Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 14 2011, 07:24 PM   #1
StCoop
Commodore

So, no more barriers to (SPOILERS)

While I fully expect some people to pull a "he was only joking" despite the utter lack of any evidence to back it up, it's now canonical fact that Time Lords can change sex when they Regenerate.

So I guess the only question left is, who do they cast first? I'd be partial to Minnie Driver myself.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: So, no more barriers to a Female Doctor, then.

The already did remove that barrier when Ten regenerated and Eleven wondered if he was a girl this time...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

What's Minnie Driver up to these days?

And I'll always think of her as Debbie from Father Time; that was who Lance Parkin had in mind for the character.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Jax
Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
The already did remove that barrier when Ten regenerated and Eleven wondered if he was a girl this time...
That scene was intended as a joke on the hair, I doubt it was to give the whole sex change a cannon badge However I presumed this was cannon as the Rani did it?

I still think theres a trick or a problem with the regneration to do it besides The Doctor is happy being male it seems.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Iamnotspock
Captain

Re: So, no more barriers to (SPOILERS)

It's a canonical fact that he's half-human.

Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Jax wrote: View Post
That scene was intended as a joke on the hair, I doubt it was to give the whole sex change a canon badge
We've long known that Time Lords can change form when they regenerate; Romana went through several non-humanoid forms before settling on Princess Astra, and wasn't it the ninth Doctor who said that he could end up with two heads? I'm not sure that a sex change would be outside the realm of possibility.

There are some Terran species that do undergo a sex change under certain conditions to help repopulate the species. Might Time Lords be one of them? If the Doctor and Master traveled together, might one regenerate into a woman because of a biological imperative to extend the species?

allyngibson.net
Old May 14 2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Jax
Admiral

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post

Thank god we can use the loophole FOX made them do it
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old May 14 2011, 08:00 PM   #8
StCoop
Commodore

And when was that disproved?
Old May 14 2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Savage Jaw
Lieutenant Commander

Location: Formerly RaggedGlory // The Shining World of the Seven Systems

< DesperateAttemptToMaintainRegenerativeStatusQuo> Perhaps only a small cross-section of Time Lords, like Romana and the Corsair have the gene which gives them the ability to control regeneration in a greater manner, in Romana's case being able to changes species and control appearance, and in the Corsair's case the ability to change gender as well.< / >
Savage Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 08:09 PM   #10
StCoop
Commodore

RaggedGlory wrote: View Post
< DesperateAttemptToMaintainRegenerativeStatusQuo> Perhaps only a small cross-section of Time Lords, like Romana and the Corsair have the gene which gives them the ability to control regeneration in a greater manner, in Romana's case being able to changes species and control appearance, and in the Corsair's case the ability to change gender as well.< / >
Or all Time Lord can choose when and how they Regenerate but since the Doctor's are always against his will his body just picks something close to the last one.

Until it doesn't...
Old May 14 2011, 08:12 PM   #11
Jax
Admiral

^ I could go with that but also The Doctor was a poor student by Time Lord standards right? so maybe he never learn't how too.
Old May 14 2011, 08:13 PM   #12
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
And when was that disproved?
It's been argued by some that what happens to Donna in "Journey's End" proves that the Doctor cannot be half-human, otherwise his mind would have burned out. I'm not certain how the bizarre circumstances of Donna having the Doctor's mind impressed onto hers equates to the conception of a half-human/half-Time Lord child as these two events are completely unalike, but such is the way the minds of fans work sometimes.

allyngibson.net
Old May 14 2011, 08:17 PM   #13
StCoop
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
It's been argued by some that what happens to Donna in "Journey's End" proves that the Doctor cannot be half-human, otherwise his mind would have burned out. I'm not certain how the bizarre circumstances of Donna having the Doctor's mind impressed onto hers equates to the conception of a half-human/half-Time Lord child as these two events are completely unalike, but such is the way the minds of fans work sometimes.
I fully expect epic essays from people trying to disprove this one too.
Old May 14 2011, 08:22 PM   #14
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
I fully expect epic essays from people trying to disprove this one too.
With Gallifrey Base is full of speculation about how Canton Everett Delaware III is River Song's third regeneration (a "canto" is a song, the Delaware is a river), I am filled with despair for the rationality of fandom. Not everything is a tea leaf to be parsed. Some things should be taken at face value. *sigh*

allyngibson.net
Old May 14 2011, 08:25 PM   #15
Bones
Commodore

I choose to dismiss it out of hand.

Or else, dismiss it in hand. Maybe whatever-the-name-was had a taste for cross-dressing on a couple of goes.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote