RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,680
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 396
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 3 2011, 01:52 AM   #106
arch101
Fleet Captain

Re: Primeval series 4

I know the Eye is that big Ferris wheel, but what's the Gherkin?
The Swiss Re Building is a modernist, bullet-shaped building in London's Financial District designed by Sir Norman Foster. Nicknamed The Gherkin because it looks like...a big Gherkin
Old January 3 2011, 02:00 AM   #107
Christopher
Writer

Okay, that answers what the Gherkin is, but now I'm dying to know how a street ended up being named "St Mary Axe."

Ahh, here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary_Axe
The name derives from the combination of the church dedicated to the Virgin Mary and a neighbouring tavern, which prominently displayed a sign with an axe image.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 09:29 AM   #108
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Red Nosed Skutter wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

That's a shame. The show's use of "real" locations was one of its trademarks. If they're using somewhere in Ireland to substitute for London and elsewhere, it will take away some of that real-world texture.
May mean they focus less on London though, I mean there is a full country here, why do all the anomalies open within spitting distance of London?
I think most TV people forget that the UK has a middle or a north.
I'm I the only person sick to death of seeing the London eye and the Gherkin in every show.
Yep, sick of seeing London. At least Being Human, Skins and Shameless are set else where. I believe the BBC have promised to start making more shows in the regions and countries where they have a presence. So Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Hull, Scotland and Wales at the very least are likely to see some more productions too.

Christopher I've not seen anything about the spin off or movie in months, I saw something about the Reeves-Stevens writing scripts for the spin off and Warner buying the rights to the movie but nothing since.
Old January 3 2011, 09:39 AM   #109
lennier1
Commodore

May mean they focus less on London though, I mean there is a full country here, why do all the anomalies open within spitting distance of London?
I'm I the only person sick to death of seeing the London eye and the Gherkin in every show.
Yep, sick of seeing London. At least Being Human, Skins and Shameless are set else where. I believe the BBC have promised to start making more shows in the regions and countries where they have a presence. So Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Hull, Scotland and Wales at the very least are likely to see some more productions too.

Christopher I've not seen anything about the spin off or movie in months, I saw something about the Reeves-Stevens writing scripts for the spin off and Warner buying the rights to the movie but nothing since.
What about Torchwood (Cardiff, Wales)? It's a good choice since nobody would really notice if the city was sucked into The Rift, but still ...

Why do they concentrate so much on London anyway, considering how expensive that city is?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 10:24 AM   #110
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

lennier1 wrote: View Post

What about Torchwood (Cardiff, Wales)? It's a good choice since nobody would really notice if the city was sucked into The Rift, but still ...

Why do they concentrate so much on London anyway, considering how expensive that city is?
Torchwood, yeah, I wasn't naming every show outside London otherwise Corrie and Emmerdale would be on there too.
Oh how could I forget This is England. Brilliant show and fantastic that it's not in London.

I think it's just because so much of the media is concentrated there they forget the rest of the country exists.
Old January 3 2011, 12:26 PM   #111
Australis
Writer

I think Jess will be OK in the long run.

Hey, quick question for you soundtrack buffs, I'm doing a quick rewatch of earlier eps, up tto s1e04, and I really like a piece of energetic guitar rock they use (when they're entering the tower block, about 3 minutes in). Anyone know what it is or where I could get it?
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

Last edited by Australis; January 3 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 04:40 PM   #112
Starkers
Admiral

Wamdue, I got a Fantastic Four vibe too

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 04:51 PM   #113
captcalhoun
Admiral

well, i liked Jess and i liked both episodes.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 05:32 PM   #114
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I enojyed the return episode, I thought it was handled well. Doesn't really make sense that after a whole year surviving back there, Connor and Abby are banned from travel through the vortexes, but, I'm hoping it'll play out in good drama.

Becker seems to have stepped up a bit in his "leadership" role.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 06:10 PM   #115
Christopher
Writer

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Doesn't really make sense that after a whole year surviving back there, Connor and Abby are banned from travel through the vortexes, but, I'm hoping it'll play out in good drama.
From another point of view, it makes perfect sense. The idea is "they've suffered enough." They've been through more than should be asked of any civilian, and they're the lucky ones, since other civilians (Nick, Steven, Sarah, and probably Danny, they assume) have died doing this work.

