Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 12 2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Kirkman1987
Commodore

John Carpenter's The Thing.

I just watched The Thing this morning and fell in love with it. I saw the movie one other time, a year or so ago, but this time it really registered with me. I love the great alien effects, but the real tension is between the characters, which I is true of Most great horror films.

I like how logically the story unfolds, and it keeps you just as engaged in paranoia as the characters. I think the biggest scare is the blood jumping out of the casing.

Great Ending as well. Who was The Thing? I figure neither of them at that point, but the mystery is great note to end on. I think it manages to keep suspense to the last moment while still providing a sense of closure.

Anyone care to jump on the praise bandwagon?

Also, why are there not more films with Antarctic settings? Even before seeing this, I,ve always liked the isolation of such a setting, and the cold weather costumes and other trappings.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Re: John Carpenter's The Thing.

Great movie. One of Carpenter's best.

As for movies with Antarctic settings--Whiteout was supposed to be pretty bad. That's the only one that comes to mind.

Although there aren't many movies actually set in the Antarctic, there do seem to have been a number of films in the last twenty years that use bleak wintry wilderness as an alternative to, say, dark rainy cityscapes. I've started calling them film blanc.

In fact, Fargo was in many ways an anti-film noir. Everything was white instead of black; everything took place in the suburbs and on the highways; the protagonist was female, happily married, well-adjusted, and very pregnant instead of your usual alienated male loner-on-the-edge, etc.
Old July 12 2010, 09:13 PM   #3
davejames
Vice Admiral

There was a really good X-Files episode back in the day with the same kind of story, that might be worth tracking down.

But yeah, definitely agree about the Antarctic setting. It's probably my favorite horror movie setting of all time, and it was never used better than in this movie. The sense of isolation is palpable. For all intents and purposes, they might as well be on an alien planet.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Harvey
Admiral

The X-Files episode is called "Ice," and it's from the first season of the show.

Love The Thing. It's easily Carpenter's best movie, or at least one of his best.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2010, 10:18 PM   #5
Starkers
Admiral

Definitely one of Carpenter's best films. Great location, cast, score. Plus how many films have no female character, even if she isn't the love interest. Plus you gotta love that ending.

I finally got to see it on the big screen a year or so ago. Well worth the price of admission.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2010, 12:41 AM   #6
Vonstadt
Captain

One of my all time favorite scifi/horror movies. I saw in the theaters when i was young and it terrified the hell out of me!

The whole setting is wonderful and the monster is chilling and I loved the paranoid atmosphere.

I am a huge fan of the 50's Thing from another world too for different reasons (I love Howard Hawkes style of directing and the witty banter from his characters) In its own way it scared me too as a kid.

Something about the cold isolated enviroment has always been a favorite of mine too.

Now I feel the need to go pop in BOTH of those DvD's tonight. lol My wife is gonna kill me

Vons
Old July 13 2010, 01:06 AM   #7
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

I was really disappointed when I finally saw this last year, after all the hype. It just doesn't hold a candle next to the original.
Old July 13 2010, 03:17 AM   #8
Harvey
Admiral

I like the original (The Thing from Another World), but I still feel that the remake is an improvement on several grounds. For one, the thing actually looks alien, as opposed to the man in a suit featured in the original. For another, it drops the romantic subplot, which is gratuitous. Finally, it drops the evil, misguided scientist angle. These are all improvements.

Being produced in a different era, the ending of the remake is more cynical (in the original, most of the characters survive; in the remake, only two survive, and it is likely that they will soon die), though both films end with the thing more or less defeated.

The original does have a few notable scenes, however, which make it necessary viewing. The burning title card, replicated in the remake, is a very cool effect. The team fanning out and realizing that there is a saucer under the ice is an iconic moment (also replicated, in part, by the John Carpenter version). The scene where the thing bursts into the camp and is set on fire (the flames providing the set's only illumination) is brilliantly executed. Finally, and probably most famously, is the final bit of dialogue ("Keep watching the skies!").

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2010, 03:28 AM   #9
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
There was a really good X-Files episode back in the day with the same kind of story, that might be worth tracking down.

But yeah, definitely agree about the Antarctic setting. It's probably my favorite horror movie setting of all time, and it was never used better than in this movie. The sense of isolation is palpable. For all intents and purposes, they might as well be on an alien planet.
When I was in McMurdo back in the late '90's, the wait list for that particular videotape to borrow/rent it for the night was somewhere on the order of MONTHS.

Yes, definitely an awesome film.

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2010, 03:40 AM   #10
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Meh. Loved the special effects...I laughed my ass off at the wildness of the gory creature kills and transformations (and "you've gotta be fucking kidding me!" is one of the most hilarious lines of dialog ever because of its context in the movie), but I didn't care about any of the characters or the story. People talk about how great the atmosphere and paranoia are, but I just don't see it. Rented it with my friends after all the hype on the Internet got me psyched and we were all disappointed. We agreed that it was just another monster movie and doesn't do anything "The Terminator" and "Alien" don't do better. On a more positive note, I loved that X-Files episode "Ice" and am excited to see the Howard Hawks flick.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2010, 04:37 AM   #11
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Also, why are there not more films with Antarctic settings? Even before seeing this, I,ve always liked the isolation of such a setting, and the cold weather costumes and other trappings.
I'm still holding out for GDT's 'At the Mountains of Madness'.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2010, 05:36 AM   #12
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

The Thing is one of my favourite movies.
As far as the end goes, I think as well that neither of them is the Thing. In the commentary, Carpenter says more than once that the movie is about trust. At the end, both expect the other is the Thing, but neither is IMO, and that makes it more poignant .
Almost every question has been answered about who was the Thing when, and other mysteries in the movie over at the fan site outpost31.com's forum.
wildstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2010, 05:51 AM   #13
broberfett
Vice Admiral

There was a version shown on television that shows the dog running from the camp at the end.

"Se til helvete og kom dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje, det er en slags ting! Det imiterer en bikkje, det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, idioter!"

Last edited by broberfett; July 13 2010 at 06:04 AM.
broberfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2010, 06:34 AM   #14
broberfett
Vice Admiral

Here is the FAQ from IMDB that answers many questions you might have about the movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/faq
Old July 13 2010, 10:33 AM   #15
Starkers
Admiral

Interestingly the Thing was on ITV last night and I ended up watching bits of it!

I think what's great is that you never know who the Thing is. The bit with Nauls/Childs and Garry on the sofa is great because you just know one of them is the Thing...and then none of them is! Similarly the fact that Norris has a heart attack surely means he can't be the Thing but he is! Copied him perfectly, even down to a heart defect.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote