Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 121 71.18%
Above average 40 23.53%
Average 6 3.53%
Below average 3 1.76%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 25 2010, 05:56 AM   #271
jadcox@mindspring.com
Commodore

View jadcox@mindspring.com's Twitter Profile
Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

The kids at the end looked taller than the ones seen earlier to me, so I stayed and watched the credits. But the resemblance was strong enough to sell them as the same characters AND make you question, so excellent casting all around.
jadcox@mindspring.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2010, 04:34 PM   #272
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Here are some observations I had.

The machines that let you share dreams make no sense whatsoever. This doesn't mean that Nolan has to make this conceit make perfect sense, but he at least has to make it believable. I mean, WTF is up with tapping into someone's mind by - plugging into their wrist?? Then you push a yellow, plunger-like button to share the dream. WTF? Then, once your in the dream, somehow these stupid suitcases follow you, and you can use them normally in a dream state. They are not simply representations of what the person might think these suitcases might look like, but the actual cases are there in the dream and they work. I know when I dream about a clock, it is not an actual working clock no matter how much I'm fooled by it! The TNG episode "Frame of Mind" (which was far better than this film) had something similar to this and yet made it believeable: the reflection thereapy device, a metal, functional-looking thing which actually scans a person's head and projects images from it. And although it never actually existed, it worked well enough to get Riker to think it actually did.
Old July 25 2010, 05:16 PM   #273
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

They planted the dream boxes into the dreams when they made the levels. It's that simple. You aren't going to make a dream box a cat or an orange.

And who cares how the thing works, he just needed to create some way to enter a dream world, and that's done. Your wrist isn't connected to your brain?
Old July 25 2010, 05:43 PM   #274
TechnoBoY
Fleet Captain

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post

But Tom Hardy was awesome! Nice to see him moving on from Shinzon and doing well with the part!
I had the strangest feeling he was familiar the whole movie! It was the voice! It made me so happy when it finally hit me where I knew him.

Good movie.
TechnoBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2010, 05:49 PM   #275
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I think Nolan has the same problem Lucas had. Obviously, to a much lesser extent, though. Lucas made an awesome trilogy of films, and could then work without any one questioning him, and the quality of TPM was the result. Nolan has now enough clout to make films without anyone questioning what's happening. Sure, his film does have far tighter writing, and much cooler ideas, but no one questioned important points about the film. He got a pass. Even the actors didn't know what was happening in this film.
Old July 25 2010, 05:52 PM   #276
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

They planted the dream boxes into the dreams when they made the levels. It's that simple. You aren't going to make a dream box a cat or an orange.
But, but they still aren't actual dream boxes!
Old July 25 2010, 06:14 PM   #277
RonSexton
Ensign

Did anyone notice that in the beginning of the movie when Cobb was looking out the window while Mal was on the chair. The chair that he ties the rope to so he could repel down the outside of the building. The window was in the pattern of the Legendary pictures logo.
RonSexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2010, 06:20 PM   #278
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Here are some observations I had.

The machines that let you share dreams make no sense whatsoever.
They made perfect sense; precisely because they are left unexplained. Any attempt to explain how someone can enter someone else's dream would be invariably total and utter nonsense - so don't. Since it is science fiction, science has provided the answer. Here are some scientific-like devices and limitations suggesting you can only tap into someone near by. Take that and run with it.

Frankly, I can't wrap my head around the idea of Star Trek fans - who accept as a point of fact many of the inexplicable technologies of the franchise (the transporter makes far, far less sense then the dream device seen here) find these smaller leaps of faith; so essential to most all sci-fi, so immersion breaking.

To wit:

The TNG episode "Frame of Mind" (which was far better than this film) had something similar to this and yet made it believeable: the reflection thereapy device, a metal, functional-looking thing which actually scans a person's head and projects images from it.
It creates a perfectly formed image of someone he knew to represent his subconscious; only it does it in the real world. This opens more questions then the Nolan tech.
Old July 25 2010, 06:23 PM   #279
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Nor are they actual guns, or cars, or rocket propelled grenades, but they still worked the way one would expect them to. More or less.
Old July 25 2010, 08:11 PM   #280
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

David cgc wrote: View Post
Nor are they actual guns, or cars, or rocket propelled grenades, but they still worked the way one would expect them to. More or less.

