Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Founders Day"
5 Carters - Excellent 20 54.05%
4 Carters - Above Average 15 40.54%
2 Carters - Average 1 2.70%
2 Carters - Below Average 1 2.70%
1 Carter - Poor (Please kill off Fargo) 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 10 2010, 03:24 AM   #1
Tom
Rear Admiral

Eureka – Founders Day (4x01) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Grade and discuss Eureka's 4th season premiere episode "Founders Day".

(btw, sorry about the two 2's in the poll, I don't see where you can edit the poll? )

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2010, 03:30 AM   #2
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: Eureka – Founders Day (4x01) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

I enjoyed this episode and like how they shook things up for this season going forward. Weird hearing James Callis without his British accent.

Old July 10 2010, 04:05 AM   #3
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I really liked this season opener, it is rare that they change things so much about a show after a time travel escapade, that was really unique, and nice to see, very bold. It will be interesting to see how the guy from 1947 deals with 2010. I also wonder what other changes major or minor we'll see later on.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2010, 04:10 AM   #4
Tom
Rear Admiral

Watching the repeat I noticed in the begiining that all the store fronts were closed, for rent or have going out of buisness sales, not sure how they were when they returned from 1947, have to watch that part again.

Old July 10 2010, 04:21 AM   #5
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Oh, also, I guess we are to assume the kid did do that bridgy thing on purpose cause he knew it would make his life, and possibly others, better. However, Jojo don't appear to be having a better life.

Old July 10 2010, 04:24 AM   #6
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Well, it looks like 2010 is just not Eureka's year. First they have time-storms, then they have... another time thingy, and now the whole show has gone upside-downy. If Carter ever gets his memory restored, that means he'll have seen three distinct versions of the year. Henry might've seen a fourth. It's been a while since I saw the season one finale, so I don't remember if he mentioned how long it was after Kim died before he went back in time and (almost) saved her.

The premise was fun, and I wanted to read Bear's blog about this episode as soon as I heard the 40s-style opening credits arrangement. Some of the regular science was a little screwy (I'm fairly sure defibrillation doesn't work that way, but they did have Allison doing the new CPR procedure that was rolled out after it was found that the mouth-to-mouth doesn't help and you get more air into the body just doing the chest compressions. And I honestly just don't want to look up if wet magnesium actually burns hotter than dry, but that seems... suspicious), though there was one bit of science I quite liked, even if I'm fairly sure it was unintentional. Dr. Grant and his amazing wandering accent mentioned that it was easier than you'd think to launch a satellite ten years before Sputnik without anyone knowing. In point of fact, the U.S. could've put an object in orbit before Sputnik was launched, and nearly did so more than once. TPTB were nervous about the implications of launching an object into space, though, so they weighted the nose cones of their test rockets so none of them would actually achieve orbit.

Of course, there's a bit of difference between putting a lunchbox in LEO and having a solar relay in a geostationary orbit, but it's the thought that counts.

I was more than a little surprised that the Fargo-As-Terminator bit was actually in the episode. I thought that was just one of those fun bits they do for commercials, like the Mr. Rogers riff.
Old July 10 2010, 04:27 AM   #7
Brent
Admiral

I don't watch Eureka for the science, and would never try to make any sense of it whatsoever, I don't care if it is absolutely wrong science, I just watch it for the wacky SCIFI fun.

Old July 10 2010, 04:32 AM   #8
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Well, yeah, I'm not talking about the time-travelling solar flares. I won't even try with that sort of thing. But you'd think they could get the real stuff right.
Old July 10 2010, 04:35 AM   #9
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

David cgc wrote: View Post
I was more than a little surprised that the Fargo-As-Terminator bit was actually in the episode. I thought that was just one of those fun bits they do for commercials, like the Mr. Rogers riff.
If he wanted to convince Jo that was real, he'd have to explain how he still had his glasses.

I wonder if Nathan could still be alive in this timeline?
Old July 10 2010, 04:40 AM   #10
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

I remember watching last season's finale, and distinctly don't remember the breakup hologram. Did I miss something (a webisode or something)?

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2010, 05:06 AM   #11
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

That's because it was a new scene set in the time period between last season's finale and this season's opener.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2010, 08:01 AM   #12
Non Sync
Captain

David cgc wrote: View Post
...Some of the regular science was a little screwy (I'm fairly sure fibrillation doesn't work that way, but they did have Allison doing the new CPR procedure that was rolled out after it was found that the mouth-to-mouth doesn't help and you get more air into the body just doing the chest compressions...
Chest compressions for CPR wasn't introduced until the late 50's. The two methods of the time were either moving the arms above the victim's head or having them on their front pressing their back and moving their arms.

De-fibrillation was first demonstrated in 1947 (same year as the episode) but was only done internally until the mid 50's.
Old July 10 2010, 08:17 AM   #13
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Wow, I didn't relize it was back already. I'll have to check it out tomorrow when I'm off work.

It's weird seeing someone other than myself starting these threads.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2010, 10:54 AM   #14
Pingfah
Admiral

That was a quality episode, they did a really good job on the 40s Eureka, and James Callis showed once again what a versatile voice he has. I look forward to this season.
Old July 10 2010, 12:11 PM   #15
BigFoot
Admiral

Tess is back, yay!
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote