RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,712
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 567
Newest member: fanficfan

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 25 2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Candlelight
Admiral

Thunderbirds fans - Lockheed Martin designing real-life FireFlash!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/intern...-in-four-hours

They're playing with our minds again ... and they're on a sure-fire winner. Aeronautical designers last week again unleashed their trusty headline-grabber about the imminence of a "Son of Concorde".
London to Sydney in four hours, they were saying, in the run-up to next month's Farnborough air show outside London in the UK, which is one of the aerospace industry's main annual sales jamborees.
Importantly, the boffins were talking about the technical details of breakthroughs in computer-aided design that they reckon can finally overcome the biggest obstacle - Concorde's inability to fly supersonically over land.
I was sucked in despite a knowing warning yesterday from former Sydney Morning Herald aviation editor Ben Sandilands. "Every single story about a Concorde successor ever written has been wrong," he told me bluntly.
But the highly technical report by veteran aviation writer Guy Norris and colleague Graham Warwick in Aviation Week and Space Technology was very specific about the progress that has been made.
"The biggest barriers to development of economically viable and environmentally acceptable supersonic transports - sonic boom and airport noise - may be about to be breached," they wrote. "Through development of design tools allowing aircraft to be shaped to produce quieter booms, and noise-reducing nozzle concepts, NASA and industry are growing confident that routine supersonic overland flight is within reach."
The photo is very cool!
Old June 25 2012, 11:36 PM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Thunderbirds fans - Lockheed Martin designing real-life FireFlash!

Whilst the prospect is certainly intersting, I won't hold my breath. If it ever comes to pass I can't imagine it'll be until 2030 or even 2040 before we see it in active service.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Technically, it's not a photo. It's a concept rendering. And I see one of these articles every few years or so. When one gets flying, then I'll believe it.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 10:19 AM   #4
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

With no windows it's hard to get an idea of the intended size. Engines remind me of the old Boeing SST.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Candlelight
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
Technically, it's not a photo. It's a concept rendering.
And a film is usually a DPX sequence these days but I still say film.
Old June 26 2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

not really keen on the look - I think Mr Hackenbacker would come up with something better.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote