A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 11 2010, 03:13 PM   #31
Forbin
Admiral

Re: more unnoticed things

That was Kang, not Kor! And I not only noticed that, I capped it! It's my favorite printed blooper.

A plasma conduit turns into a spitoon and back between scenes:

I also love the actual ashtray by the turbolift door!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2010, 09:53 PM   #32
scotpens
Vice Admiral

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
. . . Kirk's feet are, naturally enough, down below the bottom of the frame most of the time, and when they are in frame, they are moving pretty quickly. So it's hard to find a good, clear shot. But, indeed, you can make out the laces of his stunt/wrestler's boots in the “Tomorrow Is Yesterday” fight scene.
In-universe explanation: Those are actually standard Starfleet-issue fighting boots. They're worn in situations where there's a significant chance of a physical altercation taking place. Of course, in TOS, that means just about anywhere, any time!
Forbin wrote: View Post

So they DO still smoke in the 23rd century!
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2010, 10:07 PM   #33
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

scotpens wrote: View Post
So they DO still smoke in the 23rd century!
Why else would they need those no smoking signs?
Old July 12 2010, 06:20 AM   #34
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
A beaker full of death wrote: View Post

Anyone ever notice the lace-up boots Kirk wore in Arena?
I don't recall ever noticing them back when the show was on the air, but they were pretty easy to spot in screencaps. They look like the same kind of boots that boxers used to wear in the ring at that time and earlier (wrestlers, too.) I think you might be able to see him wearing the same boots in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" in the scene with Kirk fighting the Air Force security officers in the film archive room; can't check that right now, however, since TrekCore got hacked the other day and their screencap libraries are still locked down.
Kirk's feet are, naturally enough, down below the bottom of the frame most of the time, and when they are in frame, they are moving pretty quickly. So it's hard to find a good, clear shot. But, indeed, you can make out the laces of his stunt/wrestler's boots in the "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" fight scene:

The very shot I had in mind. There is one place earlier in the scene where Kirk lays a flying cross-body block on two of his adversaries, and it looks there as if he's got his regulation heeled Starfleet boots on.
Old July 12 2010, 12:13 PM   #35
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

I don't recall ever noticing them back when the show was on the air, but they were pretty easy to spot in screencaps. They look like the same kind of boots that boxers used to wear in the ring at that time and earlier (wrestlers, too.) I think you might be able to see him wearing the same boots in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" in the scene with Kirk fighting the Air Force security officers in the film archive room; can't check that right now, however, since TrekCore got hacked the other day and their screencap libraries are still locked down.
Kirk's feet are, naturally enough, down below the bottom of the frame most of the time, and when they are in frame, they are moving pretty quickly. So it's hard to find a good, clear shot. But, indeed, you can make out the laces of his stunt/wrestler's boots in the "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" fight scene:

The very shot I had in mind. There is one place earlier in the scene where Kirk lays a flying cross-body block on two of his adversaries, and it looks there as if he's got his regulation heeled Starfleet boots on.
Yes. It looks like in many of the "foot-visible" shots, Shatner is wearing the regular boots. But in a couple other shots, you can see laces. So it would appear to jump back and forth between the two different pairs.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2010, 12:36 PM   #36
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

That was Kang, not Kor! And I not only noticed that, I capped it! It's my favorite printed blooper.

A plasma conduit turns into a spitoon and back between scenes:

How could I get kor and Kang wrong thanks for pointing that out lol never noticed the sixty,s ashtray funny as fook

They don,t make them Connies like they used to lol also I noticed when kirk stops Chekov from killing Kang,s wife kirk gets the brown make up on his hands and spreads it over the wall after knocking chekov out . Them unscene things love to notice them . ?
Old July 12 2010, 04:07 PM   #37
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
I noticed when kirk stops Chekov from killing Kang,s wife
Killing? That wasn't what Chekov was about to do.
Old July 12 2010, 04:24 PM   #38
Tan Ru
Captain

I think we just found the next pic for the caption contest.

The captions are gonna get real dirty real fast me thinks...
Old July 12 2010, 04:52 PM   #39
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Anyone ever notice the lace-up boots Kirk wore in Arena?

I never noticed those before. Nice catch!

