Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Favorite Starfleet Uniform Design
Early "The Original Series" 9 4.33%
Mid-Late "The Original Series" 10 4.81%
Star Trek: The Motion Picture 7 3.37%
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan "Monster Maroons" 48 23.08%
Later Maroon Uniform (Earlier flashbacks in TNG) 1 0.48%
Early "The Next Generation" 4 1.92%
Mid-Late "The Next Generation" 19 9.13%
Early "Deep Space Nine" & "Voyager" 14 6.73%
Mid-Late "Deep Space Nine" and "First Contact" 64 30.77%
"Enterprise" 14 6.73%
Star Trek (2009) 13 6.25%
Other (Specify) 5 2.40%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 31 2010, 12:22 AM   #106
Blue Squadron
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Favorite Starfleet Uniform Design

I guess they were intended to be more like some kind of 24th Century padded flak jackets, worn over the standard black jumpsuit (at the time with branch colored shoulder yoke and gray undershirts).

From a physics point of view it probably doesn't make sense but I guess you could argue that it's some sort of ablative armour that absorbs and dissipates hits from energy weapons...? I guess maybe it would be the usual trade-off between full protection and flexibility and manoeuvrability. Equally, perhaps there are practical reasons why personal scale energy shields (like those from Dune) wouldn't work in the Trek universe - or maybe it's the fact that passive protective clothing cannot be detected by scans but active systems like shielding give off an energy signature that can be picked up by an enemy...?

As to the design and appearance - it's really VERY simple and I strongly urge you not to over-think this one: these are costumes from a TV show and the production staff just wanted to keep something of the Starfleet "corporate look" for these additional uniform elements (like the branch colored stripes on the non-standard uniform variants used in Voyager at around the same time).

Let's face it, in a time of tricorders and long-range scanners camouflage and concealment (at least as we currently understand it) is a pretty redundant concept.
Blue Squadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 02:01 AM   #107
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The original velour uniforms used in the first two years of TOS, followed by Theiss's uniforms for TNG.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2010, 11:15 PM   #108
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I liked the more practical uniform approach with "Enterprise", but they were just a bit too drab...

I used to like TWOK uniforms, but they're such an odd departure--no other ST uniforms conceived look like them. Also, what's with the button connector on the back? While the more formal design looks impressive next to TOS uniforms, they just don't seem practical enough as duty uniforms.

I voted FC. I like that style, and could see them adding pockets to the trousers to complete the look. You've gotta have pockets!
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2011, 02:06 PM   #109
Picard578
Ensign

Mid-Late "Deep Space Nine" and "First Contact". Quite militaristic, in line with Starfleet's primary duty - to defend Federation. Early DS9-era uniforms are second, TOS uniforms being third, and 29th century Starfleet uniforms 4th. Section 31 uniforms are 5th (Section 31 is still part of Starfleet, and uniform is nice, but too much leather. If they wanted leather, they would better use jackets). Enterprise uniforms are close 6 th. Classic TNG era uniforms are worst ones, and Captain Picard seem to agree with me, althought for different reasons.

EDIT: Tos uniforms 2266 model.
Picard578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2011, 03:06 PM   #110
PianoWizzy
Commodore

Location: PianoWizzy is working in the science research department.
View PianoWizzy's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to PianoWizzy Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PianoWizzy Send a message via Yahoo to PianoWizzy

You've left out Generations' uniform... not a huge difference from late TNG but I just liked them more. Also really liked mid-late TOS and, subsequently, of course, the 2009 movie uniforms [man those look comfortable]. The Voyager uniforms also look very comfortable...
Old February 14 2011, 03:38 PM   #111
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^Generations used a mixture of the TNG seasons 3-7 uniforms and the DS9/Voyager ones. Unless you're referring to the concept design unforms which were abandoned at the last minute, but can be seen on the action figures.
Old February 14 2011, 05:20 PM   #112
PianoWizzy
Commodore

Location: PianoWizzy is working in the science research department.
View PianoWizzy's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to PianoWizzy Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PianoWizzy Send a message via Yahoo to PianoWizzy

Hmmm, no, I think I liked the ones that were in the movie. Although honestly why I haven't a clue.
Old February 14 2011, 05:20 PM   #113
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

TWOK uniforms, with the Enterprise jumpsuits being a close second.
Old February 14 2011, 06:09 PM   #114
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

my favorite is Picard's jacket as seen in Season 5(?)
Old February 14 2011, 06:20 PM   #115
Sheepwash
Ensign

The VOY uniforms
Sheepwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2011, 08:37 PM   #116
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

My favorite Trek uniform doesn't exist.

If it did exist, it would be the TMP uniforms with the following changes.
- Two pieces (separate pants and shirt)
- TOS color scheme, but a little more “vivid”.
- Short sleeved
- Rank insignia on the epaulettes like Kirks short sleeve variant.

I'd also retain Kirk's short sleeve variant as the "Captain's uniform", as well as his Admiral's uniform for whenever Admirals are on the show.
Old February 14 2011, 08:43 PM   #117
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

VOY's, just think they look the coolest.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2011, 02:46 AM   #118
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

I have always been a fan of the uniforms from ST2-ST6.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2011, 01:11 PM   #119
jedimaster
Ensign

1st: FC/Late DS9 (and the matching dress uni) they were a good balance between the futuristic style we came to expect and a more military look.
2nd: ENT, great balance between current military and the future, as well as the most practical.
3rd: TWoK Classical military styling, good for formal functions but not everyday.

In response to comments on the uniforms seen on AR-558, the novels expand on these calling them Surface Operations Blacks (convenient acronym, there). Elias Vaughn also mention that they have energy and shrapnel dispersal layers and that the coloured yoke has been removed for exactly the reason stated earlier, to prevent a units command officers being picked off.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2011, 01:58 PM   #120
Terror Grin
Captain

One of the few things I liked about the Abrams movie was the updated TOS uniforms.