have Photoshop CS (Version 8) and have never had trouble installing it, on either the XP platform, the Windows Vista platform, or the Windows 7 platform (which I was nervous about at first).

I have installed mine on a desktop and laptop running XP, a laptop running Vista, and a laptop running Windows 7 without incident.

I know that is not much help, except maybe as a process of elimination point...but I've thought I'd post it since I installed it on so many systems.

Good luck!

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 04:59 AM   #3
Small White Car
Rear Admiral

View Small White Car's Twitter Profile

Have you run all the Windows updates? Is it up to the most recent service pack? It's possible you used to have all the updates installed but now you don't.
Small White Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 07:12 AM   #4
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I'm running Service Pack 3, and as far as I can determine, I have installed all the updates I should -- at least according to my desktop tray. Is there a way I can check for updates? A cursory look through my start menu doesn't seem to lead to an obvious option ...
Old July 27 2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

That is weird. I have CS3, and reinstalled it too many times on the same machine without first de-activating it. So at one point it gave me the "too many installations" message and I had to get Adobe phone support to give me an activation code.

Now if I have to do a reinstall, I make sure to de-activate it before the uninstall.

Of course, Adobe's various installers suck rocks. Lately any updates I try fail completely.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 10:02 PM   #6
DarkHelmet
Admiral

View DarkHelmet's Twitter Profile

Perhaps try copying all the files to your hard drive from the CD and then run setup from the HD.
Old July 29 2010, 11:36 PM   #7
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I've tried everything I know how to do ... I'm pretty sure I've deleted the failed installation files. I can't seem to find anything on Google about this specific issue.

It's the same problem each time though. I fire up the setup, I input the serial key, and it just stops. The window remains but nothing happens.

It's just damn frustrating... and I know I've fixed it before, I just can't remember what it was I did all those years ago.
Old July 29 2010, 11:47 PM   #8
Pingfah
Admiral

Have you tried switching off all non microsoft services in msconfig and disabling the startup items? Make sure you're running nothing at all but windows, often it's just something that runs at startup interfering.
Old July 30 2010, 12:34 AM   #9
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I haven't ... but I don't think I know how to do what you're suggesting.
Old July 30 2010, 12:44 AM   #10
Pingfah
Admiral

Go to Start>Run type msconfig and press enter.

When the box pops up first untick the tab that says "Load Startup Items", then click the "Services" tab, tick the box that says "Hide All Microsoft Services" and then untick all the services that still remain, reboot and try installing again.
Old July 30 2010, 01:10 AM   #11
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Pingfah! You beautiful genius, that did the trick! Thank you so much!
Old July 30 2010, 07:48 AM   #12
Pingfah
Admiral

Smashing stuff, glad to help

Remember to reverse all of that now it's installed.
Old July 30 2010, 07:59 AM   #13
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I did. Thank you again!