Exactly.

People question movies when their plots are lame or don't make any sense at all, or are just overall bad.

The movie didn't need to explain the dreambox, there is a dreambox and that's all there needs to be. People didn't question why the LOST island did what it did, they questioned why we didn't get any answers to questions. Almost no one questions the dream boxes because there is no needed to, the movie isn't about the dream box, it's about the human mind.

If a gun is a gun then a dream box can still be a dream box in a dream. That's the point of the dreams, to be realistic!

And yes, a Star Trek fan questioning one part of a movie that doesn't make any difference at all to the story is a joke. Look all the aliens look human, have the same type of planet, and speak English! Amazing! I don't need to know why! However a box, I want them to make some stupid excuse of.

And if you read what I have written about the movie I don't care who the directer is, I have seen three of his movies now (the Batmans and this) and it was a fun movie, not perfect, but it was entertaining and that's what I wanted.
Old July 25 2010, 08:23 PM   #281
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

I'd have to agree with the earlier post that says these characters were no more than chess pieces. Nolan spends so much time explaining the mechanics of his arbitrary dream-world rules that no one gets a chance to be a fully fleshed out, living, breathing person. And after about the fifth or sixth infodump I kind of checked out mentally -- I just didn't care enough about these people to make sense of what they were trying to do.

I laughed out loud at that moment where Leo goes "oh by the way, if you die in this dream, you go into limbo". It was just so random and stupid. Shouldn't all the dream-exploring professionals involved have KNOWN this already? And if they didn't, shouldn't Leo have told them, I don't know, BEFORE they entered the dream where they had a chance of ending up in endless limbo?

I think the thing I dislike the most about Nolan's films is they're so damn self-serious and self-important, to the point of being completely joyless. He doesn't seem to have any interest in injecting actual FUN into his movies. I thought this was a deliberate choice in Batman Begins, to avoid comparisons to the campy Schumacher films, but it appears this is just the way his movies are.

Also, you know you're in trouble when a character has an overly symbolic name like "Ariadne". I guess her parents knew when she was born that she would grow up to get a gig having to do with labyrinths/mazes.
Level 2 Diagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2010, 11:21 PM   #282
RoJoHen
Awesome

bigdaddy wrote: View Post

And who cares how the thing works, he just needed to create some way to enter a dream world, and that's done. Your wrist isn't connected to your brain?
I just assumed that the dream boxes contained the sedative, and the timing allowed them all to enter the dreamworld together.
Old July 25 2010, 11:39 PM   #283
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Level 2 Diagnostic wrote: View Post
I laughed out loud at that moment where Leo goes "oh by the way, if you die in this dream, you go into limbo". It was just so random and stupid. Shouldn't all the dream-exploring professionals involved have KNOWN this already? And if they didn't, shouldn't Leo have told them, I don't know, BEFORE they entered the dream where they had a chance of ending up in endless limbo?
Cob was talking specifically for that dream because of the sedatives (in normal dreams, when someone dies they just wake up) and everyone else, particularly Eames, were upset that he didn't tell them prior to entering Fischer's dream.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2010, 01:15 AM   #284
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

The movie didn't need to explain the dreambox, there is a dreambox and that's all there needs to be. People didn't question why the LOST island did what it did, they questioned why we didn't get any answers to questions. Almost no one questions the dream boxes because there is no needed to, the movie isn't about the dream box, it's about the human mind.
It should at least make superficial sense. Having the dream box be this light, cheesy prop that hooks up to someone's wrist makes as much sense as using defibrillator pads on someone's shins or the bottoms of their feet.
Old July 26 2010, 01:21 AM   #285
RoJoHen
Awesome

Not if the dream box is injecting them with drugs. The wrist/forearm is exactly where it should be. It's like an IV.