Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 1 2.70%
Above Average 7 18.92%
Average 7 18.92%
Below Average 7 18.92%
Poor 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 6 2010, 09:32 PM   #151
Saquist
Commodore

Re: The Last Airbender - Grading & Discussion

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Saquist wrote: View Post
These racial terms shouldn't be a big deal. Demo or Consertative...we've been through the racial issues. It's the on line community that is bring it back and up over and over again.

I remember the criticism of the blind side on the internet is that it was racially deep. I rather think that the Blindside represents our leaving behind those racial issues as things we need to talk about.
No, not at all. Race is still a pervasive factor in society; not talking about it just benefits the status quo.
Theres nothing wrong with level headed talk. But movies don't talk they provoke.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2010, 01:30 AM   #152
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
The way you latch onto a beard as supposed evidence that Katara and Sokka aren't meant to be Inuit, despite everything about their entire culture clearly being Inuit, is kind of silly.

This sort of casting is part and parcel of a particularly pernicious pattern (let's see how long I can keep this going) in Hollywood, one that has offended quite a few people, particularly Asian-Americans for whom this series was a very significant deal.
No I'm latching onto a a beard to show that the characters were not depicted as the races you seem to be obsessed with. The cartoon characters didn't look like Innuit, why are you so concerned that the live action ones do?

You're reading something into the tv show that isn't there, and you're reading a level of racism into the casting that isn't there.

That you are more concerned with a "pernicious pattern" as your evidence as opposed to anything shown onscreen shows your own bias.

The fact that the characters looked nothing like Innuit but you are pigeonholing them racially because they lived in igloos (had nothing to do with living at the pole of course) is your own racial profiling.

You see the show and need to slot races into cultural profiles and of course you can't look in the mirror and see the conceit in that.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2010, 01:35 AM   #153
CaptainCanada
Admiral

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
The fact that the characters looked nothing like Innuit
Except they do look like Inuit. And Hakoda has a beard, which may or may not be in keeping with that; that one single potential divergence does not outweigh everything else. They're fantasy-Inuit. The creators have said as much, just as all the other Nations (and subgroups within them) have clear cultural counterparts.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2010, 12:15 PM   #154
Auriq
Captain

Okay. I've now seen it. My opinion?

I love the show. Adore it. Consider it to be the best animated series ever, and one of the greatest shows ever. It has action. It has comedy. It has spirituality. I even took the movie's release as an excuse to rewatch all of Book One before seeing the film.

Well, that was a mistake.

The movie needed at least another hour just for the sake of making the plot coherent. Frankly, I was surprised Shymalan didn't just make Katara and Sokka Northern Water tribe just so he could get there even faster and make a 45 minute movie. The man should not be allowed to write a film. I'll admit that his art direction is gorgeous and atmospheric. He just can't write.

What was up with the pronunciation of "Aang", "Sokka" and "Iroh"? Or "Agni-Ki"? Why change it? There was no point to that. it was change for the sake of change. It's like going to a Star Trek movie and having them say "Mr. Spoke". And where was Avatar Roku? Aang needs that "Obi-Wan"-like guidance. And not from a big, smoky, poorly-animated dragon.

The acting was a bit on the stiff side, I'll admit. But that was the least of the movie's flaws. It lost the humour, the spirit of the show.

In the end, sad though it makes me to say, part of me is glad this is probably going to be the last movie...

I don't want to see the travesty Shymalan would make of Toph.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2226785/1/
Auriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2010, 12:57 PM   #155
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Here's an explanation from racial issues website Racebending about why they objected to the movie:

I’d like the chance to explain what Racebending.com is about. Why are we boycotting Paramount’s The Last Airbender? Why are we angry about the production’s casting practices?
I think there’s a lot of misunderstanding here and my hope is that if you have the time to read my piece, you’ll find that we’re reasonable folks with valid concerns. We’re not just whistle-blowing PC police or crazy “reverse racists.”
Even if I don’t convince you to go out and buy a Racebending shirt, I hope that by the end, you respect our position more, and can understand where we’re coming from even if you don’t agree.
If you’re pressed for time and the length of this piece annoys you, we have a five-minute video series explaining our position, though it won’t address everything in this piece: http://www.racebending.com/v3/featured/the-last-airbender-film-how-to-talk-about-it-video-series/”>Why Are People Upset About Airbender?

