Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old July 21 2010, 05:49 PM   #1
James Wright
Commodore

Refit Enterprise Torpedo bay - Launcher

Does anyone know how many decks the torpedo bay and launchers take up?
Being at the base of the connecting dorsal, if the launchers and bays were removed what would the height of the dorsal section be?
Old July 21 2010, 06:46 PM   #2
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Refit Enterprise Torpedo bay - Launcher

At least two decks, the launcher deck and above, the magazine. Given that the neck isn't very wide above the launcher, the magazine might be two decks, for a total of three.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2010, 07:24 PM   #3
sojourner
Admiral

Try here for some deckplans:
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...ints-main2.php

As to the second question, um, the same height? they would just use the area for something else?
Old July 21 2010, 08:22 PM   #4
James Wright
Commodore

Remember the Constitution class variant from the DS9 tech manual? I'm working on a variation without the torpedo bays, launchers and torpedo exhaust located on the dorsal, thus making the dorsal shorter.
Old July 23 2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Check out this thread too: http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=92307&page=28

I think that there is a problem fitting two torpedo launchers as seen in TWoK in the confined space so you either have to assume there is only one launcher or make the area much smaller. I think two decks is correct, one where the torpedoes are stored and armed and one below where they are loaded into the luanchers.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Omega_Glory
Commodore

In Trek VI the Enterprise had 96 torpedos in the magazine. You would need enough space to store them safely plus a couple of decks for the launcher assembly.
Omega_Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2010, 02:42 AM   #7
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

The thing I don't get about the Refit Enterprise and the TOS Enterprise is the repositioning of the torpedo tube in the neck. Having it in the saucer is way more practical -- in the event of a saucer seperation/emergency evacuation, you'd still have phasers and torpedoes. With the Refit Enterprise you just have phasers, and if TMP was right, the phasers derive their power off the warp-engines which would give you NO weapons.

In at least one episode of Star Trek: TOS, Captain Kirk made a reference to Torpedo-Tubes 2 and 6, which indicates the vessel should have six torpedo tubes.
CuttingEdge100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Forbin
Admiral

There's a pretty definitive line right above the launcher fairing. I think you're safe cutting it off right there. The kitbashing police won't come for ya.
Forbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2010, 03:45 PM   #9
Ablative_Oberth
Lieutenant Commander

The "neck" launcher could be the torpedo prep and arming area... One prep system feeding two launch ports.

Prepped torps could be carried above to a launcher below the bridge, or in the saucer rim, or where the lower dome is located... use your imagination. Don't limit yourself to "canon" because then you limit yourself. This is not a religion.

I took the warp-power thing to mean that the phasers derived most of their power from the warp core in normal operation, and the bypass they rigged already existed it was just non-functional. A bypass that allows them to switch to the impulse engines or batteries as needed.
Ablative_Oberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2010, 04:10 PM   #10
James Wright
Commodore

CuttingEdge100 wrote: View Post
The thing I don't get about the Refit Enterprise and the TOS Enterprise is the repositioning of the torpedo tube in the neck. Having it in the saucer is way more practical -- in the event of a saucer seperation/emergency evacuation, you'd still have phasers and torpedoes. With the Refit Enterprise you just have phasers, and if TMP was right, the phasers derive their power off the warp-engines which would give you NO weapons.

In at least one episode of Star Trek: TOS, Captain Kirk made a reference to Torpedo-Tubes 2 and 6, which indicates the vessel should have six torpedo tubes.
There may still be a torpedo bay and launcher located in the saucer of the refit Enterprise, we just never heard of or saw it.
Old July 25 2010, 04:28 PM   #11
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I think there's room for extra torpedo launchers on the TMP Enterprise in the housing above the lower sensor dome, roughly where they launched from in TOS. Those bits to the sides may even be port and starboard launchers.

Kinda hard to explain why they never got used, though.
Old July 25 2010, 04:59 PM   #12
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

If we go by there being 2 forward torpedo bays, then we can assume that they are a part of the same deck, like KingDaniel said, there is likely to be room for extra launchers should the need arise, perhaps during a war, if the torpedo bays are destroyed, then maybe redundant areas can be converted into emergency Torpedo Bays
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2010, 06:41 PM   #13
Ablative_Oberth
Lieutenant Commander

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I think there's room for extra torpedo launchers on the TMP Enterprise in the housing above the lower sensor dome, roughly where they launched from in TOS. Those bits to the sides may even be port and starboard launchers.

Kinda hard to explain why they never got used, though.

The "bay" on the neck serves as a loading bay, prep area and final checkout point for the weapons.

Also considering the Enterprise was meant to boldly go and discover new and interesting stuff this "expanded" launch bay could be where they prepped mulit-mission probes, remote sensory satellites and whatever else they might need for a mission.

In times of war however, those things were left home and the probe storage was handed over to weapons storage.

As for the proposed upper launchers... To be honest we never got to see a Connie (refit or otherwise) really open a can of full-scale whoop-ass on a target.... multiple torp launches and phaser beam deployments.

We only ever got to see the Galaxy Class Enterprise-D open up with multiple banks in Best Of Both Worlds.... I'm assuming the Connie could do the same thing.
Old July 25 2010, 07:28 PM   #14
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Ablative_Oberth wrote: View Post
As for the proposed upper launchers... To be honest we never got to see a Connie (refit or otherwise) really open a can of full-scale whoop-ass on a target.... multiple torp launches and phaser beam deployments.

We only ever got to see the Galaxy Class Enterprise-D open up with multiple banks in Best Of Both Worlds.... I'm assuming the Connie could do the same thing.
Well we did see the Connie-Class Enterprise open up a can of whoop-ass on the Reliant in TWOK, however i'm with you on us not seeing a full scale whoop-ass

It stands to reason that the Connie Class has the ability to fire phasers from a 360 degree targetting radius (similar to what we saw in BOBW, where the Ent-D fired phasers in a circular pattern at the Borg Cube)

As for Torpedos, well we know they have a standalone navigation system and are programmed to adjust to intercept if the target makes corrections to avoid
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2010, 08:16 PM   #15
Ablative_Oberth
Lieutenant Commander

I always got the impression that Kirk was holding back on the Reliant and that he could have destroyed the Reliant in the nebula if he had been so inclined... After all they took off a nacelle *chop* no problem.

Then again the strain of that limited "ass-kicking" may have been what stressed the engines to the breaking point...

madmatthias wrote: View Post
Ablative_Oberth wrote: View Post

Well we did see the Connie-Class Enterprise open up a can of whoop-ass on the Reliant in TWOK, however i'm with you on us not seeing a full scale whoop-ass

It stands to reason that the Connie Class has the ability to fire phasers from a 360 degree targetting radius (similar to what we saw in BOBW, where the Ent-D fired phasers in a circular pattern at the Borg Cube)

As for Torpedos, well we know they have a standalone navigation system and are programmed to adjust to intercept if the target makes corrections to avoid