And there is real-world validity to that idea. In fiction, protagonists can go through horrible ordeals on a weekly basis, get injured several times a season, witness their friends and colleagues dying around them, and still be perfectly capable of functioning for five or seven years on end. In reality, people who go through ordeals like that are physically and emotionally traumatized and it would simply be cruel and dangerous to force them to continue. Real-life military personnel on hazardous duty get rotated back home before too long. Experienced or not, they aren't asked to keep risking their lives and their mental health indefinitely.

Really, after all they've endured, Abby and Connor should be allowed to retire on a government pension and get free therapy for as long as they need it. So while I'm sure the conceits of series television will lead them to get back into the game, the new policy of the ARC actually makes a great deal of sense by any realistic standard.

Well, he's the leader of the security personnel, same as last year, but Matt's the leader of the team and Becker's superior. So I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 06:16 PM   #116
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Doesn't really make sense that after a whole year surviving back there, Connor and Abby are banned from travel through the vortexes, but, I'm hoping it'll play out in good drama.
From another point of view, it makes perfect sense. The idea is "they've suffered enough." They've been through more than should be asked of any civilian, and they're the lucky ones, since other civilians (Nick, Steven, Sarah, and probably Danny, they assume) have died doing this work.

And there is real-world validity to that idea. In fiction, protagonists can go through horrible ordeals on a weekly basis, get injured several times a season, witness their friends and colleagues dying around them, and still be perfectly capable of functioning for five or seven years on end. In reality, people who go through ordeals like that are physically and emotionally traumatized and it would simply be cruel and dangerous to force them to continue. Real-life military personnel on hazardous duty get rotated back home before too long. Experienced or not, they aren't asked to keep risking their lives and their mental health indefinitely.

Really, after all they've endured, Abby and Connor should be allowed to retire on a government pension and get free therapy for as long as they need it. So while I'm sure the conceits of series television will lead them to get back into the game, the new policy of the ARC actually makes a great deal of sense by any realistic standard.

Well, he's the leader of the security personnel, same as last year, but Matt's the leader of the team and Becker's superior. So I'm not sure what you mean by this.
Well sure, when you put it into those kind of reality statements, it makes perfect sense, but, we've never seen that kind of realism in most TV shows

On Becker, that's why the quote marks around "Leadership", he bowed compeltely to Danny's authority, not so much, it didn't seem to Matt's Becker came off as more of a Leader in this first episode, then he did in the prior season, to me at least.

Old January 5 2011, 03:09 AM   #117
sojourner
Admiral

OK, saw the first episode of season 4 and realized due to the recap that I must have missed some of the last episodes of season 3. Was it shown in it's entirety on BBCA?
Old January 5 2011, 03:47 AM   #118
wamdue
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
OK, saw the first episode of season 4 and realized due to the recap that I must have missed some of the last episodes of season 3. Was it shown in it's entirety on BBCA?
I assume so, cant see BBCAm investing in a show as much as it has in Primevel, if its not giong to show the second half of a series.
Old January 5 2011, 04:28 AM   #119
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
It's been a while, but, yea, I recorded onto DVD the last episode in late July 2009 from either the airing, or the next day or so on On Demand Cable. I meant to watch it before the premiere, to refresh myself, but didn't get a chance. I was surprised at how much the episode reminded me I forgot.

Old January 5 2011, 11:00 AM   #120
Australis
Writer

There were webisodes, and I decided to catch up with them.. They explain a bit more about what's going on.

Try this link, or they may be on YT:

http://blastr.com/2010/12/5-webisode...l-season-4.php

No answer to my soundtrack question above?

And another quick question, do we know why Doug Henshall, the guy who played Hart and Lucy Brown moved on? I know about Laila Rouass wanting to raise her children. I'm just thinking of ways they could fit in, even if for one ep to clear things up.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

Last edited by Australis; January 5 2011 at 03:01 PM.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote