Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 26 2011, 12:35 AM   #451
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
He shoots, he swings (ie new pics of the webslinger webswinging):

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73500
I get an "error connect fail" message.
They have pills for that now.

^Fair enough. If Sony really wanted to produce a shit all product then why bother hiring Marc Webb? They retained James Vanderbilt who was going to write Spider-Man 4. They could have cast way lesser quality actors than they have.
Well, true. Sony is probably trying to make a quality product I'm just not confident in how motivated they are to do so. They know that a)they have to produce a movie every couple years to retain the rights. B)so long as the movie isn't terrible (and not even S-M3 terrible, more like Superman 3 terrible) people will pay to see it.

What drive do they have to put out good product? Wolverine was phoned in (for the same reasons, they have to put out something to keep the rights to the X-Men franchise) and pretty universally disliked but they're still puhsing on with that franchise.

Sort of like EA and having the NFL rights. They're not motivated to produce a great Madden/NFL game because they're the only game in town. What incentive do they have to put out quality product? Especially if people will buy it no matter what.

Sony may be trying here but I feel they're only doing it to keep the bankable rights to Spider-man and so long as they don't go terrible people will keep seeing it.

The Rami movies were... okay, excluding the abysmal #3 but considering how Marvel was able to make the otherwise forgetable Iron-Man an interesting movie I'd be curious to see what Marvel would do with one of their more key properties, Spider-man, in a movie if they had control again.

Chances are good I'll go see this Spider-man movie but so far nothing I'm seeing is impressing me or filling me with confidence and I don't entirely trust a studio that's likely only making a movie for the sake of being able to keep making them. (Rather than having more creative or artistic motivations.)
Old January 26 2011, 12:45 AM   #452
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

What drive do they want to have to make a quality product? Money. I'm willing to give this a chance. What I have seen and read right so far makes me think this will be a good movie. I will find out if it actually is next summer

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 01:25 AM   #453
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

These two are my favorite due to their likeness to classic Spidey swing poses.

Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 03:10 AM   #454
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I'm really excited for this. One of the key reasons why is that it's clear they're making a conscious effort to give us a different feel than Raimi, which I like... because honestly after the first Raimi film I wasn't feeling it.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 03:40 AM   #455
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

^Really? I thought the second one was the best myself.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 03:48 AM   #456
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The first one was okay...the second film was the strongest of the three, while everyone knows the third one sucked. I too like the fact that they're making a conscience decision to make a clean separation from the first trilogy. I was really against this whole reboot thing at the start but as production has started and progresses I've come around to at least giving it a chance and being partially excited about the film.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 02:47 PM   #457
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
He shoots, he swings (ie new pics of the webslinger webswinging):

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73500
I get an "error connect fail" message.
They have pills for that now.

^Fair enough. If Sony really wanted to produce a shit all product then why bother hiring Marc Webb? They retained James Vanderbilt who was going to write Spider-Man 4. They could have cast way lesser quality actors than they have.
Well, true. Sony is probably trying to make a quality product I'm just not confident in how motivated they are to do so. They know that a)they have to produce a movie every couple years to retain the rights. B)so long as the movie isn't terrible (and not even S-M3 terrible, more like Superman 3 terrible) people will pay to see it.

What drive do they have to put out good product? Wolverine was phoned in (for the same reasons, they have to put out something to keep the rights to the X-Men franchise) and pretty universally disliked but they're still puhsing on with that franchise.

Sort of like EA and having the NFL rights. They're not motivated to produce a great Madden/NFL game because they're the only game in town. What incentive do they have to put out quality product? Especially if people will buy it no matter what.

Sony may be trying here but I feel they're only doing it to keep the bankable rights to Spider-man and so long as they don't go terrible people will keep seeing it.

The Rami movies were... okay, excluding the abysmal #3 but considering how Marvel was able to make the otherwise forgetable Iron-Man an interesting movie I'd be curious to see what Marvel would do with one of their more key properties, Spider-man, in a movie if they had control again.

