Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 30 2010, 08:28 AM   #91
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Doctor Who Schematics Thread

This is awesome...gonna take a while to go over all the locations. Just a note on the names of the ships, sort of a nitpicky thing, but why would the Time Lord's use human sounding names for their ship class classifications? I wouldn't mind seeing a few "out there" "alien" sound names for once. This is "Doctor Who" after all

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 12:44 PM   #92
starsuperion
Captain

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
This is awesome...gonna take a while to go over all the locations. Just a note on the names of the ships, sort of a nitpicky thing, but why would the Time Lord's use human sounding names for their ship class classifications? I wouldn't mind seeing a few "out there" "alien" sound names for once. This is "Doctor Who" after all

No no no, that is a completely valid point and critique.. I myself was thinking of maybe doing a series of names for those ships and basing them on old heroes of Gallifrey.. only I realized something..

most of their revered heroes were from the era of the Bowship, and space exploration...and the early days of time lord travels...

I could just make up some names, but here is the thing.. the Time Lord vocabulary is similar to that of the English as for words and terms of those words.. so what may sound Gibberish to us, in English would sound like Vanquisher (or translate into the meaning of the word).. and so on..

It's Not that I would not want to make my own names up, it is just that in the context of Doctor who, the names would be meaningless cause in our language the doctor would pronounce it as we know the word..

I could try and use ancient names that the Gallifreyans may have known for lesser gods and such, but the problem with that is realistically after the fall of the Pythia, and the expelling of them from Gallifrey, I can not see the Gallifreyans and Rassilon wanting to embrace any part of their mystical and irrational history..at least not on a fond level..
starsuperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 06:52 PM   #93
starsuperion
Captain

Here is a sneak peak of the up coming Rutan Fighter Pod Schematic! Hope you guys like, and thanks for viewing..
-A

Last edited by starsuperion; September 1 2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old September 1 2010, 12:37 PM   #94
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Fascinating design...

Old September 1 2010, 02:51 PM   #95
starsuperion
Captain

Fascinating design...
Thanks Admiral! It is based on a number of ideas, mainly the body shape being the most likely to mimic the style or the anthropology of the Rutan race, as they are basically electrically charged floating neon green glowing space-jellyfish..

Or more specifically:
In their natural forms, Rutans resemble large green jellyfish, glowing blobs of biomatter with long ropy tentacles. They are amphibious and can cling to sheer vertical surfaces, with considerable mobility out of the water despite their shape. Rutans can also generate lethal bioelectrical shocks, and seem to be able to absorb electrical energy directly for sustenance. It also seems as if their electrical energy capacity could allow them to fly or hover for periods of time..

so using that, and references from the doctor who episode "Horror of Fang Rock" with Tom Baker..

I decided a Rutan Pod fighter would have a similar shell in some respects.. and that their ship could siphon energy off other ship's shielding and use that as an advantage to disable an enemy.. through their ship tentacles..they would swarm a sontaran pod, and suck it dry then destroy it..also they would have forward laser batteries and a fluid filled cockpit..where the ship is controlled through a mental link provided by some discs that attach to their body..a schematic with that will be uploaded in detail to show you what I mean and will be included in the final work up of this ship..

Anyways, the tubes on the outer hull feed the ship's massive propulsion systems.. those rings on the side are what moves it through space.. I am thinking from ion energy, or maybe a unique form of sonic particle thrust..I haven't decided yet..I would imagine the Rutans were superior at sonic technology..

Last edited by starsuperion; September 1 2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old September 3 2010, 03:49 AM   #96
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

It looks like a good mesh of organic and mechanical materials which I like...be interested to see it colored.

Old September 3 2010, 10:09 PM   #97
starsuperion
Captain

It looks like a good mesh of organic and mechanical materials which I like...be interested to see it colored.
I always thought these ships would be a grayish green colour..maybe aquamarine..
Old September 3 2010, 10:20 PM   #98
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Have you thought about doing Dalek and Cybermen ships?

Although the Dalek saucer is pretty much the default New Series ship (taking a cue from Dalek Invasion of Earth), they've used a few other ships here and there. There was a website dedicated to Dalek ships a while ago, unfortunately it no longer exists

I could swear the Cybership design seen in "Pandorica opens" was a CG recreation of the cyndrical ships seen in the Invasion...
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2010, 10:32 PM   #99
starsuperion
Captain

Whofan wrote: View Post
Have you thought about doing Dalek and Cybermen ships?

Although the Dalek saucer is pretty much the default New Series ship (taking a cue from Dalek Invasion of Earth), they've used a few other ships here and there. There was a website dedicated to Dalek ships a while ago, unfortunately it no longer exists

I could swear the Cybership design seen in "Pandorica opens" was a CG recreation of the cyndrical ships seen in the Invasion...
Actually yes, after tackling the Gallifreyan Bowships, and the Rutans, my next project was going to be the Daleks saucers, crucible and a few other cool ships from their past..

I am also going to do the war tardis, and the cruciform, which is a magnificent Weapon!
Old September 5 2010, 02:35 AM   #100
starsuperion
Captain

I decided to revise the Rutan War pod design, and remove the tentacles..it was pointed out to me by a friend that the pod looked like a sperm with those hanging off the back..

anyhow, I decided it would be just better to go without those..more designs of the rutans and such are coming soon, and the Time lord compendium updates by tomorrow.. thanks for viewing!

Old September 8 2010, 06:26 AM   #101
starsuperion
Captain

I got quite a bit of fan requests recently for me to finish off the Bowships designs before continuing to the time lord compendium..

to that I say....

Let's Do it!

Also I got a few repeated requests to see the Avenger Class and Vanquisher class in a scale comparison..

so here it is from the side view and top view..

thanks for all the compliments..

Last edited by starsuperion; September 8 2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old September 8 2010, 06:03 PM   #102
Whofan
Fleet Captain

BTW Starsuperion have you heard of the Jade Pagoda? It's introduced in a few of the novels, it's pretty much a TARDIS escape pod.

It's seen on the cover here:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Sanctuary
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 02:14 PM   #103
starsuperion
Captain

Whofan wrote: View Post
BTW Starsuperion have you heard of the Jade Pagoda? It's introduced in a few of the novels, it's pretty much a TARDIS escape pod.

It's seen on the cover here:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Sanctuary
yeah I came across that a few times in my TARDIS research.. it is in my Type 40 designs.. I have a couple of huge and massive sized Tardis schematics which will also address the pagoda..
Old September 10 2010, 02:19 PM   #104
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Need more Compendium entires!

Old September 10 2010, 05:33 PM   #105
starsuperion
Captain

Need more Compendium entires!

coming soon...

By the way, I should have the dreadnought, Battle cruiser, and the Command cruiser up later today as well as the massive Gallifreyan Support ship..

Last edited by starsuperion; September 11 2010 at 03:42 AM.