Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 2 2011, 04:13 AM   #76
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Primeval series 4

Wow, BBC America got it "live"? Cool. An enjoyable episode as always. I never get sick of seeing a dinosaur running around modern day England. I do wish the cast would stop rebooting, though. I miss the older characters. At least Connor and Abby are still around.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 04:45 AM   #77
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I never get sick of seeing a dinosaur running around modern day England. .
But enough about the Royal Family.
Old January 2 2011, 05:06 AM   #78
Christopher
Writer

Well, it's not bad so far. I'm a bit worried that it seems to be from new writers unconnected to the original creators -- that rarely turns out well -- but it turned out basically okay, although the climax was highly predictable from the moment Connor was pulled up into the air. There seems to have been a logical progression in the ARC's technology, like the fancier version of their anomaly-containing field. And there were some good character moments, particularly the exchange between Lester and Jess. "You can be replaced, you know." (dismissive smirk) "You're hilarious." I'm glad that by this point, Jess seems to have gotten over the more timid, flighty persona she exhibited in the web-exclusive mini-episodes I saw a few days ago.

And I liked the bit at the end, with Abby and Connor still following the survival habits they learned in the wild. I think if the show sticks with exploring how the experience has changed them, it could make them more interesting characters than they were before. Maybe Connor will be tougher now and not quite so goofy. As for Abby, in season 3 she was angry all the time, it seemed, but now she seems warmer, more sensitive. I hope that sticks. And the longer hair helps give her a softer look too. I like it.

Was that Helen's diary that Abby threw in the fire? That, along with the loss of the anomaly controller, suggests they're pretty much closing off old threads and moving on. I just hope they come up with something worthwhile to replace them with. Last season, with Cutter gone and Helen absent for most of the season, they were kind of directionless. I guess we've got a couple of major arcs already -- the mysterious guy that Matt's secretly reporting to, and whatever Burton's agenda happens to be (I'm sure he must have one).

wamdue wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
wamdue wrote: View Post

and finally playing an S Club track? really?
Given who is in the cast, I burst out laughing when that came on.
oddly enough that is why I mentioned it, I would have let it go without mention if it wasnt for the fact Abbey is an ex S Clubber (if that is the phrase). I did notice she wasnt moving to the funky s club beat mentioned in the the song.
What the heck is an S Club?

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Wow, BBC America got it "live"? Cool.
Well, several hours behind, but on the same day, evidently. Well, it's still the same day here, but early the next morning there. Let's see, 9 PM EST would be, what, 2 AM GMT?

I miss the older characters. At least Connor and Abby are still around.
They were my least favorites of the original cast. Well, I liked Abby at first, but by series 3 she'd become so surly and unpleasant that I could hardly stand her. The one character I really enjoyed in S3 was Lester, who really came into his own toward the end of S2.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 05:11 AM   #79
Australis
Writer

Sadly...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_Club_7

wamdue, if what you said is correct, I'm stoked!
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 06:32 AM   #80
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

I got a kick out of Connor's Cretaceous-period anomaly detector. Actually, the whole episode was enjoyable. The dinosaurs looked terrific, and the CGI team played "hide the feet" a lot less with them this time -- the raptor looked amazing, and the spinosaurus looked really good in the arena scene.

I'm surprised how much I like the new characters. I still miss Nick Cutter, but Matt Anderson looks like a promising spiritual replacement. And, as Christopher notes, a matured Connor should fill in any gaps given his oath to Cutter as he died. After watching the prequels, I'm excited about his mysterious background. I'm betting the fellow he's in league with -- "Gideon" -- has something to do with research on the North American anomalies and is a tie-in to the Canadian production.

Jess Parker is a bit too flighty. I don't especially care for her as a professional, and doubt she would have been selected for a job like this. Right now, she's an exposition tool useful for the others to explain themselves to. She's the one who should have a mysterious background.

Philip Burton is written as too sinister for my tastes. I suppose it is a sign of the times when a bureaucrat is more appealing than an entrepreneur. My own biases would make Burton more well-meaning, but I'm sure he'll somehow become the heavy in all of this. He's the new Helen Cutter, I'm sure, intent on grabbing a big slice of everybody's pie through manipulation of the anomalies. It tickles me pink that the creative team didn't paint the government guy that way. Oh well, if we're talking about a place where temporal anomalies let dinosaurs play in modern metropolitan locations, I suppose anything is possible.

