Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 1 2.70%
Above Average 7 18.92%
Average 7 18.92%
Below Average 7 18.92%
Poor 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 31 2010, 07:18 PM   #226
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The Last Airbender - Grading & Discussion

I'm still confused how USA Today scored it in the A- section (formidable comeback) when it had an "A" list director and a property that was tailor made (seemingly) for the big screen.
Old August 31 2010, 10:17 PM   #227
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Last Airbender has finally started rolling out into the bargain, or $2 cinemas, and will likely finish closer to $135m.
While its still off the mark of its production budget($150) and not liekly to garner a sequel it didn't flop or fail which is what many in this thread wanted for various reasons.
I think in Hollywood this would be the definition of a flop. Didn't make back its production budget (remember part of that $135 million goes to the theaters) and there isn't going to be a sequel.
World wide totals is $250m. It has a $150m production budget, half again of that will add on advertising expenses, and yeah if you take out the money that goes back to theaters this movie is likely only going to break even.
Old August 31 2010, 10:56 PM   #228
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Last Airbender has finally started rolling out into the bargain, or $2 cinemas, and will likely finish closer to $135m.
While its still off the mark of its production budget($150) and not liekly to garner a sequel it didn't flop or fail which is what many in this thread wanted for various reasons.
I think in Hollywood this would be the definition of a flop. Didn't make back its production budget (remember part of that $135 million goes to the theaters) and there isn't going to be a sequel.
World wide totals is $250m. It has a $150m production budget, half again of that will add on advertising expenses, and yeah if you take out the money that goes back to theaters this movie is likely only going to break even.
I always love the assumption of 'marketing/advertising' but to be fair it probably was at least $50m. Those #s are hardly ever published.
So we agree then that break even is not a flop then.
Captain Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 10:58 PM   #229
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I always love the assumption of 'marketing/advertising' but to be fair it probably was at least $50m. Those #s are hardly ever published.
If it breaks even, after money going back to the theaters and after adding in the advertising costs, no, the movie isn't a "flop" but it'd hardly be a success that'll have the studio clamoring for another one.
Old August 31 2010, 11:08 PM   #230
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I'd highly be shocked if a sequel was ordered.
I mean SALT is going to have done decent and they've(Sony) already said its 50/50 with the hinge being its foreign totals.
Old September 1 2010, 01:07 AM   #231
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

If it breaks even, after money going back to the theaters and after adding in the advertising costs, no, the movie isn't a "flop" but it'd hardly be a success that'll have the studio clamoring for another one.
It'll have to do very well in TV/DVD revenue to break even if you think about it...

$250 million is its worldwide gross.
Roughly 40% will go to the theaters which is $100 million.
Which leaves the studio revenue from this film at about $150 million. With a $200 million dollar outlay. So that means the movie has to generate another $50 million in post-theatrical revenue to break even.
Old September 1 2010, 01:35 AM   #232
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Indeed. "Playing generously" I'm syaing the movie will break even when it leaves theaters. But that's being very generous. The movie will have to have a pretty good DVD release and to have done very well in marketing tie-ins (toys, games, etc.) to make the studio "happy."

But they're not going to be very happy and, again, the movie was blasted by critics. I think a sequel is all-but impossible. For fans of the cartoon, I'd hope that in a couple of years someone tries again with a more faithful adaption.
Old September 1 2010, 01:43 AM   #233
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
I am curious to know how it has sold as a toy line now that you bring it up. One of the toy magazines, either Tomarts or Lee's, will often times have a list of the top 10 selling lines. I don't expect TLA to be in there but surely there is a listing online somewhere.
Old September 1 2010, 03:32 AM   #234
Christopher
Writer

For fans of the cartoon, I'd hope that in a couple of years someone tries again with a more faithful adaption.
Fidelity wasn't the problem here. The storyline of the film adhered as closely to that of the first season as one could reasonably have hoped. It's just that the script was so bad, the performances disappointing, the charm and humor and depth of the original totally missing. It faithfully adhered to the plot and concepts of the original, it just did so in an inept way.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2010, 11:13 AM   #235
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^If it was so faithful, then the likelihood is that the original wasn't as deep as imagined. A cartoon can draw something fundamentally unreal and trying to bring it to life can show how there was never any real life there at all.
Old September 1 2010, 11:19 AM   #236
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yes. Because it is impossible to bring something "unreal" to life in a live-action movie.

Oh, wait.
Old September 1 2010, 01:22 PM   #237
Christopher
Writer

To add a thought to my previous post...

If anything, I think the commitment to faithfulness was one of the film's major problems (at least, from everything I've read about it -- full disclosure, I haven't actually seen it yet). From what I gather, it tried to cram in so much by covering the whole first season (basically) in two hours that everything ended up rushed and cursory. Maybe if it had been less faithful, if it had told a modified story that was inspired by the first season but structured to work better as a single 2-hour piece, it would've been a better movie.

Too many people assume that an adaptation has to be faithful in order to be good, and that if an adaptation is poor, it must be because it wasn't faithful enough. But that is complete and utter malarkey. The whole point of adaptation is change -- specifically, change in order to become suitable for a new environment, a new context. What works in one format won't necessarily work in another, so you should change it so that the same underlying essence, the core ideas or spirit of the work, can be expressed in a way that suits that new medium. This film, to all indications, got that completely backward -- it was too faithful to the show's structure and thus was horribly structured as a movie, and it dwelled so much on replicating the events of the plot that it lost the essence of the characters, the style, and the spirit. And it should be an object lesson for why literal, "faithful" translation should not be the overriding goal of an adaptation.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2010, 01:54 PM   #238
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Yes and no. From the moment the movie begins, It just jumped straight into selected events in the first season of the cartoon. However, I felt the main problem was that none of the characters were introduced, neither were their motivations explained clearly.

To given an example, I'll use Zuko. From the perspective of a new viewer who has never seen the cartoon, Zuko's obviously the bad guy who arrests Aang in one early scene. Suddenly a few scenes later he's the Blue Spirit rescuing Aang. I have seen the cartoon so I understand why Zuko is freeing Aang, but what about the new viewer? The movie just did not do a good job of connecting the dots to form a smooth flowing story.
intrinsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2010, 02:29 PM   #239
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Really, I question the wisdom in trying to condense an entire season of a TV series into a movie. To me, that just seems like an amazingly wrong-headed approach. TV-to-film adaptations are usually done as sequels/prequels or reimaginings. Serenity was a sequel to Firefly, though it was built to stand on its own. TLA probably should have done something similar rather than shortchange the story by compressing 10 hours into less than 2.
Old September 1 2010, 02:38 PM   #240
RoJoHen
Awesome

If anything, it should have been an epic, 3-hour movie. I can't see the story being told well any other way.