Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 1 2.70%
Above Average 7 18.92%
Average 7 18.92%
Below Average 7 18.92%
Poor 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 4 2010, 08:34 PM   #91
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Last Airbender - Grading & Discussion

Even so, it's progress. The more the lines between ethnicities are blurred, the more people will realize it's just not a big deal. And the percentage of Americans who are multiethnic is on the rise, so they should count just as much as everyone else.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2010, 08:44 PM   #92
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
Thank you, sir. Yours is the first non-fan response I have come across that isn't "it sucked because it wasn't a literal translation frame for frame of what I love about the cartoon".
Then you haven't been reading the pro reviews. It seems pretty clear from them that lack of fidelity to the show is the least of this movie's problems.
Correct, I have not been reading the pro reviews.

I want to know what a more average movie goer would think, one of "me", since I'm the farthest thing from a movie pro! (Masters of the Universe is one of my favourite movies. 'Nuff said? )
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2010, 11:28 PM   #93
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Above Average

I stopped reading through the thread cause it was a 'Debbie Downer' from nearly 90% posting here. For a board dominated by Democrat Libs who like to claim tolerance, acceptance and other hand holding "lets all get along" and "Peace, Peace, Peace" movies like this show the true colors.

No one was supposed to be mad Michael Clarke Duncan was Kingpin. Jessice Alba as Invisible Woman was touted as a barrier breaker and who knows what other examples lurk those just pop to mind.

If your not bitching about PC bullshit then your mad its not a straight up honest to god frame by frame adaptation. God, you people should just stay the fuck home, play Call of Duty 4 and watch the Daily Show on a damn loop. Let the rest of us enjoy life.

As for the movie itself I found it enjoyable. Not a home run, Above Average or B/B- grade. Starts slow but in hindsight its due to Ang not being fully versed as the Avatar and all the 'bending' he can do. Good set up for a saga. As each book comes out, which I hope it does, the action and drama should kick up as Ang grows more powerful(I assume it does in the cartoon). Does the flying Neverending Story creature have a power beyond flight and brute strength?

I saw it in 3-D but didn't think it warranted it, see it in regular cinema if you can. That is more of a gripe than anything else I have.

I think M.Night put out a good movie and I hope it does well enough to warrant Book Two: Earth.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2010, 11:33 PM   #94
RoJoHen
Awesome

Wow, that attitude was totally necessary.

You say that as if it's been getting good reviews anywhere else. It's still only got an 8% on rottentomatoes. That's pretty shitty. It's not just fans of the cartoon that are disappointed. The general public seems to really dislike the movie.

Good for you for enjoying it, but you don't need to insult the people who didn't when you're clearly in the minority.
Old July 4 2010, 11:42 PM   #95
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

^^^
I dunno, I found his thoughts on the movie kinda refreshing.

So much so that now I'll actually think about seeing the movie instead of avoiding it!
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2010, 11:45 PM   #96
RoJoHen
Awesome

His thoughts on the movie are fine. It was his thoughts towards other posters that were rude and insulting.
Old July 4 2010, 11:50 PM   #97
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

You say that as if it's been getting good reviews anywhere else. It's still only got an 8% on rottentomatoes. That's pretty shitty. It's not just fans of the cartoon that are disappointed. The general public seems to really dislike the movie.

Good for you for enjoying it, but you don't need to insult the people who didn't when you're clearly in the minority.
Riiight cause the other attitudes were appropriate. Perhaps cause they are the majority opinion you let it pass?
Critics opinions never sway me. The general public can be fooled, I give you Obama in the White House and Avatar(Camerons that is). So Rottentomatoes may as well be a blocked site on my computer.

Ever think others get tired of so much gripe for the sake of gripe? Too many of these same posters complaining now will tell others to chill out over something equally mundane Ro.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2010, 01:12 AM   #98
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Above Average

I stopped reading through the thread cause it was a 'Debbie Downer' from nearly 90% posting here. For a board dominated by Democrat Libs who like to claim tolerance, acceptance and other hand holding "lets all get along" and "Peace, Peace, Peace" movies like this show the true colors.

No one was supposed to be mad Michael Clarke Duncan was Kingpin. Jessice Alba as Invisible Woman was touted as a barrier breaker and who knows what other examples lurk those just pop to mind.

If your not bitching about PC bullshit then your mad its not a straight up honest to god frame by frame adaptation. God, you people should just stay the fuck home, play Call of Duty 4 and watch the Daily Show on a damn loop. Let the rest of us enjoy life.
Let's see... I'm a liberal who neither plays 'Call of Duty 4' nor watches The Daily Show. But I don't see what that has to do with my opinion of this particular pile of shit that I paid twenty bucks for me and my wife to see.

I'm sorry... but that is exactly what it was, a pile of shit. Poor acting and editing are a kiss of death for any film for me.
Old July 5 2010, 01:18 AM   #99
RoJoHen
Awesome

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

Riiight cause the other attitudes were appropriate. Perhaps cause they are the majority opinion you let it pass?
Their attitudes were towards the film. Your attitude was towards the people who didn't like it. There's a big difference.