Anyway, between the series 4 prequels and the first new episode, I'm suddenly back to really liking this show. It's something to keep me going until the new Doctor Who starts airing.

Last edited by Psion; January 2 2011 at 06:55 AM. Reason: That's "period", dufus, not "era".
Psion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 09:05 AM   #81
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

Christopher The original creative team are still involved, it's probably just a new member of the writing staff who wrote it.
As for the episode itself, I enjoyed it. The effects seem to have become better in the two year gap. It's great to see Siddig again, though I'm not too sure of the other cast members yet. Hopefully it can come up with something interesting to keep the series going because I thought last series arc, with the idea of anomalies being responsible for creatures of myths and legends was an interesting one, it was just a shame about the quality of some individual episodes.

I know I'm going to be annoyed by having to wait for series 5 since Watch will be premiering it instead of ITV.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 01:27 PM   #82
John Clark
Commodore

Dimesdan wrote: View Post

Given who is in the cast, I burst out laughing when that came on.
You weren't the only one

It was good to see Alexander Siddig again and I will be tuning in tonight to see the second part
Old January 2 2011, 02:20 PM   #83
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

I Have a question about the ARC. In the opening narration, Lester says that he has been in charge of the ARC for 5 years. This leads me to ask exactly when was the ARC founded? It appeared that post crisis, that the ARC had been around for a while. However, that seems inconsistent with the anomalies being a recent discovery during series 1.

In a similar vein, do you think that we will ever find out what Helen did to change history? No one seemed really concerned that Helen changed history in some pretty significant ways, or worried that there may be other changes that they are not aware of.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 02:35 PM   #84
lennier1
Rear Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
In a similar vein, do you think that we will ever find out what Helen did to change history? No one seemed really concerned that Helen changed history in some pretty significant ways, or worried that there may be other changes that they are not aware of.
Actually the show mostly concentrates on very ancient animals or the future. So far I remember only two cases (ancient Egyptians & medieval knights) where interaction could have directly affected the course of human history without going the route of biological changes.
Pretty much everything else can only be described as occurring off-camera.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 03:40 PM   #85
Christopher
Writer

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
I Have a question about the ARC. In the opening narration, Lester says that he has been in charge of the ARC for 5 years. This leads me to ask exactly when was the ARC founded? It appeared that post crisis, that the ARC had been around for a while. However, that seems inconsistent with the anomalies being a recent discovery during series 1.
Well, as you say, the events of the series 1 finale led to an altered history (I assume that's what you mean by "post crisis"). This narration was from the POV of the Lester from that altered history, so he has no memory of the series 1 version of events, except where they overlap. I have no trouble believing that in the altered history, the anomalies were discovered one year sooner.

Well, nobody was concerned because nobody but Cutter was aware that history had been changed.

And there's no evidence that Helen herself was specifically responsible for the change that erased Claudia and created the ARC timeline. It seems to have been an accidental consequence of whatever Nick and Helen did together back in the Permian, since they returned from there to the altered timeline. Which doesn't really make any sense -- a change 250 million years ago having a surgically precise effect on a few people's lives in the present? No way. Any changes made that long ago would've either been swamped by other factors and made no long-term difference or would've made such a radical change that humanity never existed at all.

Old January 2 2011, 05:32 PM   #86
wamdue
Admiral

Australis wrote: View Post
Sadly...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_Club_7

wamdue, if what you said is correct, I'm stoked!
off topic but

and currently touring under the name S Club 3

I didnt see the big wow about the new ARC, it seeemd alot smaller, having the big space in the old ARC was useful at times of a creature incurcsion, however the tec has gotten better.
Old January 2 2011, 06:07 PM   #87
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

So, episode 2 is on tonight?
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 06:10 PM   #88
John Clark
Commodore

Red Nosed Skutter wrote: View Post
Looks like it. They mentioned it on the credits last night though the ITV guide online describes it as Season 4, episode 1. (The actual episode description differs from last nights episode though)
Old January 2 2011, 06:13 PM   #89
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Red Nosed Skutter wrote: View Post
apparently so, Radio Times says it's on at 7pm. I'll probably catch it on ITVPlayer later.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2011, 06:37 PM   #90
Christopher
Writer

^Apparently BBC America is not following suit. They're doing a Bond marathon today, so we have to wait a week to get episode 2.