RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,572
Members: 25,809
Currently online: 559
Newest member: shalhekhaeat

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old July 21 2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Pilot Ace
Captain

Knights in Sci-Fi?

Hello all,

I'm looking for some recommendations for science fiction with a heavy focus on Arthurian/Fantasy-esque knights in a working sci-fi world. Novels, television, movies, comics, et cetera.

I'm not a fan of Star Wars and their Jedi Knights, but some notable examples of the type of thing I'm looking for is The Rangers/Marcus from Babylon 5 or the Knights of the Round/Suzaku from Code Geass. If anything else jumps to mind I'll drop it in.

I'd prefer if the Knight-esque characters/organization were the protagonists instead of secondary like Marcus or antagonists like Suzaku. Really though, anything with a lot of participation by that element would be welcome.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: Knights in Sci-Fi?

Try Camelot 3000.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Camelot 3000 is great (and would make an amazing movie), but you should also check out The High Crusade by Poul Anderson.
Old July 21 2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Camelot 3000 is great (and would make an amazing movie), but you should also check out The High Crusade by Poul Anderson.
I like Camelot 3000 too much to ever want to see it made into a movie. Unless it gets an A-List writer and director who 'gets it,' I fear it would be mangled beyond recognition.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper

Last edited by Vendiklaus; July 22 2010 at 11:09 AM.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I like Camelot 3000 to much to ever want to see it made into a movie. Unless it gets an A-List writer and director who 'gets it,' I fear it would be mangled beyond recognition.

Perhaps. But even if the movie disappointed, hundreds of thousands more people would read the original graphic novel because the movie was made. And that would be a good thing.

That's the great thing about movie versions. Even when they're bad, they're fantastic advertising for the original books!

By coincidence, I was actually talking to Mike Barr about this at Shore Leave. No surprise, he thought it would make a great movie, too!

Last edited by Greg Cox; July 21 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2010, 08:48 PM   #6
captcalhoun
Admiral

Doctor Who: Battlefield. features Arthurian knights travelling from a parallel Earth to our Earth in the near future and clashing with the Seventh Doctor.

Morgaine and Mordred are the villains.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2010, 09:00 PM   #7
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Knight Life by Peter David is very Arthurian.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2010, 01:52 AM   #8
Hyperspace05
Commodore

One of the characters in Dan Simmons' Hyperion novel can be seen as a knight-ish figure. (and like all characters in the novel he is on a quest) Col. Kassad is a member of FORCE, a military organization that has adopted the "new bushido code", which has many chivalristic tendencies. (protecting innocents in battle, etc)
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2010, 02:01 AM   #9
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

It's not exactly sci-fi, but The Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher feature fantasy elements likes wizards, knights and such in a modern setting. The graphic novels are pretty decent too.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2010, 02:02 AM   #10
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

It's just a longish short story, but Roger Zelazny's "The Last Defender of Camelot" brings Lancelot into the modern era.
Old July 22 2010, 03:04 AM   #11
Servo
Rear Admiral

Not really heavily influenced, but there's an episode of Primeval where a knight is hunting a dragon, and he ends up travelling through an anomaly into the present day.
"As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?" - Ollie, The Mist
Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2010, 03:40 AM   #12
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

The High Crusade by Poul Anderson. Very entertaining. What happens when knights board a spaceship?
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2010, 03:52 AM   #13
Buck Rogers
Captain

Steven Lawhead's Pendragon Saga,along with Grail,and Hood have Knights in them for good measure.

I'm currently reading Andy McDermont's Excaliber,and Dr.Wilde is a female Indianna Jones that trying to find the pieces of both Excaliber,and Caliburn the swords of King Arthur.

I also have a copy of Camelot 3000,and thoroughly enjoyed it.

That's my take.

Signed

Buck Rogers
Buck Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2010, 03:45 PM   #14
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Not Arthurian but The Warlock In Spite Of Himself is about a society of actual medieval knights, barons and witches-set on another world. There are elves, dwarves, etc-even Puck makes an appearance. The hero is a starship- flying explorer who gets caught up in this society. Its by Christopher Staffesh, and its a fun read.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2010, 05:32 PM   #15
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

That's just the first book. There's a whole Warlock series.