I'd love The Last Airbender to be a good movie, and I'm glad you enjoyed it, but that doesn't mean everybody who didn't like it is being a snob or overly obsessing about minuscule details. There are probably legitimate reasons they don't like it.
Old July 5 2010, 01:40 AM   #100
Kelthaz
Commodore

Critics opinions never sway me. The general public can be fooled, I give you Obama in the White House and Avatar(Camerons that is). So Rottentomatoes may as well be a blocked site on my computer.
What an oddly out of place comment. This is a topic for a movie about a bald kid bending elements and you throw in a dig against Obama. Perish the thought, but you weren't trying to get a reaction out of people now were you?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2010, 01:41 AM   #101
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
And I've always been startled by the fierce resistance I've gotten from some posters here to my suggestion of Gina Torres for Wonder Woman.
Well, I for one don't think WW should be played by a mind-bogglingly boring actress, though I admit I haven't seen her in anything beyond Firefly/the Matrix sequels...
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2010, 01:53 AM   #102
Christopher
Writer

Gina Torres, boring? Does not compute...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2010, 02:31 AM   #103
NuFan
Lieutenant Commander

Was going tomorrow since there's no school, but sister said it's awful.
NuFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2010, 03:16 AM   #104
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Let me start by saying that before seeing the movie, I had not seen the tv series.

A co-worker is a huge fan of the series, and has been talking about it a lot lately. My boss and I have been having great fun reading negative reviews and sending her (co-worker) the funniest ones. One review that stands out said that in one scene, Dev Patel looks straight into the camera and "without words, begs the audience to forget he was ever in this movie."

After reading universally negative reviews, I had to go. I was hoping for a clusterfuck of 2012 proportions.

I didn't get it.

While it was a bit disjointed, and time seemed to have no meaning (they go from continent to continent in a few minutes? Um, ok then), it was just a few shades away from being a really decent movie.

Aang was believable as a child who had the world placed upon his shoulders, only to freak out and run away. I don't know how much of his fighting was the actor and how much was a stunt guy, but he came across as a very talented martial artist.

Zuko came across as a whiny crybaby. Oh, poor me, daddy kicked me out for speaking. When he shows just the tiniest bit of spirit, protecting Aang, it seemed like there was something there worth redeeming. Hopefully if there is a sequel, that can be referenced again, and he'll fight against these fire people.

What was the point of Sokka? Don't get me wrong, the actor was drool-worthy, and he's never looked hotter, but what was the point of his character? He serves as a sort of protector to his sister ... and so what? He falls in love with this princess girl he's known for three seconds, and it's like they're the loves of each others' lives. In a movie where time has no meaning, that is saying something. It's a very underdeveloped character, and needed at least another rewrite on the script.

The Uncle didn't seem to have any spirit in him until almost the very end, when he started kicking butt. I had a suspicion, later confirmed, that he was the fire king's brother (all we knew was that he was the prince's uncle .... could have just as easily been the queen's brother ... speaking of, why wasn't there a queen? I don't remember anyone addressing that). He seems to have the ability to make fire from himself instead of taking existing fire, and appears to be much more powerful of a "bender" than anyone around him. So why is he just a general, and not the king?

Yue has no point to her. She's in the movie for about 10 minutes, but is a throwaway character designed for only one reason, to be there to give away her life. Sadly, because she has so little screen time, it seems that the writer decided to not create an actual character. There's zero substance. Also, wtf was with her hair in her introduction. Seriously, the whole audience roared with laughter ... from behind, she looks like a human-sized penis. Somebody had to have realized that on the set!

Like I said, it's not the clusterfuck I had been expecting, and was a lot better than I had been expecting, based on the reviews I had read.

Because of this, and still being curious about the series, I went to Netflix and watched the first episode of the series via streaming. It is surprisingly good. And almost the whole first episode is right there in the movie. A few changes here and there (Aang ran off in the movie, but was in the middle of a fight in the series), but close enough. Since the whole thing is on sale at walmart and amazon, I might just go pick up the first season.

I give the movie a solid B.
Old July 5 2010, 03:25 AM   #105
RoJoHen
Awesome

OmahaStar wrote: View Post

What was the point of Sokka? Don't get me wrong, the actor was drool-worthy, and he's never looked hotter, but what was the point of his character? He serves as a sort of protector to his sister ... and so what? He falls in love with this princess girl he's known for three seconds, and it's like they're the loves of each others' lives. In a movie where time has no meaning, that is saying something. It's a very underdeveloped character, and needed at least another rewrite on the script.
This was my biggest fear. In the show, Sokka is hilarious comic relief. It seems like a waste to have him not fulfill that role in the film.

The Uncle didn't seem to have any spirit in him until almost the very end, when he started kicking butt. I had a suspicion, later confirmed, that he was the fire king's brother (all we knew was that he was the prince's uncle .... could have just as easily been the queen's brother ... speaking of, why wasn't there a queen? I don't remember anyone addressing that). He seems to have the ability to make fire from himself instead of taking existing fire, and appears to be much more powerful of a "bender" than anyone around him. So why is he just a general, and not the king?
Indeed, why isn't he the king? I don't remember if this is explained in Season 1 or 2, but it has to do with him losing his son in the war. The previous Firelord made the call to make his brother the new Firelord instead of the uncle.

Yue has no point to her. She's in the movie for about 10 minutes, but is a throwaway character designed for only one reason, to be there to give away her life. Sadly, because she has so little screen time, it seems that the writer decided to not create an actual character. There's zero substance.
This is a shame. She was a major love interest for Sokka and her death in the show was tragic.

Because of this, and still being curious about the series, I went to Netflix and watched the first episode of the series via streaming. It is surprisingly good. And almost the whole first episode is right there in the movie. A few changes here and there (Aang ran off in the movie, but was in the middle of a fight in the series), but close enough. Since the whole thing is on sale at walmart and amazon, I might just go pick up the first season.
It's definitely worth watching.