CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 1 2.70%
Above Average 7 18.92%
Average 7 18.92%
Below Average 7 18.92%
Poor 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 14 2010, 01:46 PM   #211
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Re: The Last Airbender - Grading & Discussion

Haven't seen it and I don't want to, but all I know is the advert for it pisses me off.

"SEE SOME SHIT HAPPEN IN 3D, MORE SHIT IN 3D, EVEN MORE SHIT IN 3D, AND SOME MORE SHIT IN 3D"

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2010, 02:39 PM   #212
Christopher
Writer

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
Is "bender" a British slang for something?
It's slang for homosexual.
That's all? I thought it was supposed to be something objectionable.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2010, 04:06 PM   #213
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

I always wondered why the show's title was different in the U.K.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2010, 04:23 PM   #214
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Aparently British people have never understood that words have different meanings in different context? I mean, you'd think they would know that, it is their damn language.
Old August 14 2010, 05:23 PM   #215
Christopher
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Aparently British people have never understood that words have different meanings in different context? I mean, you'd think they would know that, it is their damn language.
Well, that's hardly fair. Americans are no different. Haven't you ever heard anyone snickering at "We'll have a gay old time" in the Flintstones theme song? Or at references to a "private dick" in old-time detective movies?

Old August 14 2010, 05:42 PM   #216
Mr Light
Admiral

Why, what do they call it in England?

When I was a little boy I always used to go to places with my fanny pack stuffed full of goodies. Never knew how offensive that was until a few weeks ago

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2010, 05:46 PM   #217
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Christopher wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Well, that's hardly fair. Americans are no different. Haven't you ever heard anyone snickering at "We'll have a gay old time" in the Flintstones theme song? Or at references to a "private dick" in old-time detective movies?
Yeah, maybe being an adult I've just never snickered at those things and in the past, before being an adult, I knew words have different meanings and play context a lot into finding things funny. There's an old comic people post a lot of a paper saying the Joker "makes a lot of boners (re: errors)" and I don't find it funny because I play a lot of context into it. (Namely, it didn't mean that back then.)

So, yeah, I don't get it. Context is everything. I mean the "bender" thing, I guess is funny in a "the word also means "gay" way but in the context of the movie it's obviously not what they're talking about and it seems even sillier that they changed the name of the series in England because of it.
Old August 14 2010, 05:58 PM   #218
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Why, what do they call it in England?
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2010, 06:17 PM   #219
Christopher
Writer

I'm wondering how British audiences react to Bender in Futurama. (Of course, he was named for a slang term, besides the literal meaning, but it's "bender" in the sense of "a drinking binge.")

Old August 14 2010, 06:31 PM   #220
Mr Light
Admiral

Must have put an added dimension to Bender being afraid people would think he and Fry are robo-sexual!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 05:35 PM   #221
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Summer Report Cards are coming in and USA Today ranks Airbender and M.Night with an A- score.

'Washed-Ups': A-
No one writes an epitaph quicker than the Hollywood media, and tombstones were being chiseled for some of Hollywood's latest floppers: M. Night Shyamalan, Russell Crowe and Sylvester Stallone.
Yet each managed a formidable comeback this summer. Despite taking a critical pummeling, Shyamalan's television series adaptation The Last Airbender earned $131 million.
Last Airbender has finally started rolling out into the bargain, or $2 cinemas, and will likely finish closer to $135m.
While its still off the mark of its production budget($150) and not liekly to garner a sequel it didn't flop or fail which is what many in this thread wanted for various reasons.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 05:40 PM   #222
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Summer Report Cards are coming in and USA Today ranks Airbender and M.Night with an A- score.

'Washed-Ups': A-
No one writes an epitaph quicker than the Hollywood media, and tombstones were being chiseled for some of Hollywood's latest floppers: M. Night Shyamalan, Russell Crowe and Sylvester Stallone.
Yet each managed a formidable comeback this summer. Despite taking a critical pummeling, Shyamalan's television series adaptation The Last Airbender earned $131 million.
Last Airbender has finally started rolling out into the bargain, or $2 cinemas, and will likely finish closer to $135m.
While its still off the mark of its production budget($150) and not liekly to garner a sequel it didn't flop or fail which is what many in this thread wanted for various reasons.
That's too bad because it didn't deserve to earn one damn penny.
Old August 31 2010, 06:52 PM   #223
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I think in Hollywood this would be the definition of a flop. Didn't make back its production budget (remember part of that $135 million goes to the theaters) and there isn't going to be a sequel.
Old August 31 2010, 07:03 PM   #224
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
No, by definition it isn't. That's already been gone over in this thread. While the films gross vs the studios net is different based on a few factors TLA isn't a flop.

An underperformer or even dissapointment would be fair to say but not flop.

Flops are films like Cutthroat Island, Gigli, Battlefield Earth, or Speed Racer.
Where they not only don't come near their production budget with US domestic gross but not near it after any worldwide totals are added in.
TLA has made close to its production budget and with worldwide receipts pushes well past. You'll notice its tracking page doesn't resemble those that are actual flops.

Flop gets tossed out too often and is misapplied in the case of TLA
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 07:12 PM   #225
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

^^^
No, by definition it isn't. That's already been gone over in this thread. While the films gross vs the studios net is different based on a few factors TLA isn't a flop.

An underperformer or even dissapointment would be fair to say but not flop.

Flops are films like Cutthroat Island, Gigli, Battlefield Earth, or Speed Racer.
Where they not only don't come near their production budget with US domestic gross but not near it after any worldwide totals are added in.
TLA has made close to its production budget and with worldwide receipts pushes well past. You'll notice its tracking page doesn't resemble those that are actual flops.

Flop gets tossed out too often and is misapplied in the case of TLA
Was just looking at that page.

I'll meet you half-way with 'underperformer'.

I still think it may barely break even when all is said and done. There is no information on the actual amount of money spent on advertising, which had to be in the tens of millions based on the wall to wall ads I saw for it.

Unfortunately, it still wasn't a very good movie.