Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old October 4 2010, 10:25 PM   #1
JamesSmith
Lieutenant Commander

People Screams then cut to Ships

I was watching Star Trek II, Insurrection, TNG season 4, season 6, DS9 season 2 and Voyager season 1. I watched the scenes where people screamed then cut to the hero ships (and a station and a planet). Here's the scenes:
  • Star Trek II - Kirk yells his enemy's name at his communicator, then cut to the planet Regula, Kirk's yell is heard again.
  • TNG - The Mind's Eye - Geordi getting torture and he screams, then cut to the Enterprise-D at warp.
  • TNG - Timescape - Picard experiencing temporal narcosis and cries out several times and Troi calling Geordi for emergency beamout, then cut to the Enterprise-D and the Runabout
  • DS9 - Neccesary Evil - Rom makes his shriek then pan to Quark smiling, then cut to DS9.
  • VOY - Caretaker - Harry Kim screams as the needle pierces him then fade to the Voyager.
  • Insurrection - Ad'har Ru'afo shrieks when the Collector is deactivated, then to the Collector on the viewscreen of bridge of Ru'afo's ship.
Old October 5 2010, 01:10 AM   #2
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: People Screams then cut to Ships

And?
Old October 5 2010, 04:01 AM   #3
Destructor
Commodore

Can you cut these together and stick `em on YouTube?
Old October 5 2010, 05:36 PM   #4
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

In space, no one can hear you scream.
Old October 5 2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Too Much Fun
Commodore

It's a comedy staple to cut to a shot of a place after someone screams to imply it's so loud that many people over a very large area can hear it. One of the best examples is in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". In "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" (and most of the moments mentioned in this thread, aside from one on DS9), I believe it was meant to be a serious moment, but now that so many people have found the Khan moment incredibly funny, it's become a beloved comedic convention.

Last edited by Too Much Fun; October 5 2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old October 5 2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
And?
I'm w/ you.
Old October 6 2010, 02:10 AM   #7
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

In my experiences, JamesSmith has a tendency to avoid... complete statements.
Old October 6 2010, 02:49 AM   #8
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
It's a comedy staple to cut to a shot of a place after someone screams to imply it's so loud that many people over a very large area can hear it. One of the best examples is in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". In "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" (and most of the moments mentioned in this thread, aside from one on DS9), I believe it was meant to be a serious moment, but now that so many people have found the Khan moment incredibly funny, it's become a beloved comedic convention.
Actually, no, it's about the drastic cut from loud to silent, and its purpose is not comic relief. It's supposed to enhance the impact on the viewer.

That said, Kirk's "Khaaaan" doesn't fall in the same category as, for example, Geordi's scream in "The Mind's Eye" or Rua'fo's scream in "Insurrection."
Old October 6 2010, 02:52 AM   #9
The Wormhole
Admiral

I remember a Seinfeld episode, which parodied the scene in TWOK. In the episode, George got roped into a charity foundation by his dead fiancee's parents because they were inspired by something Jerry said, which was in fact a quote from TWOK. While discussing the matter later on, George snorts "The Wrath of Khan." Jerry then says "it was the best Star Trek movie." George, frustrated, screams out "KHAN!!!"
Old October 6 2010, 03:10 AM   #10
billcosby
Commodore

Would Trek still be enjoyable if every scene of a ship in space was preceded by a shot of someone screaming?

It was be called, "Scream Trek." It would either be awesome / terrible.

Old October 6 2010, 03:39 AM   #11
Too Much Fun
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I remember a Seinfeld episode, which parodied the scene in TWOK. In the episode, George got roped into a charity foundation by his dead fiancee's parents because they were inspired by something Jerry said, which was in fact a quote from TWOK. While discussing the matter later on, George snorts "The Wrath of Khan." Jerry then says "it was the best Star Trek movie." George, frustrated, screams out "KHAN!!!"
Yeah, that's another one I was thinking of as an example of how the screaming to the sky thing started off as a serious thing on Star Trek but has become popular for comedy. That same episode has Elaine yelling,"KHAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!" in frustration later on too. The camera spins as she screams to the ceiling. "The Simpsons" has done stuff like that several times too.
Old October 6 2010, 04:01 AM   #12
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Kirk's shouting "Khan!" is hardly an original movie moment - like so much of what Meyer did, it's really a riff on a scene familiar from many earlier movies. One of the best known - only a few years before TWOK, too, and an obvious source for that Trek scene - is the "horsehead" scene in the original "Godfather" (don't watch this if you're squeamish about movie blood or make-believe violence to animals):

That one was parodied in a number of 80s movies besides Trek, such as the "Home Alone" flicks.
Old October 6 2010, 04:08 AM   #13
The Wormhole
Admiral

There was also Robot Chicken, which did a skit in which TWOK was adapted as an opera. In it, an opera singer sings "KHAN!!!" very loudly.
Old October 6 2010, 05:46 AM   #14
Sibo191
Lieutenant

sojourner wrote: View Post
And?
And he was just sharing. It's not necessary to act like the resident Star Trek Snob.
Old October 6 2010, 07:01 AM   #15
Tiberius
Commodore

Well of course they're going to cut away. What do you expect them to do? keep filming while the character cries for ten minutes, or maybe they just get up and walk off?
Closed Thread