WHY THIS ISSUE MATTERS
Sometimes it’s hard to see why something as trivial as a film matters. Why video games are important or how comic books can shape our lives.
In a given week, the average American child spends less than forty minutes in meaningful conversation with their parents. In the same week, he or she will also spend sixteen hundred and eighty minutes watching television.
In a given year, an American child will spend 900 hours in school – and 1500 hours watching television.
(source: http://www.csun.edu/science/health/docs/tv&health.html by Norman Herr, PhD Professor of Science and Education)
Clearly, children spend a great deal of time consuming media. It helps shape how they view the world and themselves. In the states, we find it very easy to fight the gender stereotypes they may be exposed to. We tell our daughters that they can grow up to be doctors or lawyers or presidents, and that they are just as capable as any boy.
But in America, we’re very skittish about the subject of race. We like to stick to vague statements like “Everybody is equal” – a lofty and admirable statement, to be sure, but abstract and tough for a child to grasp.
When we don’t talk to our children about race, they draw their own conclusions, and one of their main sources of information about the world is media.
The kind of concepts children internalize about themselves is demonstrated in a study known as the doll test, initially conducted to help end segregation in the states, and performed again in more recent years:
http://www.racebending.com/v3/backgr...dren-see-race/
AREN’T WE ALL EQUAL NOW?
About once a month, someone asks me some variant of this question: “Where are you from?”
“San Diego,” I’ll say.
“No,” comes the response. “Where are you REALLY from?”
There are more folks of Asian descent living in the United States than there are people in the entire country of Holland. My English is flawless (insofar as I’m a Californian with zealous overuse of the word “like”). Many of the folks who ask me this question I consider friends. And I’m not saying “Oh, look how racist everyone is.”
What I am saying is that Asian Americans aren’t really thought of as American. One of my close friends has a straight-up Brooklyn accent. He was telling a coworker that he used to serve in the army.
The response?
“Oh, cool. The Chinese army?”
It’s easy to draw comparisons between the Airbender casting and an English actor playing an Irish one, or a Spanish actor playing an Italian actor. But it’s not really the same, and the reason is that Hollywood and media don’t consider whether an actor is Irish or Spanish or English. They think of that actor as “white.” The same is not true of actors who are Asian or Latino, who have to fight over the few roles specifically written for those ethnicities. And a lot of times, even when a role is steeped in Asian culture, even when a role is based on real-life individuals of Asian descent, those roles still go to white actors.

An Open Letter to Racebending.com Detractors
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2010, 02:00 PM   #156
Christopher
Writer

As I've said many times, I agree with the principle of the protestors such as Racebending.com, and I initially shared their concerns about this movie, but I think the facts that have since come out demonstrate that the concerns in this particular case were exaggerated. The film's cast is actually reasonably diverse, and the actors getting the most praise are South Asian while two of the three main white actors are barely a significant presence in the film. So I don't think this film will make nonwhite viewers feel marginalized. Not to mention that this film is likely to disappear quickly from the cultural landscape and not have that great an influence anyway.

Vigilance is good, but continuing to criticize in a case where the criticism turns out to be undeserved is a misuse of energy. Indeed, I'd say making too much of a fuss over this movie one way or the other is a misuse of energy. Let's just let it fade away and refocus our attention on the brilliance that was the animated series.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2010, 04:12 PM   #157
Saquist
Commodore

TLAB was actually anything but racially monotone. Just because there wasn't a rhyme or reason to who was what in the movie is the fault of our own expectation. I expected this to be a Live action representation of the Series in realistic proportion.

Instead this is an almost child like view of people in this universe where it simply doesn't matter what race are. It's as though a drama teacher casted not based on look but ability.
Old July 7 2010, 04:42 PM   #158
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
As I've said many times, I agree with the principle of the protestors such as Racebending.com, and I initially shared their concerns about this movie, but I think the facts that have since come out demonstrate that the concerns in this particular case were exaggerated. The film's cast is actually reasonably diverse, and the actors getting the most praise are South Asian while two of the three main white actors are barely a significant presence in the film. So I don't think this film will make nonwhite viewers feel marginalized. Not to mention that this film is likely to disappear quickly from the cultural landscape and not have that great an influence anyway.

Vigilance is good, but continuing to criticize in a case where the criticism turns out to be undeserved is a misuse of energy. Indeed, I'd say making too much of a fuss over this movie one way or the other is a misuse of energy. Let's just let it fade away and refocus our attention on the brilliance that was the animated series.
Wiser words have never been spoken; wish that the hyperactive, hypercritical, and hyper fanatical bunch at Racebending and at Racialcious would wise the frack up, calm down, and listen. But of course, they won't.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2010, 07:45 PM   #159
Christopher
Writer

^Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the concerns they raised weren't legitimate. It's an important issue that needs to be addressed, and the early, incomplete information we got about the film did raise questions that it was right to ask. I'm just saying that the answers we eventually got to those questions were reassuring. The goal should be to get to the truth, not to cling inflexibly to one's initial position and close one's mind to new information. After all, that's how we overcome racial prejudice and mistrust: by opening our minds and listening.

