Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 12 2012, 09:18 PM   #76
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Re: Is a Hollywood liberal conspiracy keeping 'Red Dawn' from release?

^^
The thread's two years old, it was just necroed now.
Old August 12 2012, 09:48 PM   #77
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

To be fair, the movie still hasn't opened . . . .
Old August 12 2012, 09:53 PM   #78
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Well, the original movie wasn't exactly plausible, either. I find both scenarios (China invading and NK invading) equally ridiculous. Considering the economic ties China has with the West and the US and NK's government's crazyness, I tend to think North Korea trying something like that is actually a tad more plausible.
Old August 12 2012, 09:53 PM   #79
Skywalker
Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
They're probably just worried about pissing off the Chinese.

It is rather disturbing that a foreign power can essentially keep us from releasing a movie that we ourselves made.
Looks like MLB's comment wasn't so dumb after all.

Fucking North Korea? Why not just make them Space Commies instead to be more realistic?
The basic thought (let's not piss off China) wasn't dumb. Of course the studios don't want to upset the Chinese. That's a huge box office market, and they'd be stupid not to take advantage of it.

What was dumb was the paranoid handwringing. The movie was delayed for so long because MGM had been going through bankruptcy issues, nothing more. It's the same reason why Skyfall has taken so long to get made. At some point during the delay, either MGM or the people actually working on the movie realized "Hey, why throw away all that potential Chinese revenue over a dumb, silly action movie?" So they took advantage of the delay by altering the movie in post-production to make the Chinese invaders North Koreans.

Is it stupid and implausible? Sure, but the Chinese actually invading the United States was pretty implausible, too. Not just because they simply can't do it (yet), but because the two countries have far too many economic entanglements to risk going to war. The US owes China boatloads of cash. Why throw all that away over a dumb, silly war?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 07:53 AM   #80
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Is it stupid and implausible? Sure, but the Chinese actually invading the United States was pretty implausible, too. Not just because they simply can't do it (yet), but because the two countries have far too many economic entanglements to risk going to war. The US owes China boatloads of cash. Why throw all that away over a dumb, silly war?
is there enough gold in Fort Knox so they can steal it back? or the better question. Is there any gold there?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 12:10 AM   #81
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

We went to the movies this weekend, and they played the trailer for "Red Dawn," and the audience laughed at it--and not in a good way.

I'm thinking that reaction is one of the main reasons, along with the edits and the MGM bankruptcy, that no one was in a particular rush to release this.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 05:58 AM   #82
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

NK invading the US is about as plausible as the UK invading Russia. Even if the entire population was mobilized and given a rifle and a ride on the invisible fleet that bypasses our navy, air force and THE PACIFIC OCEAN, then defeats our army and marines, they still couldn't occupy California, let alone the west coast or wider U.S. There are less North Koreans than there are Californians, by about 12 million. At least the Chinese have the numbers to be a threat, if not the navy or air force or logistics chain to have a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding.

The Norks have magic EMPs, though, so it's all good.

Wolverines!

(I'll still see the matinee in the hope it's as complete hilarious cheese as the original)
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 07:39 AM   #83
EmoBorg
Captain

Realistically China is more likely to invade than North Korea. To change the enemy in the Red Dawn Remake from China to North Korea is ridiculous. North Korea will have a hard time fighting the technologically superior South Koreans. It is extremely impossible for them to invade the US mainland.

For the makers of this movie to make these changes so that they will not suffer a backlash from the PRC government is an act of pure cowardice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySo7-zkprNo

Last edited by EmoBorg; August 14 2012 at 09:48 AM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 08:40 AM   #84
Skywalker
Admiral

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
For the makers of this movie to make these changes so that they will not suffer a backlash from the PRC government is an act of pure cowardice.
Capitalism's a bitch, ain't it?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 08:43 AM   #85
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Why don't they just make the characters defend a small Pacific Island?

That would make more sense.
Old August 14 2012, 03:09 PM   #86
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Why don't they just make the characters defend a small Pacific Island?

That would make more sense.
That reminds me. They should turn the first Operation: Flashpoint game into a movie. That was actually fairly plausible, and cool.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 03:23 PM   #87
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Well, the original movie wasn't exactly plausible, either. I find both scenarios (China invading and NK invading) equally ridiculous. Considering the economic ties China has with the West and the US
Actually, given that the US's biggest ties with China involve us owing them money I can see a plausible scenario of china calling in its loans, The US defaulting, and China exacting a penalty in the form of demanding (or conquering) American territory in compensation or demanding American compliance as they take Taiwan back by force and make moves to dominate the Pacific Rim.

But the leftists keep telling me China and the US are best buds now, so whatever...

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 03:28 PM   #88
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Well, the original movie wasn't exactly plausible, either. I find both scenarios (China invading and NK invading) equally ridiculous. Considering the economic ties China has with the West and the US
Actually, given that the US's biggest ties with China involve us owing them money I can see a plausible scenario of china calling in its loans, The US defaulting, and China exacting a penalty in the form of demanding (or conquering) American territory in compensation or demanding American compliance as they take Taiwan back by force and make moves to dominate the Pacific Rim.

But the leftists keep telling me China and the US are best buds now, so whatever...

You may want to study up on world affairs a bit more, because the scenario you're describing is not the least bit plausible. China's not interested in invading anyone, except maybe Taiwan, and even that, they would only do if Taiwan did something provocative (like unilaterally declaring independence, which I would hope they aren't dumb enough to do.) China likes the status quo. If the US simply quit paying them, China can hurt us right back by refusing to export anything to us--which, of course, also hurts China.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 03:35 PM   #89
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

How would they get there and besides what would stop an US nuclear sub from bombing Beijing?
Old August 14 2012, 03:45 PM   #90
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post

How would they get there
China just bought an aircraft carrier from Russia. I'm pretty sure they'd be willing to buy transport ships and planes to go with it.

and besides what would stop an US nuclear sub from bombing Beijing?
Nothing. The same nothing that would stop the Chinese governement from retreating to emergency shelters before the weapons hit and launching the campaign anyway.

But whatever...China loves us and would never hurt us...okay...

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote