RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,658
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 399
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Should the BBC do a series of specials with McGann and the Time War?
Briliant! Yes! 12 75.00%
Rubbish, Matt is my Doctor 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 14 2010, 11:38 PM   #1
starsuperion
Captain

What about Mc-8TH?

I am really on the side of that McGann's 8th doctor's movie should be shelved..

I know, I know, but come on... there is so much that could be done with the Time war era Doctor, with today's CGI and such..
why not just make that movie as a first in a series of direct to DVD or TV shows, and do a small mini series with McGann during the Time War..

sure, sure, Matt commands the air waves, but why not a series of specials starring McGann, with some writing by the best of the best of the series, and the return of Timothy Dalton..
starsuperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Re: What about Mc-8TH?

I say no, because they could never do justice on a tv budget (stilllesson a straight-to-DVD budget) to the wonder and magnificence of the Time War. Better to be something talked about in hushed tones and tantalizing hints of dialogue. Also because, like many fans, I believe the ninth Doctor fought the Time War - so if they were going to make something like this, they ought to get Eccleston back.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2010, 12:33 AM   #3
starsuperion
Captain

Andrew_Kearley wrote: View Post
I say no, because they could never do justice on a tv budget (stilllesson a straight-to-DVD budget) to the wonder and magnificence of the Time War. Better to be something talked about in hushed tones and tantalizing hints of dialogue. Also because, like many fans, I believe the ninth Doctor fought the Time War - so if they were going to make something like this, they ought to get Eccleston back.
I'll buy that eccleston should be in there (not that he'd come back, at least I do not think he would).. but I just think that the Time war from the doctor's perspective would give poor old McGann another go at actually playing the doc.. instead of one solitary movie.. as far as budget, who says it needs more then the original series gets.. I mean look at the end of time story, that was pretty cool.. and the doctor could do much of his stuff from rooms and ships, and planets while battles of daleks and Tardises rage in CGI shots...

it can be done.. if star wars the clone wars CGI cartoon can do some awesome effects on their budget, the doctor who time war dvd, or miniseries could also...
Old July 15 2010, 01:15 AM   #4
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

Won't happen.
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2010, 05:59 AM   #5
starsuperion
Captain

Old July 15 2010, 05:59 AM   #6
starsuperion
Captain

Captain Pike wrote: View Post
Won't happen.

I know but if the BBC did do it, and did it right, it would be awesome...
Old July 15 2010, 06:20 AM   #7
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

Agreed.
Old July 15 2010, 08:25 AM   #8
Meredith
Vice Admiral

I think they should bring McGann back for a 1/2 season Arc alongside Matt Smith. That would be cool
Old July 15 2010, 08:50 AM   #9
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

While I seriously doubt it'll ever happen (no matter how awesome it would be), I'm content with following The Eighth Doctor's adventures in the Big Finish audio plays.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Starkers
Admiral

No. Said it before, will say it again, a Time War story could never hope to live up to our expectations.

Plus, I mean our show is Doctor Who, a Time War series would be more like NuBSG. Where would the humour, where would the fun come from?

I have nothing against bringing McGann back for a multi Doctor story, but I just wouldn't want it to be a Time War story.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

How about a Big Finish audio series? No buget limitations, just the imagination of the listener.
Old July 15 2010, 09:39 AM   #12
Kibbin
Fleet Captain

Or maybe the time war simply happened to take place mainly in quarries and running up and down corridors?

I think if we were gonna get it, it would be during the RTD era, now we seem to have moved on and are content with a few name drops that I can see fading away as the series progresses.

Also put me down for Mcgann, Chris would only be needed for the regen at the end.
Old July 15 2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Starkers
Admiral

Captain Pike wrote: View Post
How about a Big Finish audio series? No buget limitations, just the imagination of the listener.
Good idea, I think it has to be that, or more snippets like we got in The End of Time.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2010, 12:39 PM   #14
starsuperion
Captain

I still want McGann to have his due.. he's still young enough to look great in some cameo's, what about him coming into the current series, and what with the Moff writing, they could do some universal changes which could reverse the time war...

or remember that episode of the trouble with tribbles? and the Deep Space nine episode that went back in time and melded the current series with the past footage?

here is a great plot idea..

What if Matt Smith's doctor ended up going back in time, to Skarro, right around the time that the 4th doctor does.. and using footage form the old classic series, the genesis of the Daleks, we see Matt and Paul on a 2 part story arc reversing the damage done by his counterpart, and thus the time war never happens, and thus freeing the time Lords from their death, and their eventual spiral into the abyss of hell..
McGann Redeems the Doctor from murdering his own people, and gives us back the coolest super race of beings in science fiction ever! it could be said that the 9h incarnation was the one who pulled the trigger for them all to burn, and maybe a slight hick-up in time-space gives that knowledge to McGann's Doctor, who then decides to take it upon himself to stop what started the war, which was an event that happened back in time during his 4th incarnation on Skarro ( I remember reading rumours of something like that already happening..) with sarah Jane smith..

Oh they could bring her back too for a cameo! Sarah's return to Skarro!
Old July 15 2010, 01:15 PM   #15
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Doctor Who works when it tells fun stories for the whole family about a brilliant and quirky alien who travels through time and space with his human friends. As soon as it starts telling stories for fans, stories about its own fictional universe, its own convoluted continuity, as soon as it starts taking itself too seriously, I'm out.