Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 25 2010, 08:20 AM   #1
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Transformers: Exodus (Novel) Discussion

I thought it was coming out next month but it's out already as of this week and I'm waiting for my library to get their copies in as usual. The book depicts the history of the war between the Decepticons and Autobots and is supposed to be cannon tie in to the upcoming "Transformers:Prime" animated series and originally to "Transformers War for Cybertron" but I guess that was nixed by Hasbro. The reviews I've read from Transfans about it have been largely positive so far...would be interested in knowing if anyone has bought it or read it yet and what their thoughts on it are. Here are the first four chapters online...I read them the other day and can't wait to read the book.

http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/e...US_excerpt.pdf

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Char Aznable
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Transformers: Exodus (Novel) Discussion

Hmmm the tag line reads "The Official History of the War for Cybertron." Are you sure it's no longer related?

Anyway, it could be interesting, but I think I'm going to wait until I hear some word of mouth. I've already read "War Within" years ago as well as seen the G1 ep "War Dawn," so I'm not sure how many renditions of the Great War's origins and Optimus' ascention there really need to be.
Char Aznable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Yes, the stories of Exodus and War for Cybertron are apparently completely incompatible. My guess is they take place in the same cluster of universal streams, but not in the same universe.

Oh, tfwiki mentions that one of the 13 are in this novel. I haven't read it, but can anyone tell me which one?
Old June 26 2010, 12:22 AM   #4
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

It's

Old June 26 2010, 02:01 AM   #5
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Char Aznable wrote: View Post
Hmmm the tag line reads "The Official History of the War for Cybertron." Are you sure it's no longer related?

Anyway, it could be interesting, but I think I'm going to wait until I hear some word of mouth. I've already read "War Within" years ago as well as seen the G1 ep "War Dawn," so I'm not sure how many renditions of the Great War's origins and Optimus' ascention there really need to be.
Well this is the "official history" so I guess the rest are not very "official".
Old June 26 2010, 02:11 AM   #6
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yes apparently hasbro has endorsed this thus the chapters I linked to in my post being available on their website and it seems like this will be tied into the upcoming series "Transformers Prime".

Old June 26 2010, 02:12 AM   #7
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Of course they're all official. The Transformers multiverse consists of over 15 quadrillion concurrent realities.
Old June 26 2010, 08:35 AM   #8
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Interesting story. Reminds me a lot of War Within.
Old July 3 2010, 09:40 AM   #9
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

That's what I thought when I read the preview chapters online...my guess is that Irvine read that before he started to write the book. He seems like he's a TF fan.

Old July 6 2010, 01:53 AM   #10
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

"War for Cybertron" and "Exodus" are the "official" histories of the current continuity going forward. Current toys including Power Core Combiners can be accepted as part of this continuity (though their exact place has not yet been developed). This is also the official history of "Transformers: Prime" as well. That idea has not been nixed, it is very much alive (this was discussed at Botcon 2010 with some of the Hasbro folks).

I'm about a quarter of the way in and so far I'm enjoying the book. It takes a much more detailed approach to the history between the Autobots and the Decepticons. It uses a lot of the elements from past continuities including the G1 cartoon, the G1 Marvel Comics, the Unicron Trilogy and even Beast Wars. I can see how the continuities are blending in this new one and I like it. So far so good.
Old July 13 2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I just finished the book and enjoyed it quite a bit. Agreed with God Magnus with regards to Irvine's use of previous continutity as there are homages and references to previous incarnations of Transformers lore. Wasn't too keen on his writing style though for some reason. I think it could have been faster paced. I liked the relationship between Megatron and Optimus Prime along with Megs jealousy over Optimus's destiny. I'd like to see a follow up book taking place on Earth but I guess that's what "Transformers Prime" will deal with.