The idea for using the zip-up heeled leather soled boots to begin with must have been an expansion on military shoes, low quarters, that are worn with USAF dress blue uniforms. Commonly worn in an office setting. They don't have any tread on them.

But in the field, camouflage uniforms are donned with your typical lace up boots having hearty treads on them. That's something I always noticed about Star Trek--no change of footwear on away missions. How can they expect to properly tackle the outdoors with leather soled shoes having no tread? I'm not surprised they switched to lace-up boots for Kirk. They must have some kind of rubberized soles on them, or at least something to provide traction.

^The above scene with Kirk and Miramanee - forever immortalizing the damn fly that landed on Shatner's face.
Yeah, I remember that one. I went back to check it out (you'll find it at 33:40 in the episode). It took some good control for Shatner not to swat the thing away.

Btw, about his sideburns, it makes logical sense for them to be filled out. He was down there on the planet for a few weeks by that point. Of course, we have to assume they had some means for him to shave... which actually doesn't make sense, because most pure American Indian tribe men don't grow facial hair. As to why, that's a whole other subject (some speculate ancestors of an Asian migration from long ago).
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2010, 05:09 PM   #40
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Btw, about his sideburns, it makes logical sense for them to be filled out. He was down there on the planet for a few weeks by that point. Of course, we have to assume they had some means for him to shave... which actually doesn't make sense, because most pure American Indian tribe men don't grow facial hair.
They had metal blades. Kirok was even cut with one. It’s not too much of a stretch to imagine they had something that could be used for shaving, and Kirok using it in order to look more like everybody else. I think it would have made for less compelling television if “Behold a god who bleeds!” came after he nicked himself shaving, so it was probably a good decision to go with the fight scene instead of the shaving scene.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2010, 06:13 PM   #41
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Gary7 wrote: View Post
...Of course, we have to assume they had some means for him to shave... which actually doesn't make sense, because most pure American Indian tribe men don't grow facial hair. As to why, that's a whole other subject (some speculate ancestors of an Asian migration from long ago).
Why speculate? It's not as if they're a long-lost population that died out centuries ago. Ask any living person of American Indian ancestry. I'm sure it varies by culture. They do have less body hair than other ethnicities, but they do shave.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2010, 10:14 PM   #42
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Sure they had metal blades... but based on ethnic characteristics, they wouldn't even think about shaving. Why would Kirk, who can't remember much of his past anyway.

I only brought it up, because of how they paid attention to the detail of his sideburns, and "added" to them. I guess they left it up to our imagination for the rest of his facial hair, somehow being shaved.

Old July 12 2010, 11:16 PM   #43
Gary7
Rear Admiral

The main view screen.

It is not a window. It is a display screen that can show the outside from a variety of directions using exterior cameras (fore, aft, port, starboard).

So, why is it that when you have these ultra bright glaring effects going on where everyone is trying to shield their eyes, that they just don't dim the display? I'm sure with all of that advanced technology, they'd be able to adjust the contrast/brightness of that view screen.
Old July 13 2010, 01:04 AM   #44
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

^ How often do you think to adjust the backlight of your monitor -- especially from a momentary glare?
Of course, Bermaga thought it was a window...
Old July 13 2010, 02:37 AM   #45
Gary7
Rear Admiral

^ How often do you think to adjust the backlight of your monitor -- especially from a momentary glare?
Of course, Bermaga thought it was a window...
Well, you'd figure that the computer systems would auto-dim displays so that they don't blind the crew. Heh, I didn't know that... That Bergman and Braga thought it was a window on TNG. Hilarious!

Speaking of "unnoticed things"... what really came as a surprise in the first remastering of the TOS episodes was seeing all of those previously cut scenes. I never owned the VHS tapes, so I just watched the reruns periodically. Having seen the episodes many times before this, the previously edited parts added back in felt prominently "new". And a nice surprise (having these old episodes have momentary fresh feeling).

Anyway, I have the DVD set and watched it through a few times over the past couple of years. Lately, I've been making my way back again watching the remastered HD ones with new special effects. Once again, I'm noticing scenes that look unfamiliar to me. Does anyone know if more "deleted" scenes were added back in, or... is the running time of the episodes exactly the same between the DVD and HD sets?