Chances are good I'll go see this Spider-man movie but so far nothing I'm seeing is impressing me or filling me with confidence and I don't entirely trust a studio that's likely only making a movie for the sake of being able to keep making them. (Rather than having more creative or artistic motivations.)
It's not really fair to compare this product with Wolverine, for the simple reason that Sony are making this movie whereas Fox made Wolverine. Sony certainly fucked up with Spidey 3 and with the proposed Raimi Spider-man 4. But Fox are notorious for fucking up their superhero movies (though they seem to have wised up with X-Men First Class), from their interference with the first X-Men movie, to their insistence that X Men 3 be the final movie (because trilogies were trendy) to their second-guessing of Gavin Hood during the making of Wolverine.
Old January 26 2011, 03:47 PM   #458
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The movies made by the Marvel studio itself (The Iron Man films, the new Hulk, then coming Thor and Cap films) don't have this kind of interference (aside from using SHIELD as an arc plot in all films), too bad Sony won't let the rights go back to them.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 04:34 PM   #459
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Iron Man 2 was a pretty shitty incoherent mess of a film so I'm not sure how great of an argument that is...
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 04:39 PM   #460
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Iron Man 2 was a pretty shitty incoherent mess of a film so I'm not sure how great of an argument that is...
Iron-Man 2 was bogged down by the Avengers bullshit but the first movie is fairly universally liked and Hulk wasn't necessarily great it was mostly liked and considered better than the original. Remains to be seen how Thor or Captain America are received.

Still, I'd trust Marvel more with their own property more than a company sticking it out there just to keep control of it.
Old January 26 2011, 04:59 PM   #461
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I'll just politely agree to disagree with that statement.

I didn't see the Avengers tie-in material as a "mess".
The movie had similar beats and number of action moments.
For me the worst part of the film was drunk Iron Man and even in context of the film it makes sense. His toxicity level was 93% and he thought death was imminent so he was just letting it all hang out.

Regarding Studio interference I'm not quite yet ready to say SONY is going to hit this Spidey film out of the park. The same studio that forced Venom, was going to force a Vultress character isn't getting an instant pass from me.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 06:30 PM   #462
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^IIRC, the forcing of Venom came from Avi Arad, Marvel's producer on the movie. Of course, he's not involved with Marvel's current crop of movies.
Old January 26 2011, 06:42 PM   #463
davejames
Vice Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
I'm really excited for this. One of the key reasons why is that it's clear they're making a conscious effort to give us a different feel than Raimi, which I like... because honestly after the first Raimi film I wasn't feeling it.
I'm a big Raimi fan, and I enjoyed the heck out of the first two films in the theater... but once the thrill of seeing Spidey on the big screen wore off, all I could notice was just how painfully thin and one-dimensional the characters and storytelling were (even on the supposedly more "complex" second movie).

Hopefully this one will correct some of those problems, and give us a slightly richer story.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 08:04 PM   #464
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I just feel like it's being pooped out so that Sony can retain the rights to keep the movie rights to the Spider-man franchise.
You're confusing your contracts. Fox's deal with Marvel is that it has to do something with its licensed characters every few years (three, I think, which is why Marvel Studios holds The Punisher and is trying to develop another film). The deal between Marvel and Sony is different, particularly after its 2009 amendment -- in exchange for giving up all television rights to Spider-Man, Sony has the film rights to the character for something like another ten years or four films, whichever comes first. Sony's got plenty of time to make another Spider-Man film -- I'm just guessing that the studio decided that with the last film having come out in 2007, a five-year gap would be more than long enough.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2011, 08:08 PM   #465
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
I just feel like it's being pooped out so that Sony can retain the rights to keep the movie rights to the Spider-man franchise.
You're confusing your contracts. Fox's deal with Marvel is that it has to do something with its licensed characters every few years (three, I think, which is why Marvel Studios holds The Punisher and is trying to develop another film). The deal between Marvel and Sony is different, particularly after its 2009 amendment -- in exchange for giving up all television rights to Spider-Man, Sony has the film rights to the character for something like another ten years or four films, whichever comes first. Sony's got plenty of time to make another Spider-Man film -- I'm just guessing that the studio decided that with the last film having come out in 2007, a five-year gap would be more than long enough.
Gotcha. Thanks.