Old July 7 2010, 09:11 PM   #160
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Auriq wrote: View Post
Okay. I've now seen it. My opinion?

I love the show. Adore it. Consider it to be the best animated series ever, and one of the greatest shows ever. It has action. It has comedy. It has spirituality. I even took the movie's release as an excuse to rewatch all of Book One before seeing the film.

Well, that was a mistake.

The movie needed at least another hour just for the sake of making the plot coherent. Frankly, I was surprised Shymalan didn't just make Katara and Sokka Northern Water tribe just so he could get there even faster and make a 45 minute movie. The man should not be allowed to write a film. I'll admit that his art direction is gorgeous and atmospheric. He just can't write.

What was up with the pronunciation of "Aang", "Sokka" and "Iroh"? Or "Agni-Ki"? Why change it? There was no point to that. it was change for the sake of change. It's like going to a Star Trek movie and having them say "Mr. Spoke". And where was Avatar Roku? Aang needs that "Obi-Wan"-like guidance. And not from a big, smoky, poorly-animated dragon.

The acting was a bit on the stiff side, I'll admit. But that was the least of the movie's flaws. It lost the humour, the spirit of the show.

In the end, sad though it makes me to say, part of me is glad this is probably going to be the last movie...

I don't want to see the travesty Shymalan would make of Toph.
It made enough money openning weekend that they probably will push forward w/ book 2.
Old July 7 2010, 09:17 PM   #161
Saquist
Commodore

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

Wiser words have never been spoken; wish that the hyperactive, hypercritical, and hyper fanatical bunch at Racebending and at Racialcious would wise the frack up, calm down, and listen. But of course, they won't.
Chris isn't flogging these people for their view. Let's not be excessive in agreement.

Although I found the first impression of the film inaccurate from previews...It clearly had much bigger issue. This racial issue is so over used on the internet that it's become an obsession that I've found myself within as well.
Old July 8 2010, 05:44 AM   #162
Tulin
Vice Admiral

As for that Racebending person - if you want to be considered American, why do you insist on calling yourself an "Asian American"?

Typical of the PC nitwits. They want it EVERY way and depending on which way the wind is blowing that day, they want you to understand whatever mood they're in or whatever whim is taking their fancy that day.

*Goes back to watching Benny Hill playing the Chinese man saying "sirry iriot"*
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 11:03 AM   #163
DarKush
Rear Admiral

^
Does calling oneself Asian American make them any less American? I can't speak for that person, but I am an African American and I have no problem calling myself that. I think the African American experience is an unique part of the overall American experience and I would like it to be remembered, talked about, honored, and at times celebrated. And if not by everyone, then by African Americans themselves.

I don't get why people should have to extinguish their cultural heritage to become an "American" (i.e. a white American, and generally adopt WASP culture). Our country is bigger than that and it can and should reflect all of its diverse members.

Let's be real, when you're talking about "American", you're seeing white people as the default Americans, and white culture as the norm. It's the 'real' Americans of Sarah Palin and FOX News. Now some white folks don't believe they have a culture, that their experience is universal, that they don't engage in 'identity politics', but I don't believe that's the case. White Americans are just one thread in our national quilt, not the whole sheet.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 02:59 PM   #164
Christopher
Writer

The whole nature of America is that it's not just one thing. E pluribus unum -- one from many. And there's nothing wrong with being proud of both your American heritage and your other heritage. People who think it has to be one or the other don't understand what America is.

Old July 8 2010, 03:38 PM   #165
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Tulin wrote: View Post
As for that Racebending person - if you want to be considered American, why do you insist on calling yourself an "Asian American"?

Typical of the PC nitwits. They want it EVERY way and depending on which way the wind is blowing that day, they want you to understand whatever mood they're in or whatever whim is taking their fancy that day.

*Goes back to watching Benny Hill playing the Chinese man saying "sirry iriot"*
So much for St. Patty's Day, "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" buttons, Columbus Day, the San Gennaro festival in Little Italy, Chinatown, The Puerto Rican Day Parade.....

Nope, Americans have never gone out of their way to distinguish their cultural heritage. It's something brand spankin' new created by the souless minions of orthodoxy.